1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Kirklands dog food

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by ChDynomite, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

Just switched to Kirkland from Exceed because it went up in price , had great results for years on Exceed . The dogs have been on the Kirklands for a month now and sometimes they get runny stools . How does everyone like Kirklands dog food ? The ingredients seem great the only thing that i dont like is that its made by Diamond but i cant find any good food at a decent price.

2. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

which one are you feeding?

3. DMMK

DMMK Big Dog

At least where I live, Exceed & Kirklands are about the same price.

My dogs are on Kirklands Lamb & Rice. They are doing fine.....:cool:

4. game_test

game_test Top Dog

i use it and the stool seems ok but im switching to feeding them about half raw half kibble for health reasons. dog food all around isnt that great unless you spend ridiculous amounts of money on the 50 dollar bag and i cant do that. i found beef liver and heart really cheap, ive had a source for good raw meaty bones for a while. im mixing in a couple other things and the dogs are looking good.

5. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

where can u get kirklands?
    never seen it around here...

we have diamond. but never seen kirklands

6. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

My dogs do better on the chicken and rice Kirkland. One thing you need to watch for with Kirkland is sometimes the bags are stale. It is made in such large quantities. If the food smells strong or sharp it is probably bad. If you save your receipt along with the original bag they will replace the bag with a new one. If I don't check the food and feed it to my dogs and it was bad, they all get the runs. That is the only issue I had with the food. The other thing to note is the protein level. Kirkland is 26% and Exceed is 30%. If you dogs are already in shape they may lose weight if you do not adjust the amount you feed. I put the high energy dogs on exceed because it's cheaper since they eat less than on the Kirkland. I guess it just depends on what you are feeding and the energy level of your dogs. Hope that helps..

7. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Kirkland is sold only at Costco

8. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

Exceed just came back on the market 2weeks ago and its know 29 dollars a bag , Thats what i figured about the Kirklands , that the batches are stale or inconsistent thats why im getting the lose stole only sometimes , i go through a bag a day so the batches are different. I love the Exceed i know what your saying, when i had them on it everyone always thought my dogs were conditioned , they would have tons of muscle and stay ripped up. I used The 2 foods years ago to see which one worked better and the dogs looked better on Exceed. I didnt know if the ingredients on the Kirklands had changed or not.

9. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

You must feed allot of dogs!;) I go through a bag every 4-5 days with 18 dogs. But I buy several bags so if one is not good I just set it aside.
    I was just on my way to get some exceed and that sucks the price went up!! bummer:(

10. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

Well its been cold her and i use alot more food when its cold . Do you live in a warm climate ? Thats pretty good if a bag last 4 to 5 days for 18 dogs , i dont know how you stretch it that far , but i wish i could too . Oh i also had a few pups this year and i let them eat all day long. Oh almost forgot i just called Kirklands and complained they said they were going to have their vet call me , yes their vet , and that Diamond would be calling to discuss reimbursing me for the food.

11. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I use Nature's Recipe Lamb and Rice on three dogs with raw cause of health reasons. Had good results so far. No loose stools and firm stools. Ranks 3 on food analysis chart.

12. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

I should call and complain too. Never thought of that, I just always returned them. Each dog eats about 3 cups a day some eat 4 cups. I feed 2x a day and give about 1.5 cup each feeding. I do live in NM and it is fairly warm here. Even in the winter it's not too bad but my dogs are indoor dogs. If they were out side they would need to have more meat on there bones for the winter. I would be interested in what the vets have to say.

13. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I found with the Kirklands, I had to feed way more of it than other foods for my dogs to maintain a healthy weight so $ wise it just wasn't really worth it. I could feed a better quality food and feed less of it. I haven't tried it in years though.

14. StopBSL

StopBSL Top Dog

That's for sure. Depends on the price and what you're feeding. but we feed 2 cups a day to all our dogs except one gets 1 3/4 of Canidae lamb and rice. We pay 42 for it right now but it's buy 5 get 1 if you do the breeder program. you only have to have 3 or more dogs and compete in conformation or some type of sport to qualify. It ends up I am paying about 35 for a bag that lasts 7 dogs 2 weeks right now.

Tried kirklands once and the bag emptied too fast not to mention the dogs didn't like the taste. . .but I pry have picky dogs. lol.