1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for insight.

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by nfahred, Nov 1, 2009.

1. nfahred

nfahred Big Dog

This question may seem simple in nature to some but I was wondering,...If given the chance to acquire a inbred pup (sis/bro) off of a particular line or a line bred pup off that same line (giving all dogs or equal in producing quality stuff), which pup scenario would you think would have a higher percentage of creating quality dogs? I ask this because it is of my understanding that by inbreeding you are basically doubling up on traits, both good and bad. With that said, which would be the best direction to take and why in your opinions?

2. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Something down from Bell's Baby Jones;)

3. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

i only want heavy inbred dogs if i bred most of the dogs behind it. or if i seen more then enough from the family to understand the avg of the family. i never hold my breath on a pup especially when i get just one from a litter. inbreeding is just a tool when used right it can produce monsters. but you need to really understand why your inbreeding in the first place. the man behind the dogs is the most important factors. a dipshit can have tight bullyson but won't produce what Rgang did.

4. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

I like the line bred pup over the sis/bro. But, that also depends on how tight the sire and dam were bred. If they were both inbred then that would be a toss up and based on the sire and dam production record together or there accomplishments.

5. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

Good post!! The best performance dog I ever owned is off a bro/sis breeding. Her positives are great but her negatives are just a bad, she's timid, irregular heat cycle, and a cronic chewer like both parents. But both parent were above average performers and she is as well. So just be aware of the family traits (good and bad), before you pay for a inbred pup. I prefer line bred dogs over heavily inbred, but you can get great results from both if the breeder knows what he's doing. Good luck with it.

6. nfahred

nfahred Big Dog

Thanks for all of the feedback. The male is approaching 7yrs of age so he breeding back to each other in order to attempt to recreate that litter that the male came out of. Well that atleast how it was explained to me. the bro is a true bulldog and sis showed well and was kept as brood stock. Heavy boyles stuff. some of the dogs in his 2nd and 3rd gen are Ch keybump, Ch emmit,D. beetle bailey, andy capp,...backed by plenty more good dogs. So hopefully i will get a monster to be proud of.

7. shortbedder

shortbedder Big Dog

Some great dogs up close mentioned, good luck with it

8. An inbred (family) dog will throw a greater number of dogs per litter like itself due to the reduced gene pool it has. All the traits in a breeding of this type will be locked in to the genetics and any faults will be extremely difficult to remove and will take many generations of very hard culling.
    Therefore, to do an inbreeding the dogs in question must be alot more than just good bulldogs, they must be near as perfect as can be in their health and mental deveopment since any defects will become locked in and magnified.
    However if you do get a well bred dog that is inbred and he proves to be a bulldog then you have yourself a very good producer by all rights.*

*there are exceptions to every rule.

9. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

Twice the good, triple the trash.

10. homer39

homer39 Banned

the only problem with not breeding form curs is to many curs have produced winners

11. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

i like to land in the middle of the line bred dog and the inbred dog...when keeping the family and having access to littermates this is the way i like to go...two brothers...best two in a litter...cross one out and come back to the uncle with the best daughter....on paper it looks inbred, but is actually doubling on the family line without doubling on the individual dog....was prominent method in the old days but seldom used today because it means keeping a lot of dogs, two or three from each litter and testing for yourself....that means a great reduction in puppy sales...which is what it's all about....LOL....s.

12. phill

phill Top Dog

13. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

i like slims view;)

14. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

15. slim12

this dog is an excellent example. scrolling back thru his pedigree there are several lines of great dogs....although up close he is from the same 'family' there is a ton of 'non-bolio/non-boyles' lines that led to this particular lines success....if brought a straight boomerang bitch to this dog it would look like a bolio/boyles X eli type cross...but the spike/boomerang/ironhead stuff from back in the day made the dogs that made this dog...sometimes looking at paper can be deceiving...then it is the variable that makes breeding more of an art than science...breed this dog to the best bitch you have...an all-out cross...and the best bitch from the litter takes virtually no traits from him and is carrying what appears to be everything from the mother...breed his daughter back to him and you have an 'on-paper' inbred dog....but could very well be an outcross just like the orginal breeding...this is where a lot of the inbred performers come from...which in turn is where the best-to-best originated from...just a thought...s

16. phill

phill Top Dog

wow man would i like to sit around you at the dog show for a while and you didn't even get mad at me for posting his ped

17. phill

phill Top Dog

slim you mentioned iron head i punched in on google carver bred dogs what came up was some guy called chopper --n and claims to have alot of iron head ,,latter on at some show i had a copy of one of his peds showed somebody said stayaway known as a pedler never looked him back up some of the were mostly white something i would not want but some looked good is it worth looking into

18. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

great thread nfahred, thanks!

19. slim12

personally, i would steer clear...

20. nfahred

nfahred Big Dog

Glad to ask something which has generated so much interest! lol I have the pup now. He's almost 5months and is a handful. Can't wait till he matures!:D:dogtongue: