1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

leash training and seperation anxiety and ifew other questions

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by flagrl, Jun 24, 2012.

1. flagrl

flagrl Pup

ok so i just got my dog, he is still a puppy, probably around 9 months at the most, what is the best way to teach him to heel? right now i am doing where when the leash gets tight i stop till he comes back a few steps and the leash isnt tight any more than we can walk again, is this a good way? also he has seperation anxiety how can i control that from happening? how do you teach a dog to calm down, i know he is a puppy but sometimes i would like him to calm down some. any training advice would be much apperciated, he is very skiddsh and shy, also sometimes on a leash, he has gotten better in the last 2 days, he just shuts down, he will just sit there and not move not so much when i get him outside, its going thru doors for some reason, even if he is not on a leash he gets a little weary of it and most of the time takes a lot of reassurance before he slowly walks thru the door

2. sega

sega Big Dog

what kinda dog is it?

3. flagrl

flagrl Pup

im guessing apbt, here are some pics
    06222012_007.JPG 06222012_003.JPG 06222012_006.JPG
    my friend had found him a month ago abandoned, and nursed him back to health untill she couldnt keep him any longer then i got him

4. sega

sega Big Dog

i dont teach my dog to heel so i cant tell you how but i can tell you when u want a dog to do something the best way that i have found is by using rewards "treats" it sounds like yr on the right track, diffrent people do diffrent things just find what works for you. seperation anxiety is hell cause the dog will holler yelp bark whine and everthing and even destroy the house. i broke my dog from sep anx by leaving him alone on a chain outside and eventually he stoped crying once he learned i wasnt comin to his every cry. this will prolly piss the neighbors off for just a lil while if u live in the city and check into teathering laws cause in some places its illegal. i still do it tho cause its the best way to contain a dog i find. if your gonna kennel train him get a nice sold steel kennel cause dont think he cant bust out, mine ripped the entire bottom door up in a steel kennel n escaped into the house then mutilated the blinds, sofa, pillows, shoes, broom, just abt everything. calming a wild dog down is like askin how to calm a wild bull down lol, hes prolly gonna buck like hell but you can start by calming down yrself and dont raise yr voice playfully cause hell just bounce and wiggle harder, i usually just let my dog go nuts when i 1st get home for abt 5 mins n he calms down, if its really urgent like drinks on the table and his tails flyin arnd ill yell at him NO!!!!!!! and hell will back down like he did something wrong but its rare that i do that to him. shy n skittesh could be from being owned by a overly disciplning owner, sometimes if u whoop a dog to much or for no reason they will turn cowardly n nervous of getting whooped, some will even bite u you so u better what him with that shit. again the door thing, whatever happen to the dog it happen arnd a door way, have no clue what but the dogs obviously scared of doorways for some reason, i cant right of the bat think of anything cruel someone would do with a doorway, maby hanging him n whooping him? idk but just time will get him over that. theres no telling what kinda enviorment the dogs came from so just take your time with him n get to know em, eventually he will trust you and be normal again. my dog when i first found him we were in the back yard and lite a bon fire and the dog jumped up n hauled ass into the fire biting at it, i swear it was the craziest shit ive ever seen in my life. hes over all his fears tho that he used to have when i found him @ 1st n hes a good dog now. hes very smart for hunting small animals and works very well with people. if you really wanna learn how to handle dogs you just gotta understand it takes patience but when yr dog and you get on the same page, theres not much stronger bond then that in my eyes. hope this helps you some. i only talk abt what i know and what ive done

5. sega

sega Big Dog

id goto stillwaterkennel supply and get him a thicker collar, prolly a 5 ply 2" the guy who runs is straight up. if you ever wanna get him on a chain n axle set up in the yard just P M and i can tell you what youll need. i belive its the best way to contain a dog when your not home and hell have more space then in a dog run, just kinda duck him off a lil cause unfortunitly there are fuckin thiefs running arnd