1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at getting my first real one

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by wilburfrank, Oct 11, 2022.

1. I found one and really like the sire and dam dogs.

this will be my first real one so I may have some dumb questions. My goal is to avoid having a stupid accident that I could have easily prevented with research.

my biggest question, if I get a male, are they generally ok with female dogs such as a lab? Or is it best just to have a male pitbull separate from any other dog in the house?
    The pet bulls I’ve had weren’t dog aggressive at alll but this will be my first well bred one.

2. forgot to mention, doing my research to avoid being an idiotic owner that hurts the breed

3. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Get another Lab

GrChHaunch likes this.
  4. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

What is the fascination with " a real one " who decides if one is real or fake.

Revelator likes this.
  5. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

Where are you getting this 'real one' from? As far as your other pitbulls, you were lucky they weren't dog aggressive. Most pit bulls are.

6. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

It has been my experience (owned 3 females) that females will fight everything and anything. I even had a mother son pairing, and they still fought. My females started things more often than my males. Some more experienced dog men on the forum may claim that there are game bred dogs that won't fight, but that has not been my experience. The one time I did a breeding, one of the dogs was cold, she was an exception not the rule.

And what do you mean by "real one." I would define that is proven winners up close (parents, grandparents) in the ped.

7. chili

chili Big Dog

I think we all know the fascination with real ones or we wouldn’t be on these forums.

Real one is defined by the beholder.

In my limited experience, had to separate mine when the APBT hit 10 months. Even when my larger dog showed appeasement signs, he would jump her (and proceed to get his ass whooped lol!). The guy was hot for any action from a very young age tho, including people.

Your experience may vary of course. But a non-DA APBT is the exception to the rule and id wager a rare exception at that. Prepare for the worst. expect the worst. Hope for the best lol.

8. patjr

patjr Top Dog

Buy a crate and use it accordingly even if they grow up to get along.

Michele likes this.