1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Kentucky Derby 2017

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by F.D., May 6, 2017.

1. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

Anybody watching today? It's an all-day broadcast, and not to late to turn it on. They were showing previous winner American Pharoah, and saying that he gets $200,000.00 stud fee, and sometimes breeds twice a day.

niko likes this.
  2. oakgrove

oakgrove Pup

I wonder what kind of insurance plan they have on him..

F.D. and niko like this.
  3. niko

niko CH Dog

Those horses are beautiful..the sport of kings FD

oakgrove and F.D. like this.
  4. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

5. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I thought I read racing required natural breedings, nothing artificial? Is that true?

I'm not a horse racing fan except those three Saturdays in May and June. Then it is not all that exciting for me.

S

oakgrove likes this.
  6. oakgrove

oakgrove Pup

I agree. Hard for me to get into.. besides the biggest events. Always interesting getting a peak into that world anyways.

7. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

In the piece they did about American Pharoah, they showed him walking into the breeding barn, so I assume his breeding are natural. Twice in a day would seem to push what is possible as far as getting enough semen.

8. STDK

STDK Pup

Yes, only natural bred animals can be registered as thoroughbreds.

oakgrove and F.D. like this.
  9. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

American Pharoah has seen more ass than a toilet seat.

niko and slim12 like this.
  10. slim12

Expensive ass at that.

I've been places where $10 gets you the same thing.....and get change back.

I watched a documentary last night about the trending in horse breeding over the years. For years and years the winning horses were bred with huge stud fees. Most of that money was spent by people getting into the horses or people with no idea backing people and went the popular route.

Years ago it was more popular to breed to the horse that made the horse that won the race. A lot like dogs.

American Pharoah may or may not produce. If I am in that game I think I would breed to his sire until three four years from now when American Pharoahs off spring are of age.

The flip side is maybe it is a good idea to get in when it is cheap. If a Triple Crown winner in turn produces a Triple Crown threat I would imagine $200K would be $400K by the time they laid the roses across that Derby winner's back. And so on and so on.

S

niko likes this.
  11. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

Yea American Pharoah's offspring might or might not be as good as he is. I would guess that some people would choose to breed to Pioneer of the Nile over AP at this point. His prepotence will be interesting to judge in coming years. Here is an interesting article about him, and also about some of the expensive disappointments that other winners have turned out to be. Like studs that were sterile, or studs that had no interest in breeding. And they even breed him three times a day occasionally. $200K can buy a decent house or a couple of very nice vehicles. It must be nice to have that much to pay for a stud fee. https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/...-already-a-champion-at-the-stud-life-too.html

80BOWTIE, niko and oakgrove like this.
  12. slim12

True.

My buddy paid a $1000 or so to breed to GRCH Virgil. The bitch raised three. At least with dogs odds are you get multiple chances. Basically less than $350 a puppy which is way cheap.

One male made it to the show, one female was cold as ice and the second male ran into a monster along the way.

So $350 for 1 show dog is awesome.

In horse racing I wonder where the break even point is for $200K?

S

F.D. likes this.
  13. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

The Preakness Stakes is today. It's the second leg of the triple crown. Always Dreaming is favored to win (he won the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago).

I saw a program recently that talked about California Chrome. He won the Kentucky Derby and I think the Preakness in 2014. Those are races for 3 year olds. But unlike a lot of other top horses, they kept racing him, and he continued to win. He'll probably be another $200,000.00 stud fee horse.

14. oakgrove

oakgrove Pup

Great race.

F.D. likes this.
  15. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

Trainer Todd Pletcher accomplished a rare win with Tapwrit today in the Belmont Stakes. Pletcher's Always Dreaming won the Kentucky Derby, and Tapwrit won the Belmont. So he trained two Triple Crown winners in a single season.