1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Look at this

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by CB, Apr 10, 2006.

1. davidlau_2002

davidlau_2002 Top Dog

my dog always makes a big ruckus at night when the lights are out and we are sleeping when someone walks near our door or the front walkway. he barks with a low growl and runs towards the door. i doubt that if a person walked through those doors he would bite but he's a great house alarm. if an intruder walked through the door and said his name in a high tone he would probably wag his tail and me and my girlfriend would be goners. LOL!

2. NOLEFAN

NOLEFAN Guest

Catcher, you may want to pick up a book about dogs sometime. You're missing it. Dogs can see when your facial expressions change, or your mannerisms change, and become tense. Dogs also smell the feramones and other chemicals we release when we are afraid. You may not know it, but they do. Can a dog sense that a thug punk is about to rob you? No....but they know something isn't right by your reaction to it when it happens. Protection training is different. They are trained what to do by command, just like cops are trained. We know if someone robbed us we would like to handle them, but training makes that a reaction, not just a thought. They are teaching the dog what to do in any situation. Some dogs will naturally react and some are just too passive and may become afraid them selves. Read a book man, spreading ignorance is dangerous!

3. runt

runt Big Dog

looks like he was trying to protect him to me,and its no surprise because if I'm walking mines and someone raise their voice or try to grab me it gets ugly fast.

4. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

The DO sense when a human is in danger, have you missed all the animal hero specials? I don't see how you could connect the word "logic" with instint. It is something the animal is born with or not. That is why only select dogs from a litter that were intended for protection work are chosen to be trained and even then some don't finish training. There has to be an inborn drive for it, that is why many people desire certain breeds for protection. Ask anyone who has owned a well bred doberman what kind of training it needed to ward off evil doers!

Protection training does nothing but put a command on something that is already there. The training enables the handler to call the dog off (something the guy in this video was unable to do) put the dog on someone, etc. It also shows the dog where to bite or approach the decoy. All it does is work on what is already there (bite work, etc.) and gives the handler a very good hold on the dogs abilities. Dogs do protect without any training and this is one of the reasons why the dog was domesticated to begin with. It is proven fact that a dog can smell fear and other emotions, things you could not believe. I have read SEVERAL stories of dogs not only protecting but pinning people without any training. I also owned 3 dobermans (my fav. breed) this breed is the only AKC recognized breed intended for protection of it's human and believe me, no training is necissary.

5. I know my 1 year old pit, is very territorial....Whenever i go over to my mother's house, if i lay on the ground, she will lay right next to me..When my mom's dog comes over by me, my dog gets very territorial and barks/growls at the other dog to get away....I am not sure how she would be with people, because pretty much anyone can pick her up and take her home...She is that friendly...But very territorial....I think the dog in the video was very territorial with the owner.....not so much protecting..IMO

6. NOLEFAN

NOLEFAN Guest

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>I know my 1 year old pit, is very territorial....Whenever i go over to my mother's house, if i lay on the ground, she will lay right next to me..When my mom's dog comes over by me, my dog gets very territorial and barks/growls at the other dog to get away....I am not sure how she would be with people, because pretty much anyone can pick her up and take her home...She is that friendly...But very territorial....I think the dog in the video was very territorial with the owner.....not so much protecting..IMO
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=postbit_left_column>[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

would that not be protecting their territory? (even if that is all it is) and our you saying your dog is your master because you are his territory? does he mark you in order to claim you? that makes no sense

7. Hillbilly Pit

Hillbilly Pit Big Dog

I disagree. A freind of mine had a dog that he rased from a pup. When he's daughter came a long and he was up in age you touch here the wrong way and it didn't matter that it was her mom, dad, sister Ex. this dog would rip your throat out. It was the same with purty much all the family though. The only training he had was LOVE.

8. That is what i said im my post, she is very territorial....she doesn't want me to pet any other dog...very jealous...Why would she be my master...i never said anything about marking territory...I just simply agreed with one other that the dog in the video is not protecting the owner...Just that she is protecting the territory...

9. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Alot of the times that is the reason for an aggressive dog-territorial issues from the owners thinking they are doing the right thing by constant "LOVE". Although all dogs need to be loved,theres a diffrence between being a good owner, and making your dog feel like the leader of the pack by letting it to whatever it wants. Why do you think chi-wah-wahs are so mean? Pomeranians? Not so much because of breeding, I've seen great dogs of both. Its the owners who get these dogs, dress them up daily, have gucci beds for them, sleep on the couch if their dog wants the bed, gives them anything it wants on their plate, etc. Instead of bringing this up on a public forum though, I would of shot the dog on the spot and dishonored its name for the rest of my life. That dog doesnt deserve to be spoken of, lead salad dirt nap is in order.

10. sy82nj

sy82nj Top Dog

just remember any dog with or without teeth can be a man biter. an aggessation can make a dog into a man biter. but they are not my style of dog. because i'll handleman when need be. rod holla at me i got a new bitch

11. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

because u read a book makes u an authoritarin on dog traininig? dogs do read facial changes and sweat changes,,they do sense something is not right,,do they say to themselves "I must protect this human" no,,they do not. I don't spread my ignorance with a book,,I don't believe everything I read,,I find out for myself.

12. NOLEFAN

NOLEFAN Guest

Your right, My having owned pitbulls for twenty years is enough for me. I just thought a book might give you a basic start in understanding the basics. I don't know if dogs say that or not, I have never spoken to a dog that talked back. Obviously you don't find out for your self because your wrong. I might want to mention to you my aunt teaches "The Behavoural Science of Domestic Animals". I often help her rescue animals and have listened to someone who knows this because it is their job to know. What are your credentials? Your dog that doesn't defend you? One dog? You say you find out for yourself, but you seem to know all about me. I may be new here, but these dogs are the only ones i have ever known. Have you ever read a book? I agree, don't believe everything you read or hear, but not everything we read is wrong. Just because your dog doesn't do it, doesn't mean dogs don't do it!

13. mikefromMD

mikefromMD Top Dog

My mother, who was in here 60's at the time feel down and cracked her shoulder while walking her Chow-Chow. She couldn't get up right away and that dog sat there with her for an hour before she could get her senses and attempt to get up. The dog stayed there and let her use him as a brace so she could prop herself up and get on her feet to get back to her house.

Any other time, if that dog could get free to run he would be gone, but not that time... He knew my mother was hurt and he stayed to help her... plain and simple.

14. Marty

Marty Guest

All I can tell you is dogs can sense something is wrong, they can sense that someone is up to no good and they have a very good sense of charcter, no book learning can teach you hands on experience with this breed ;)

15. bdub

bdub Top Dog

wrong catcher ,,pits do protect their owners when they sense someone is gonna cause them harm killer tried to attack this dude who thought he was gonna rob medude ran the other way when he went off on him

16. NOLEFAN

NOLEFAN Guest

Right, and no hands on experience can teach you in a fail safe environment like book learning. It would make sense to me that if you really wanted this breed then you would do your homework, by reading and research (also probably contains reading), before you try hands on experience. My point was to say that if anyone thinks dogs are not protective of their owner, and/or territory, then they need to read a book about dogs because they are lacking common knowledge of the species. Not just "this breed" , which is just a dog as well, but any breed. I find it funny that a lot of people say "our breed is no different than any other breed" when it comes to BSL, but seem to find some signifigant differences when it suits their argument, or suits there tough guy image.

17. Hillbilly Pit

Hillbilly Pit Big Dog

the dog in Q was on a 5/16 chain about all his life. He stayed out side all his life. If he got out of line the owner (my friend) would take a two by four to his head. If the wife wanted him (the dog to bite you he would) this dosen't mean that he bit people. It means that the dog done what she wanted. The dog was not a man bitter. He was overly pertectiv of the little girl. And when i mean LOVE he gave the dog all he needed food, water, shealter,leadership,and corection when needed. If the dog got out of line the owner would be there to put him back in line. So if you still think that the dog was the boss i'm sorry.

18. Marty

Marty Guest

Although I can't disagree with you, because books do tend to be a good start, but until it's time to deal with a situation dealing with them, you do not know anything about the subject. It doesn't matter how many times you've read or heard somebody tell you how to handle it, you simply do not have the experience to "know." Books and all around literature can guide you in the right direction and give you hints about what you could do, but each dog is different and depending on the situation, may call for there to be a change of plans and that so-called "knowledge" may not mean anything. And, as far as "how the dogs are" and "...aren't," some may fit the bill and some may not. People say "Pit Bull will not bite a person" and most believe it to be true if bred by a "responsible breeder," but the dog has teeth, and under certain circumstances, will bite. There are plenty of flaws in what you "read" and "hear."

Vicki likes this.
  19. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Then we are on the opposite end of the spectrum, but its still behavioral problems stemming from the careless owners. Beating a dog in the head with a 2x4?! Dog staying on a chain its entire life? No wonder there were problems!

20. Marty

Marty Guest

I hear ya rock! these dogs thrive on human companionship and deserve better than that :(