1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

KC Staffie

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by R-M-C, May 19, 2012.

1. R-M-C

R-M-C Pup

Has the KC destroyed this once noble breed, or is it the fanciers that breed continuously to a caricature cartoon physique.

2. jacko

jacko CH Dog

well the KC don"t just dream up breed standards.
    it is partially the show judges who favour a certain type of dog and then the ribbon chasers blindly follow suit like lambs to the slaughter, lmao.
    also you could blame the lack of interest in actually working the dogs for many years.
    it is not a lost cause though. thank fcuk.

3. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

go to any show for KC Staffords have a look at them and ask your self if they would last any more than 10 minutes with any decent APBT of the same weight...the answer if your honest is...NO

4. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Why is it when ever anyone starts a topic about kc staffs some one has to always try to compare them with the apbt, we all know that they can't compete with the fastlane pits as they are show staffs and great in their own right and for what they are breed for. (SHOWS)....give it a rest....

5. Is this site called " show dog " or " pet dog "no its gamedog !

6. Irish Pitbull

Irish Pitbull Top Dog

But the point is, they once were the game dogs over this side of the Atlantic. So there is no reason why they have gone so far from the dogs just 30 years ago apart from being bred for the KC shows and not for their original work.

There's some dogs who look like they could be the dogs of old, but I would think there's very, very few that could hang with them anymore :(

7. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

Read the first post....the reason they keep getting compared to APBTs is because ,because before the KC and show people got their hands on the breed they the same breed as the APBT...so thats why I compare the two breeds and why I say that show people and the KC changed them from pit bulls to toy dogs...

8. bulldogkennel

bulldogkennel Banned

Hello everyone, the reasons which led, the show SBT, to change drastically the shape and character are many and complex. I believe that these reasons can be divided into two main points:

A) For reasons of "economic policy", because a less dominant dog is more marketable as a pet dog.

B) The historical and genetic knowledges have been lost with the passage of time and, the new breeder, are missing entirely these important knowledge.

The most ridiculous thing is that really, the show breeders, are convinced that a huge head, a short muzzle a wide chest, etc, are the "strengths" of a fighting dog!

The most ridiculous thing is that really, the show breeders, are convinced that a dog that growls tied to his leash, is "strong" and "game".

I do not want to compare the show Staffordshire with other sporting breeds, but I would like at least that, the show breeders, would stop spreading incorrect information about the history and morphology of our Bulldog.

I am convinced that having created the "myths" in order to justify the dogs that these people have at home, has led people to believe "champions" many dogs who instead were culls.

Best Regards

9. jonnim

jonnim Big Dog

LOL there's more show dogs and pets on this entire board,all sections then so called gamedogs !!!! most gamedogs on this board are fantasy dogs or long gone and full of history...get real

10. jt ellison

jt ellison Big Dog

The modern stafford is in the state its in because those who breed them have no understanding of breeding or gameness , the only way to understand gameness is to own game dogs breed from game dogs and Compete with them , you can read as many books as you want watch as many videos as you like but just one match will give you more understanding . I hear it all the time how the KC ruined the Stafford and this might be so , howevor the KC did not ruin the working lines that were originally bred from game tested stock . This was done by indiscriminate breeding by dealers who added Bull Terrier and other outside blood , the KC did not breed to the dogs that quit and then create a false history for todays newcomers this was done by so called dogmen who applied there foolish understanding to the dogs for the few years they were involved . Over the last thirty years ive seen so many newcomers get into dogs within months they surpass Mayfield and Tudor with there knowledge of the game , usually without ever matching or working a dog , then dogs that quit become great dogs and then they become master breeders , usually within a few years they disapear into oblivion and become experts in gamefowl or pigeons or whatever . I used to be amazed by the adverts in the Pitbull News were dealers would advertise puppies or dogs at stud with lavish adverts telling us about there dogs , then in the next issue they would have completely different dogs . Check out these adverts and tell me were all these great breeders are today ? what happened to these wonderdogs they extolled the virtues of back then ? YES the KC ruined the show stafford but who do we hold responsible for the demise of the working strains , certainly not the KC , and how do dogs that have outside blood from other breeds that were never KC registared suddenly have KC recognition ? Its easy to call KC breeders and there stock but when your asking £500 or more for a dog with false papers that has even a tiny amount of outside blood just because its a certain colour then thats just as bad as anything the KC people are doing . Look at how many litters are for sale today from both the Blue and Red strains of so called staffords , being sold with KC pedigrees when in fact they are in the main not purebred and were never KC registared are the KC responsible for this ? The KC have destroyed the Stafford as a working dog with there foolish understanding of whats required in a game working dog , howevor they have not contributed to the demise of the working strains this was and is done by so called dogmen who apply there foolish understanding of breeding and gameness based on a false history they see fit to repeat in order to charge ridiculous prices for puppies

11. R-M-C

R-M-C Pup

Gameness and combat aside, why do you (generalizing) think the kc staff has gone the way it has in shape and size, short, squat and pug like faced.

12. R-M-C

R-M-C Pup

They accept the breed standards from the breed councils i am guessing, without scrutiny which has left the freak shows like crufts the way it is today. The kc still have allot to answer for with the shape and condition dog breeds have gone, which is totally out of control. Money Money Money Money Money.

13. jacko

jacko CH Dog

yeah the KC is first and foremost a registry and that"s all.
    you could blame fashion amongst other things. but now days more people are clued up on what staffords should be and keep well clear of breed standard shows.

14. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

The reason why they are far from the dogs they once were is that dog fighting is illegal so there is no call for the dogs to be the same.

15. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Amen....well put

16. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

If thats your way of thinking why are you on here ? there are plenty of KC type forums to discuss show dogs... I was told that the standard was designed on what they believed a fighting dog should look like, its a pity when the standard was being written they did'nt ask some one who had fought dogs what they think a fighting dog should look like, instead of show people who had not got a clue

17. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Always like what you write....

18. jacko

jacko CH Dog

" its a pity when the standard was being written they did'nt ask some one who had fought dogs what they think a fighting dog should look like, instead of show people who had not got a clue"
    couldn"t agree more !!!

19. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Hey Ricky B, I'm on here because I like these breeds, I own a kc staff but am also interested in what the apbt is about and I like to debate all things about these dogs. If there were only people on here that owned game dogs then there wouldn't be much debate. Although I couldn't fight dogs I try to understand why people do. As for the kc forums they only want to talk show's. And your right they should have gotten the real dogmen to set the standard even if they were only going to show their dogs, they should still look like they could do the job.

20. Jdll13

Jdll13 Big Dog

They should look like they could do the job you say, but also talk about how there is no need for dogs to be able to do the job. Make up your mind.