1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Just rescued a pup....

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by houstunna1986, Mar 25, 2012.

1. I rescued a blue " Am Staff" at best estimates hes just a year old. He has no training, he is very very thin and his ears were cropped. Ive never had a dog in this condition. That was about 4 wks ago hes put on considerable mass and is learing "come" nicely. I want to train him to pull and I want to bulk him up a bit but when I have him hooked to a leash or harness he will not pull. What do I do?

2. Icepick

Icepick Banned

First off, good job with rescuing the dog. Second, you are experiencing the complete opposite of what most owners experience, with your dog not pulling, when leashed lol. My guess, he isnt used to the leash, sine you stated he has had no training, and he is a bit "freaked out" by it right now. Give him a few more weeks, and I bet he starts pulling.

3. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yeah I am guessing he's freaked out by the leash as well. When you leash him does he walk at all? Do you have to pull him to get him to move or does he resist at all by pulling back? Most pups when being introduced to the leash for the first time do this so I am just trying to get more detail of what the dog does when he is on the leash and if he will even walk on the leash for you? Also what are you feeding him? Genetics are going to play a big role in how the dog will look once you get some weight back on him. You can certainly feed him a high quality dog feed like Evo or Orijen which has a good amount of protein in it that will help getting some lean muscle mass back on him along with daily exercising like hand walking to help tone him up.... Just take you're time with him be patient sounds like he didn't come from a great home so you are going to have to raise him like he was a pup all over again lol but these dogs are smart a little patience and encouragement mixed with love goes along way.

4. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

you may have made a wonderful bond and the dog feels confident in trusting your lead. I had one that I started walking around the neighborhood as a young pup, without a leash, and he would stand for leash and collar and let you put it on freely. Wish they were all like him when putting one on, but they have minds of their own.
    Be careful what you feed him, for he has a good chance on having some health issues. Stay away from corn period.

5. lil mayhem

lil mayhem Top Dog

What everyone else said good job on rescueing the dog. Give him couple months to get used to being loved and not abused and he'll probably run through a brick wall for you. Remember he's been abused and neglected for his entire life so give him time

6. rroscoe

rroscoe Lightner Hemphill / Colby

Thanks for saving the dog ,first you should get him built up make sure he is up to weight and has built a trust so he is strong body and mind ...Then i do a never fail 'steak' ...Cut steak into cubes and make sure fresh cooked so kickin out the smell and put them just out of his reach he will pull to get it ...Thanks again for saving him ..

7. bulldogg

bulldogg Pup

Thing is if you train with food you may find yourself only getting results from a "food motivated" hound.....my opinion just keep training him with lots of patience and praise.

8. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yeah don't bait the dog let the dog work for you because he wants to I rarely use treats and have always had good results praise and positive reinforcement goes along way. You can always reward the dog with doing something he likes do to after he has done a job well done.

9. Damion

Damion Pup

maybe get another dog to walk ahead of him it ll give him more confidence ,it worked great for my new pup he would lie down and shut down ,brought out the girl and we had a great first walk .and now he pulls just as hard as her ,i think its great u got a rescue bigs props man