1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Lcd Tv ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by deepsouth, Nov 23, 2007.

1. deepsouth

deepsouth Big Dog

Anyone here purchase that 42" Vizio LCD TV over at Sam's Club (heard it's available at Costco too). It's $897 and from what I've been told, that's supposed to be a great deal for a LCD that size. Also heard it doesn't make much difference anymore as far as name brands are concerned (ie. Sony, Panasonic, etc), that you can still get the same picture quality (or pretty darn close) with a lesser known brand. Don't know anything about Vizio. Thanks.

2. jman11

jman11 King of the Valley

i own 3 and have recomended over 4 to my family. I love the Vizios, all sizes, plus costco has good warantees. 10/10

3. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

Just a heads up, I have been in sales for years ( drive truck now ) but I can tell you never ever buy a TV from a sams club, BJ's or the likes. Anything that did not work from my retail outfit got sent back to the manufacturer and repaired , repacked and then shipped to the Cosco's, Bj's and Sams of the world. Reasons why the cost is so much cheaper at those wholesale clubs.

4. deepsouth

deepsouth Big Dog

Not trying to be rude ColbyDogs, but don't major corporations have a policy about labeling returned merchandised as "open box" (or some other designation) to let the consumer know it's been returned. And if it is true, isn't it against store policy? I've heard this rumour before about another "high profile" chain, don't know if it's true or not (selling used merchandise as new). Sometimes I think it's just people saying this stuff cause they hate these places (for whatever reasons). As far as the low cost, it's a "wholesale" store....that's what they do....sell their products at a reduced cost. Like I said, no disrespect intended.

5. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

None taken, I am not sure what the polices are but let me ask you this, what do you think the manufacturer does with product when it is returned to them when they do not have an outlet store ? Someone is getting those returns and I have been told this by a Sony sales rep that they do repack and sell them off to the wholesale clubs.

Buyer beware is my reccomendation.

6. rosco91382

rosco91382 Big Dog

They are called refurbished(sp). Sometimes refurbished are better than new item due to the fact that all the material will be repaired to like new items. I have bought new tv's the didnt work at first so I wouldnt worry about buying a refurbished item. But I have noticed that sometimes the picture on name brand items looks a lil better ie...(brighter, crispier, etc....) then the off brand items. But i would say 9/10 people would not be able to tell the difference unless your a HDTV, video game, movie fanatic.
    Just my .02 cents
    Drew

7. JuckingFerk

JuckingFerk Big Dog

8. deepsouth

deepsouth Big Dog

Wow!! That article really did open up my eyes. Thanks Ferk. Looks like it really pays to stick with a well known and reputable company.

9. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Hmm...coincidence this thread shows up the same day of my credit card statement rapes me?

I lost my mind, and bought a 57'' flat screen HDTV for my bedroom yesterday. Of course, upgrading from a 10 year old 19'' to that, you must upgrade the ps2 to a ps3. No one carries the 40gb, and you have to have it ready to play the day you buy a new tv you know, so I got suckered into the 80g for 100 more. Modern Combat previews alone, spawned this need for a tv and ps3, so I had to buy that as well. Even if I hardly ever play video games. Blu-ray, or movies in general, is pretty bitchin though ;)

Thankfully, they had no stereo systems in stock. Full intentions on going way overboard there as well. LOL

We had a deal on 42'' Hitachi plasma's, $688. I wasn't standing in line at 6 pm thanksgiving night to get one. I paid right around $800 for my 57'' Hitachi. It's a projection, can't hang it on the wall (add another $200 onto the cost of a plasma for a mount), but it's got a fantastic picture. Better than many of the name brand plasmas on display, of lesser size.

For the price, I can replace the damn thing every couple years and be happy. I'd ruin a plasma in a year, gauranteed.

Probably going to purchase another within the month for the living room at that price. Waiting to finish the wall in the pool table/bar room, to hang a 106'' projection on the wall (like the movie theatres).

Now if I could only figure out how to network my computer upstairs, to the one in my bedroom, and also the ps3 I'd be in business. Anyone wish to help? Had computers wirelessly networked 2 days ago, until trying to set-up PS online. Internet went down, and I'm only able to get it back on the host computer :( Technical guru's, help me out! Really don't want to call "The geek squad" LOL.

10. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Wow, that's freakin great. My father-in-law bought us a Polaroid HDTV for Christmas last year. It's a great TV thus far. HD makes the Xbox 360 seem so much more fun!! Guess I better pray nothing ever goes wrong with this TV until I can talk him into buying us another one...LOL! Oh well, it was free, it's got a great picture and it mounts on the wall so I have all this extra space.

11. JuckingFerk

JuckingFerk Big Dog

Im glad I could help. Selling TVs/Applinaces is what I do for a living and yes I do work on commision. If anyone has a question about products feel free to pm me and I will tell you the truth to the best of my knowledge.

Ferk out

12. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Ah i don't see what the big deal is with the tv's,i know you younger folks have to have the new current big thing out right now.but you have to ask yourself is it wise putting yourself into debt to watch the same thing as you did on your old tv? i have had my 25 inch tv for about 12 years now and it works just fine for what i use it for.infact i hardly ever watch tv. but i sure could think of better things to spend that kind of money on that a tv,lol.

13. deepsouth

deepsouth Big Dog

I agree with you 100%. I just happened to notice the LCD at Sam's for such a cheap price ($897 is considered very cheap for a 42" LCD) and started to get caught up in the hype. So I just thought I'd ask and try to find out more, since I don't know jack about electronics. We have a 20" Panasonic tube TV, I love it. Not bashing the new stuff....whatever floats your boat. Yeah, people tend to go nuts over the latest fad......I guess you can say that about the dogs too....LOL!

14. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I bought my old tv, 10 years ago from Walmart. 79 bucks, for a off-brand 19'' tv, with one inlet. Had to mess with the wires anytime I wanted to switch from tv to a movie, or a game, and back. Pain in the ass.

I'll never have as much extra spending money as I do right now, so why not? I don't need the newest, greatest tv, just better than what I had. For roughly 800 bucks, can't go too far wrong. If it craps out the day my warranty expires, I'll still be happy.

Projection for the future, is a different story. They aren't priced horribly, and thats the best way to go for a bar-room type atmosphere. I'm not hanging a plasma on the wall, with my friends and dogs in the house. Up out of the way, huge picture, reasonably priced. Plus, the walls already there :p LOL

15. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Well i can see why you would want to upgrade,but still for me 800 bucks is way to steep on a tv. i know it was your personal choice,but i have a question did they not have tv's maybe not as big or fancy but new where you could hook up your games and what not for maybe a few hundred dollars or maybe a little less? if so why not get one of those.

Like i said your choice but i just feel i had to say it,i would feel bad if i didn't,lol. my kids and grandkids hate me for it but it's like i always say money sure don't grow on trees,but it could be that i lived through the end of the depression and ww2. i was 10 or 11 when that depression ended so i remember how it was pretty clear and with my father relying on his small amount of crops and the coal mines and that you can just imiagine how tough it was for us. thats more than likely why i am so tight with money especially on certain things. but i just feel like i had to say something on it,lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2007
  16. JuckingFerk

JuckingFerk Big Dog

800.00 is not an outrageous price for a TV, but it might seem that way. People dont remember how much TVs used to cost. I remember selling 20" glass tube TVs for 400.00 back in the late 80s. Granted that was the top of the line, but most TVs cost more then people seem to remember. 27s were 500.00 and up and 25s were 300 on up. This was also when the you could buy more for your dollar, so by todays standards the TVs are cheeper then they were. I have been in this line of business since the 80s so I have seen all the pricing trends. 800.00 today is not a lot for a TV.

Ferk out

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2007