1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Kennel with heavy chewers

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by daisymason, Jul 4, 2023.

1. My dog is indoors most of the time but an outdoor kennel for here and there use would be nice.
    I found one at a local yard sale. It’s one of those that looks like a shed with a chain length section in the front.
    I would definitely upgrade the chain link but I’m wondering how the wood part would do for a heavy chewer?
    I’ve never had a kennel but may be getting another dog soon.
    I may be better off with crates when needed but was curious when I saw the outdoor kennel for cheap

2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Chewers will destroy the wood whether it be their houses or parts of the kennel. Welded wire and no exposed wood for the chewers. Otherwise you'll be replacing it regularly. I don't know about your dog but mine destroy wood things rather quickly.

Photo of one of my bitches inside of her house. She ate out the inside wall and pulled all the insulation out. That's a rebuild this year. Also chews the doorways.

Screenshot_20230704_184109_Gallery.jpg

Her brother likes to eat a wood wall I put up on the open side of my privacy fence that seperates my yard from my neighbors. Thankfully they don't have a dog or it would be a lot worse. This is a harder fix since it's the back wall to all 5 of my runs. Plan on separating all the kennels before winter. All it takes is a bunch of money and a bunch of time neither of which I got a lot of lol.

Screenshot_20230704_184113_Gallery.jpg

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Even my inside asshole will chew if he thinks he can escape or another dog is in this house somewhere. My bedroom door and frame are my next project around here. Dug up the rug too and scratched up the flooring as well this prick. There are days I'd like to take them all out to the woods with the ought 6.

Screenshot_20230704_185314_Gallery.jpg

4. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

AGK is spot on.

There are very few dogs that like a square or rectangular doorway. They all like to create their own arch way.

I have had one or two that could demolish a wood house in pretty much no time.

S

AGK likes this.
  5. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Aluminum sheet piles, the same type as along highways, are used as partitions and roof. Checkered steel kennel panels and a doghouse are finished with steel U beams on the sides, etc. The kennel is easy to assemble with, among other things, pop rivets for the sheet piles.Maxium security all the way.

AGK likes this.
  6. tomjones2

tomjones2 Big Dog

I think we can all relate to the fleeting and rare feeling of wanting to take them out to the woods with a full mag of your preferred caliber… definitely a sacrifice and lifestyle these dogs

AGK likes this.
  7. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I am not so sure about fleeting and rare.

The feeling sticks and then lasts. LOL

Afterwards I always change my mind.

S

8. tomjones2

tomjones2 Big Dog

Lolol- true!

9. Yeah I’ll be passing on the wood. Pretty sure mine would tear it up.

10. Pullingcovers

Pullingcovers Top Dog

Can you post a pic?

11. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

See your inbox @Pullingcovers

Pullingcovers likes this.