1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Lisences for breeding dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Hells Bells, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

If it came down to the two choices.. having BSL type laws enacted.. such as mandatory spay and neuter, dog muzzled, dogs euthanized, ect.

Not all, but a lot of byb are who are leading to the downfall of many of our favorite breeds. By pumping out un health tested pups.

In my city I have been told that you are supposed to have a breeding license to breed dogs. But it's obviously not enforced. There are a few places around town where people set up their signs and sell pups out the back of their SUV or truck to complete strangers.

FOR ALL DOG BREEDS, not limited to pit bull breeds. A license attained by the government, regulating how often it's safe to breed a female. Perhaps some of the Kennel Clubs could have a class about proper breeding practices and responsible placement of pups.

I hate to put more government legislation on people. But I'm tired of people breeding their dogs to make a quick buck. And when did people start buying pups for any amount of money that didn't have papers. Look people are breeding mutts and charging 1,000's of dollars on these designer breeds. Excuse me! You can get a fully vac and spayed/neutered dog from your local shelter and pay about 60 bucks for the cost of the surgery and shots. Seems reasonable enough to me.

And there are no accidental breedings.. if you choose not to breed your female than have her spayed at an appropriate age. If people actually did this than maybe they wouldn't have "opps" litters when their neighbors male jumped the fence and bred their bitch.

I gladly spay my female dogs. I've never had a litter of pups, but time can never tell. But since I am a firm believer in altering pets. You can be sure that it's not going to happen anytime soon. If it cut down on bad breeders I can see it being a good thing.

2. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

lol. I don't think that's our biggest issue.

I am fully against enacting (more) unnecessary legislation. I agree that there is a "problem", but what you've said is walking on a very slippery slope.

3. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

If they have it in your city and it hasn't worked then that pretty much shows how effective it would be.Besides I'm 110% against the government intruding in my life any more than it already is.The government shouldn't have any business telling someone what to do with their pets.

4. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Just when I was starting to.... Well.... Even as much as I dislike breeders as a whole of all breeds.. I'll be damned if the gov. Should get involved tell us what we can or can not breed... And On what and by Who's standards....?? The gov's...? Hahahahaha...

I Hate Gov. Intervetion... IMO the gov should be as small as possible keeping peace, protecting our safty, and in Fear of the people NOT ruling over the people like Kings...

Good breeders get rewarded, their reputation increases as they produce quality... Bad breeders... Well make the fast buck and that's them.. All we can do and the only thing we should do is Educate... And educate people the right way with the right motives and hopefully convert those who we teach, IT can be done trust me...

It worked for me, and in turn I have taught many others in which they teach others and so on...

All we can do is Focus on WHAT WE do... How do curr breeders effect the quality of my Stock??? You see They don't... In fact they just make the field trails and weight pulls easier...

5. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

I think the only person it would affect is the small hobby breeders the actually do good for the breed, whether it be PR work, showing, wp, etc. They already have limited funds as it is to do all the work, training, and shows along with health testing if they choose to do so. The ones that are pumping out litter after litter and puppy mills are making enough money off their pups to afford the breeder license, where as people like me (which I don't breed, but if I did) wouldn't be able to afford a huge fee every year since all I have goes to the dogs.

6. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Very valid points everyone. I just wanted to see what the general idea is. I just wish there was a way to regulate breeding somehow. Or mandatory spay/neuter on house pets... well I guess a show dog might be considered a house pet. That wouldn't be good.. I don't know I just wish we could cut down the numbers on the pups being born every day and ending up being euthed at the pound as a little pup.. :(

7. Nikita

Nikita Big Dog

Also in California you are souped to have a business Licensee to sell you Puppys so you can bust Alot of BYB by asking for a business Licensee

8. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

How is it any different than if a breeder culls or the pound?? They are culled/pts for the same reason.. They are unwanted....

Just different reasons why said dog is a cull...

My heart doesn't bleed for dogs/pups getting pts... Its a shame, yes, it's the breeders of those dogs fault and I dislike those types of people and will not associate myself with those ppl that what I feel contribute to that.. it happens but I'm not saddened by it... More angered and disappointed by it... Maybe if the old timers put a bullet in everydog that didn't make... Maybe we wouldn't have soooooo maybe untrue American (pit) Bull-Terriers....

9. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

To alow the goverment to restrict or regulate anything would be a joke (just look at our economy, they can't keep our country out of debt or even stabilize it) not only that but once you let them in, it's almost imposible to stop them from doing whatever they want to do. And to the all the people who have continued to be TRUE to this piticular breed of dog, do you really want the goverment coming to your door to inspect your yard..........HELLS_NO!:rolleyes:
    People are going to do what they do wether you like it your not, thats the benefit of living in a so called free society. The goverment is already way too involved in it's citizens lives as it is now and you want them to be involved with what many concider their property? Bobby_Rooster is right, education is the key, and much more of it on a much larger scale.

But at the end of the day, if people wouldn't support those types of breeders, then they wouldn't have much of a market to sell in, and like it was said earlier in this thread I don't feel sad about all the unwanted dogs that get pts. it's like culling in a way, if anything, it's keeping population in check. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
  10. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Dont even get me started! In 5 years the last thing yall will have to think about is dogs. Its going to be more like I hope no one puts me in a camp for not having the mark of the beast. Hide and watch our goverment is going to crush our way of life.

11. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Regulations should not be something in place for pet owners. The Gov already has too much control over what we do, more laws are not going to help. Crystal is right, who do you think these law affect? Not the BYB who breed anyway with out a permit. It will affect someone like me who obeys the law. I moved to a county where I can breed and own as many dogs as I want. I also show up to all the Animal control meeting to make sure they do not pass stupid laws like the big cities. Many breeders her in NM (all breeds) moved to this small town because they have laws that make sense. The big city ran all of us out by doing mandatory s/n and a 4 dog limit. If you have an intact animal it costs $150 per dog per year to license. REALLY who does that help? Most people now do not register their dogs! I pay $25 a year and I can breed and own as many dogs as I want. I have a kennel inspection every year, and Treadmills, break sticks, and breeding stands are not illegal. I wish it was like this every where but we as dog owners fight every meeting to keep our right to do what we want with our dogs. We have some AR people on the board but last time they tried to make BS laws over 300 people in our little community showed up to fight it.
    Sorry I got a little off topic but if you sit back and do nothing and don't get involved in what is going on in your county then you will end up with the gov trying to tell you how to wipe your a$$.

12. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

The breeders license would do nothing but send the Feds to our doors.. Its bad enough that commercial registries are giving out info as it is...that's why my dogs have not been reg'd in over 15 years.. if somebody gets a pup from my family, they get a handwritten ped..lol...everybody my uncle gives a dog to is family anyway...if you deal with strangers,you go to prison.... Long story short.... Fuk that breeders license...I don't need the police at my door

13. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

I wasn't actually proposing this to happen. I just wanted to see what everyone thought. I've seen this topic before on other boards. The vast majority of people are going to continue to buy pups from byb either from newspaper, craiglist or outside wal mart. Especially if they don't want to pay so much money for a non show quality pet.

14. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

You can't be serious....

15. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I like dogs and know this will sound bad but I'm going to say it and hope it isn't taken the wrong way.Dogs when it's all said and done are animals and are peoples property.While I don't approve of alot of the breedings taking place,they have a right to breed if they want to.But I also have a right not to buy them too.That's the way I look it.The last thing a dogman should want is some inspector sticking his nose where it doesn't belong.There are already to many regulation smothering the people of this country.Like seat belts in cars,may be safe and a good idea but it kind of falls into the catagory of my business.The government is robbing us,taking what's left of our freedoms,telling us what we can and can't do in our own homes and they are destroying this country,I want them as much out of my daily life as possible.

16. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

I completely agree that the responsible owners who are doing things right are always the ones punished in these situations. And the crap breeders will continue breeding.

17. mastiffsj

mastiffsj Big Dog

This is an interesting writing on the subject-

Posted by: "AvalonKennels@ aol.com"
    Date: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:39 pm ((PDT))

I normally never post on this list but since i have actual experience, I am going to in this case. Colorado was the first and only state to pass mandatory licensing for breeders. This came about when we were informed about a bill that was going to the legislature the following day. No advance notice, but in those days we weren't as alert as we are now. We all gathered at the state capitol, dog breeders, cat breeders, small
    animal breeders, 4-H Leaders and their troops, any person who had an animal and was interested in protecting their rights to own that animal. The bill requiring mandatory 10 year moratorium on ALL breeding was defeated.

A meeting was held and we decided, to our everlasting regret, that we needed to write a bill we could live with. We spent a year writing the Pet Animal Care and Facility Act. A task force representing 13 different animal groups was formed. Dog breeders, both large scale and small, cat breeders, small animal breeders, bird breeders, animal welfare officers, veterinarians, Retail stores, wholesale suppliers, general public, etc. We met for an entire year, and presented a bill into legislature calling for licensing and inspections of all these groups. It passed into law easily as the entire industry was supporting it.

A Pet Animal Advisory Committee was then formed, with the same representative groups, charged with writing the rules and regulations to go with the law. I represented the dog breeders of the state of Colorado for 4 years. Originally, the licensing fee for dog breeders was $175, now it is $350. The original number required to be licensed was 25, then 15, and now it is suppose to go to 12. This is any dog over the age of 4 months. I have been told the age may also go down to 3 months. No legislative voting, no nothing was required to change portions of the requirements.

Originally, if you worked a normal 9-5 job, you could put on the application that the inspector could come by appointment. This year, if you refuse to take off work, to allow them access at any time, you are in violation, will have hefty fines and could even have your license revoked.

The inspector recently demanded in person and later in writing from a SHOW breeder, all her AKC records. When she refused, they have threatened to take her license away. This is still being argued, so will see how it plays out.

The law only says you have to make all records available to the inspector to see. Now, they are demanding to take your records with them. Also, at any inspection, they will not give you the inspection report unless you demand it.

It is mailed to you later with any petty violations they find. You have no recourse or ability to argue the unfairness of any violation. The last inspection I had the inspector said everything was great. But, I got a report in the mail later that I was in violation because I had an opened sack of dog food on the property. And because I had an orphan litter of puppies.

When I complained loud and clear, I was told the litter should have been taken to the vet's, as they had the knowledge and experience necessary to deal with the puppies OR I SHOULD HAVE EUTHANIZED THE PUPPIES. I filed a formal complaint with the Dept. of Agriculture and had a hearing. The open sack of dog food was dismissed but the other was not. My vet wrote a letter and came to the hearing and testified as to my ability to raise an orphan litter, no avail. The inspectors still ruled the vet was better able to care for them.

The inspectors have the right to enter ANY part of your house, garage, kennel, yard, etc. where you might maintain, raise, etc. any dog. This means your bedroom or bathroom if that is where you have any dogs.

Question: How many of you have a dog sleeping by your bed???? How many have puppies born in the bedroom?

All of the bills being introduced in various states are patterned after the Colorado bill. During the bill writing process we had great guys in the Dept.of Agriculture. Now, one has died, one retired, and the other got promoted out of the dog program. The state vet, the head of PACFA, the inspectors promote and encourage the Animal Rights propaganda.

One inspector has even gone so far as to say she would like to see all breeders stopped. The hen house is being protected by the fox. Do you want your state to be in the same position??

Get involved now, don't give in to any of their suggestions. DON'T ever think you can bargain with them. That is like bargaining with the Devil. We don't know if it is too late for Colorado, breeders have rallied and are fighting for their lives and their rights to own, breed, and show dogs.

Jean Nelson
    Avalon Kennels est 1964
    Breeder/owner of over 216 champions