1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Letter: Dog law eyed by Mashpee would ban therapy visits

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by ReleaseTheHounds, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Dog law eyed by Mashpee would ban therapy visits

August 26, 2009

I find it necessary to write in defense of the breed of dogs that will be affected by new bylaws being considered in Mashpee.

My dog is a muscular brindle mixed bull terrier, which is one of the breeds mentioned in your Aug. 18 article. My daughter rescued her from a shelter, and I have had her for six years.

We found that, with kindness, Roxy was a very friendly and outgoing dog. Roxy and I entered a training program for therapy dogs, and she passed with flying colors. Not all dogs have the temperament to be therapy dogs, because the most important requirement is to be outgoing, calm, friendly and to interact with the residents of nursing homes, assisted-living facilities and hospices without my immediate supervision.

She has brought these groups great joy and happiness and has received awards for the number of visits to these facilities. Nurses, doctors and therapists can attest to her ability to bring smiles to people's faces that medicine could not do.

If the proposed standards for this breed are allowed, another dog like mine may not be able to bring joy to others. Roxy treats everyone equally while visiting. Let's not discriminate
    against Roxy.

Phil DeNegri
    Brewster