1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

looking for a true game bred pit

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by viegas703, Jan 20, 2010.

1. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

very,very true

2. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

thanks for the responses. im looking around a lot of kennels websites, making sure i know exactly what i want. Never had the intention to rush into a purchase. Ive actually been around the breed for sometime, unfortunately never owned one.

3. if your serious-http://lighthousekennel.webs.com/

4. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Get yourself a peds online account, you will have no problem finding a hound in your area.;) Or you could go to shows or weight pulls and meet some folks, get aquainted with someone who has something you like and go from there.....JMO

5. Robber

Robber Big Dog

The term is thrown around alot and means different things to different people - Jelet's interpretation is a fairly strict interpretation(which isn't a bad one, btw) - some use it to mean what you are saying, a dog with game dogs in its background but not necessarily with recent generations that have been game tested.

6. scooter

scooter Big Dog

My reply would be exactly like Bobby Roosters. If you seriously want to see about a "gamebred" weight pulling dog, you will have to go to some ADBA shows and ask around. There should be plenty of people there to answer your questions. Please be sure that you are prepared for the kind of dog that you are asking about. This breed is NOT for just anyone. They come with a huge responsibility of ownership.

7. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

atleast someone understands my way of looking at it, never had intentions of buying a fighting dog. Just wanted a dog of good bloodline. But give everyone an update. Everything took a crazy twist these past two days. A friend of mine bought a brindle pitbull puppy this past sunday. Unfortunately the moms doesnt like dogs and they had to get rid of him, they were desperate and i didnt want him going to a shelter so i glady took him. Hes a very well tempered 10 week old dog, and very smart. He is not scared of a THING. Very playful, full of energy, happy, plays with my parents 2 dobermans(male and female) and he plays quiet rough aswell. play fights with them, runs around with them. Im happy hes not a shy dog or a skittish dog, not even of the vacumme or 2 older much larger dogs. A lot of you might bash for taking in a dog, but i didnt want him going to a shelter or them giving him to a family where he wont be treated and raised the way he should. He has a lot of potential to be a great dog in my opinion. i will post pics tomorrow when i get the chance, im also getting all his papers tomorrow.

8. drunkmuppet

drunkmuppet Big Dog

Plenty of good dogs in VA. But you must remeber the whole Ron Mexico thing went down here. You are never gonna find a good dog by asking in the manner that you are. You know, like a fed. But there are a lot of good dogs in VA. Went through the same thing you seem to be going through. Only difference is i stopped for a good "game" dog and started looking for a good dog. By the way, have you checked your local shelter? If you never had a game dog then what difference does the paperwork or bloodline mean to you? I have never seen a leash on a pedigree.:rolleyes:

9. Seems to me that people now erroneously define a "purebred" apbt with a "gamebred" one. Way back when, there was no such thing as a "gamebred" apbt. There were those that were proven and merited breeding and those that didn't.

10. puppdlr

puppdlr Pup

Saw a letter from J P Colby to Joe Corvino and the question asked was ' was the white dog you sent out here a "Game Bred" dog? So these Breeders both used the term. There aren't too many dogs bred that way ,then ,or now.

11. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

there wouldnt have been a reason for the term game bred back then.
    i like the the way it was either a "bulldog" or a "cur"

12. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

You guys are right, it was my ignorance for asking the way I did. I just out game bred in the same category as a well bred dog. I'm deginetely not a fed or dogfighter, not fond of either actually. Not at all. I hope all goes well with the new pup, he's a joy right. Very attatched to me and goes everywhere I go. He's my shadow. Is this normal behavior for a pitbull to be very close to one owner, my Doberman is the same.

13. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

drop the dog fighting talk mate , your the only one here who has mentioned it.

good luck on the new dog, there is nothing wrong with saving a dog from being put in the ground, and its a good way for you to start in the breed, let us know when you get your papers im sure no matter how its bred someone here will be able to tell you something.
    go through the old threads and have a look on chain setups ect and get yourself setup properly, you now have alot of responsibility on your shoulders for both yourself and the dog.
    good luck and enjoy!

14. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

All I do is read about the breed. Doing the best I can to get all the knowledge possible. I'll be updating soon, putting pics aswell. Very good dog as far as I can tell and very intelligent, all I know is he is very attatched to me only. At his old home they were afraid of dogs and have him no attention and even though he's ony 10 weeks he doesn't trust women. The mom was scared of him( he'll if I know why). Can this be overcome? I socialize him a lot, take him everywhere I go literally. I don't baby him at all neither, he's doing real well with potty training. Any advice on helping him trust women? Cause he's not scared of anything not even larger dogs, infact he gets real rough with them. Just doesn't trust older women. Any help?

15. vic713

vic713 Pup

I really would love to get a Mayday pup. I've only had one Redboy/ Redboy cross dog. Most of the local guys I know are big on Boudreaux.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  16. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Big Dog

Just let him be a pup..give him time to adjust, It is a new experience for the pup he was at your friends now with you being bounced around... let him be a pup and get used to his new living situation. P.S. congrats and enjoy the puppy years they go fast.:cool:

17. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

i was hoping for a response like that. I was thinking the same thing but its nice to be reassured. Hes coming along very well.

18. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Big Dog

I will be in VA in a few months if ya want to chat or have questions about socialization...let me know

19. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Ofcourse, always willing to learn. How does the average pit get along with other dogs if they are raised together? For example a dogo argentino of the same sex

20. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Big Dog

I have a single girl right now not a fan of having two girls together..but thats me. accidents happen and Dogos can be and are human aggressive so not cool with me. Not a hater but alot of the USA stock is crap so I don't trust it...