1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Leash law for Salem deemed unnecessary

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by Marty, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

Salem, OR -- October 25, 2005 Salem has buried the idea of a citywide leash law.

Members of the Salem City Council agreed Monday night that there was no need for a leash law because state statutes already require dog owners to have immediate control of their pets whether the leash is on or off.

Salem police will continue to respond to dog bites or reports of vicious dogs, but all reports of stray dogs will be forwarded to Marion and Polk county dog-control officers, interim Police Chief Jerry Moore said.

"State statutes, to some effect, do the same thing a leash law would do," Moore said.

"Police officers don't have the time to deal with dogs running at large. ... We don't get a significant amount of complaints about it."

Phyllis Morris, the supervisor of Marion County Dog Control, said she had no problem with the decision.

"We have the equipment police don't have, like muzzles, dog stretchers and vehicles made to transport animals -- not just people," Morris said. So it makes sense for county dog control to continue to handle stray-dog cases, she said.

In May, Council President Jim Randall asked city staff members to research the feasibility of creating a leash law for downtown Salem after the CAN-DO Neighborhood Association reported an incident in which a pit bull intimidated a postal worker outside a downtown business.

Salem ordinances currently require dog leashes only in city parks. The maximum fine for a violation is $250.

Sally Berg, 68, a retired state employee, said she would support a leash law, but if state law already covers what a leash law would do, she doesn't see a point in creating one.

"My dog weighs five pounds or less. If you come up to me and it's a German shepherd, my dog is history," said Berg, who owns two papillons, a toy poodle and a Maltese.

Jim Susee, 63, an attorney, owns a Lhasa apso named Suzy, who he takes to work with him every day and lets sleep under his desk.

Susee said he would support a leash law in downtown Salem, but not in slower-paced neighborhoods such as his.

"I think that might be going a little bit too far to say the dog can't go out in the front yard and run over and see the neighbor," Susee said. "It's never been a problem in our neighborhood."

cbolner@Statesman Journal.com or (503) 589-6967

http://159.54.226.83/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051025/NEWS/510250323/1001

2. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

this is an accident looking for a place to happen. leash laws in proper for are good for both people and animals. i believe if your animal is on your enclosed property than they can run around all they please. if it is in public places it should be on a leash. your fenced yard no problem. walking down the street put a leash on it.i dont care if its five pounds or 150. i hate walking my dogs and having someones jackleg puff ball come running up barking and growling at me and my dogs. when it bites my leg and i punt it like a soccer ball dont get pissed at me or even worse if my dog takes it as a threat and bites it dont get mad at me my animals were restrained your the fool who let it roam around. Dont tell me its never been a problem before. that makes you the kind of person who doesnt use a seatbelt because youve never been in a car accident.As long as i have owned animals if we go out in public they are on a leash it gives me less to worry about. if my dog bites you and it was on a leash you shouldnt have been so close to it. if it gets hit by a car i should have had it undercontrol. A leash is the best tool in responsible animal ownership. as usual this is my opinion feel free to hate me for it or disagree but do it intelligently or dont do it at all.