1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping A Pup Warm Outdoors?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Titch_Pitbull, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

Long story shot. Got a friend that has had to move to due personal issues. area he is moving to has outlawed pits. He just had a litter. He needs to get rid of all the Pups at 8wk. Becuase he is leaving 2 days after they turn 8weeks.

Hes offered me a pup for free. Now these are quality bred animals and not some BS BYB Breeding.

The blood would really blend in what Ive got so far and as my yard is fairly young (oldest dog 12month). I wouldnt mind taking another Pup.

But on a personal level I do not like animals indoors. Thats Just me. Yes I love em. But I just dont like them indoors.

Now How do you suggest I keep a 8wk old pup warm outside? at night it can get fairly cold. (32Fahrenheit - 40Fahrenheit)

Or Should I just tell him I cant take one due to the possible risk of it freezing?

2. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

Put him in a kennel with other pups(so they can huddle together when sleeping)..As long as their house is draft free with the proper bedding you shouldnt have a problem..

3. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

4. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

Keep dog indoor till he's enough old to be safe outside.

5. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

I cant. Just a Personal Thing.

6. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

No. That is a house not a kennel. A junk house at that. Keep the dog indoors untill he is at least 5 months. A this age the puppy needs human interaction.Needs the warmth of a house. If you cant do this,I would not sugest you get the pup.

7. koening

koening Top Dog

You can keep him outdoors , in a good kennel and warm bedding . you can keep him with the 4 month old pup just to keep warm , bet you he will not get outside of the kennel if it's cold outside. I just had 4 pups outside , at -10 degrees Celsius and they are all fine , in fact , as soon as it got a little bit warmer , +1 to 5 degrees they slept outside , in a big huddle . So , I quess you could keep him outside in a nice and warm kennels. If you want to keep him alone , and not with the 4 month old dog , you cand put 2 or 3 botels of very warm water in his kennel , so he can huddle uop against them , and change them at a regular time so they don't get cold ...

just my 2 cents .

8. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

It's not that you can't. It's that you won't. Big difference!

And if you are so cold-hearted you'd put a wee baby puppy out in the freezing cold weather b/c you "don't like a dog in the house" IMO you don't need (or deserve!) the dang dog.

Sorry if I came across harsh. It's just a personal thing. :rolleyes:

9. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

I agree with this. Sometimes you have to do things you dont like. Like when you gotta lunch with your parents girlfriend. You sure dont want but you have to do it but you have to.

10. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

Keeping 8 week old pups outside in -10 degrees wether? Are you serious? Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this??? To each there own,but not me. I could see if it were a Mother and her litter in a heated welping pen, but just throwing a 8 week old pup outside in a dog house in cold wether. No way not me. I am a firm beliver that any pup you bring in deserves to be interacting with its human famaly. Learning right from wrong,and its place in the pack. This is a crutial time in a dogs mental development. The dog needs to be exposed to children strangers etc. Can you say CHAIN BRAIN. I understand you dont like having a dog in the house. That is just fine. Only acuire yearlings and up. Id stay away from pups. This is just my opinion. Big Game

11. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

I agree. If you dont like dogs enuf to keep one in the house until it is old enuf to go out on a chain, Makes me wonder what you are in the dogs for. Like I said I can understand not wanting to keep dogs in the house. Fine. I know many who dont keep house dogs, but these people also have no problem keeping a pup in the house untill it is the proper time for him to go on a chain.

12. kinggatorpits

kinggatorpits Big Dog

My old neighbor had a litter of 12 Boxer pups in the middle of winter here can get down to the low teens temp wise. They were born outside and lived outside he came over one evenin after I got in from work and said that 8 of the pups had died and ask me what I thought it was..I told him the cold weather, I thought was 17 the previous night and he told me I was crazy as hell. I personally wouldn't own a pup that had been in a kennel with little or no human interaction just as Big Game stated they get chain brain JMO.

13. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

You can build a house out of 3/4" plywood, with a wind block. Put nice straw in the house , and put a light inside at the top of the house. It will put out heat and warm the house. If it is real cold, they do make heat bulbs. Also, do not make the house too large. Usually I will take an average pallet and cut it in half, and use this for the base of the dog house, which makes it about 3' X 2'. Smaller space, leaves less room that has to be heated. Make the roof to be either on a hinge to open completely, or removable, and the wind break removable(can slide in and out) so in warmer times, and when the dog gets older, you can still use the house. Cut the door opening with about a 6" lip on the bottom to keep the bedding in, and have the opening on one end of the house. If the door is in the middle, will not keep wind off the dog.

Titch_Pitbull likes this.
  14. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

Im not going to bring my religion into this because I will get bashed even futher.

All I ask for his help. I dont ask for peoples opinions if I should be in dogs or not.

All my dogs are well cared for. Fed correctly. Worked well and are happy. Clean Yard that gets troughly treated for pests/bugs ect.

Thanks for some of your help. Im contemplating on having a friend have the pup with him until its around 4-5mths old. (With daily interaction with me).

15. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

If your asking if that doghouse is sufficient,then you have alot of learning to do..What kind of shelter do you use for the rest of your yard?.

16. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

My thoughts exactly, Im not bashing you. If you cant keep a dog in the house because it is aginst youre religon, than send the dog to a friend. Do what you gotta do, But to put an 8 week old puppy out in the cold in that thing (or anything like it) is wrong. I personaly would not ever bash someone for there choise of religon, or lack thare off. If you dont clearly state youre reasons for not keeping the pup in the house ,well...One can only guess.

17. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

what about a shed with a space heater and the pup in a crate, thats what im doing right now with my 9 week old pup, like u i don't like dogs inside atleast not sleeping inside, this works good, now if u don't have a shed u can use i would say build a doghouse with a door that can be closed and run a heat lamp into it

18. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Top Dog

a nice wooden house with a heat lamp and adequate bedding
    and guess what if you go out and play with thew dog daily it will still get human interaction

19. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

All my dogs have been outdoor since the age of 8-9 weeks and have survived 4 blizzards in PA (ice storm as well). As long as you keep them fat and hydrated during winter they will be fine. Build a good dog house with straws during winter for bedding and no draft!

20. Osea

Osea Banned

This thread has got to be a joke.