1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Just got screwed, Cant chain the dog anymore

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by GAowner, Jul 3, 2007.

1. GAowner

GAowner Pup

I cant let him out w/o a leash, cable etc since hes been declared vicious. So we put up a cable run for supervised exercise and a chain for when we want him out and us in.

Now the county just passed an ordinance that animals can not be tethered, chained, cabled or tied up in any way unless the property is fenced in. They dont want an animal or human coming onto MY property. AND if the property is fenced in, the dog can be chained for a maximum of 12 hours out of 24.

I feel like burning down AC

Anyway to fight this? How much would it cost? This is already passed, not a possibility

2. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

alot of the times the city council and county gov,,, will vote on things like this without any notice,,,things like this is directed more at ppl with alot of chained dogs,,, although they don't understand they are resisking alot of liabilities with loose animals,,, next best thing is electric fencing like you buy at tractor supply for cattle ,,, its like 50 dollars for the fencer and wire and connectors to go with it

3. GAowner

GAowner Pup

Yeah but now I have to build a fenced area. I am on 3 acres and fencing is not allowed in the sub-division. I have been approved for a 30x15 6 foot high fenced enclosure though.

I just read a little more

"Any owner of a vicious animal shall confine it within a building or secured enclosure (sufficient to prevent the animal from escaping and to prevent a person or another animal from entering the enclosure) and will not remove it from such building or fenced enclosure unless it is securely muzzled and under restraint by a person who is at least eighteen years of age or older. Any vicious animal not secured as provided in this chapter is hereby declared a nuisance and may be impounded pursuant to the provisions of this chapter and/or confined by the animal control department for a period of 30 days, provided that, if an action is brought in any court of competent jurisdiction concerning the attack or attempt to attack by such animal, the period of confinement may be extended within the discretion of the animal control department, until the entry of a final order of disposition in such action. Further, in any prosecution of an owner or a responsible person of any vicious animal for any violation of this chapter, the court may, upon conviction entered against the owner or responsible person, order that the animal be humanely destroyed."

And now he cant be outside w/o a muzzle since he was declared vicious. That means I cant even walk him on MY property w/o a muzzle​

4. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

i know what your saying we have something simular here yet nothing is ever said about mine,,, i still do what i was doing,,,that is something they put in there for those who they want to pick on,,,i understand your concern but will bet you have no trouble out of it,,,,

here they are targeting these 15 to 30 dog yards,,, and haven't had any issues with my 5,,,so i was told

5. GAowner

GAowner Pup

yeah but my dog f'ed up the neighbors dog, I got a ticket, dog declared vicious and the idiot is suing me for 4k. I have no doubt he will be watching me like a hawk and calling AC every time he sees something.

Guess we will see what happens. :(

6. maximusflys

maximusflys Big Dog

And why did that happen??????? I would be watching you too if that ever happened to me. It' only right what they are doing, that's how laws are passed against responsible people who do contain their dog properly. They are doing the right thing by punishing you and not everyone else for YOUR mistakes. You just have to deal with it the best you can to never let that happen again. The law was set in the first place to keep your dog properly contained and you broke it now they are taking extra precautions so that it doesn't happen again and I see absolutely nothing wrong with what they are asking.

bahamutt99 likes this.
  7. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

I just posted the paperwork on another thread. If your dog is declared vicious I dont know that theres much you can do. Im fighting the same thing in my county. There was a study done at Cornell University's College of Veterinary Medicine. http://www.nopitbullbans.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/cornell_study_on_te_1cf54f6.pdf Print this out and give it a try...couldnt hurt. YIS, D.

8. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

First what was it that deemed your dog visious? They do have to prove that it has those tendencies or it is simply a violation of your rights.

Can you give me any info on what county your are in? Counties set their own laws and unfortunately they 99% of the time do not give much prior notice when they are trying to pass a law such as tethering, once it is passed there is not much you can do about it.

As hard as these types of laws are on responsible owners the counties do have very valid reasons for passing these laws. It is not the responsible owners that are causing these issues it is the ones that leave dogs out unattended on chains and tethers without food, water, shelter, or any human interaction.

9. maximusflys

maximusflys Big Dog

Well, attacking a neighbors dog would consider it a dangerous dog. It is not a violation of his rights. The city is doing the right thing to protect others form this happening again.

10. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

GAPITS I believe he is in Dallas GA.

And Maximusfly I understand where you are comming from. But how many incidents were involved before the dog was deemed vicious? And personally I do not think a dog that attacks another dog is vicious. They are animals. When I think of a vicious dog I think about HA. But hey I do not write the laws. And I do think that it all depends on the circumstances surrounding the said incident.

We as owners of this breed do and should know what they are capable of so we need to take the proper precautions so incidents will not happen. But accidents do happen. When it happens more than once it is a pattern.

But I do think that owners should be responsible for their dogs actions. And held liable but just like in all cases they should be judged on the the whole situation. Not just a pit bull attacks another dog. When in some cases the other dog starts the fight.

But it does boil down to responsible ownership. JMHO

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  11. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

Cynthia I do agree with your point that DA is absolutely not the same or any real indicator of HA, but as APBT owners we are all well aware of the danger that our breed faces on a daily basis we must make it a priority to do everything in our power (fencing, chains where legal, kennels, etc...) to contain and maintain our dogs in a proper, safe, and healthy environment.

12. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

Is this a county ruling that affects just certain breeds? Or is this ruled on a case by case basis? What were the circumstances of your dog getting in a fight with the neighbor's dog? I think we need a few more details regarding this situation, this seems like it may not even be BSL.

13. maximusflys

maximusflys Big Dog

I completely agree with the both of you and I know the difference between DA and HA and I know HA is not the case here. But when an accident happens you are ultimatley responsible and should do everything they are asking you to do without bitching about. Does the dog need to kill the neighbors dog or someone else's dog before they set strict rules upon him. With this breed all it take is one accident for the whole city to start BSL. You had an accident, take responsibility and be happy that only you are being punished for your own mistake and not others. What the city is asking is reasonable considering the situation the other option could've have been euthanzing the dog.

And, Yes the situation needs to be more clear on what actuallly happened.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  14. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

I agree thats why I said

We as owners of this breed do and should know what they are capable of so we need to take the proper precautions so incidents will not happen. But accidents do happen. When it happens more than once it is a pattern

I do not know the whole situation. So it is hard for me to comment.

And I agree when you (or your dog) is in the wrong you should do what you have to to rectify the situation. We also know that sometimes no matter how much you try you can not please everyone.

It would help if the OP said what happened.

I am not trying to make excuses. And we do know how ppl react when a "pit bull type" dog is involved.

And you may have to do what you have to do to keep your dog. Be responsible. If your dog was responsible pay for the Vet Bills. Or at least offer half. Most of the times the other party just want you to accept your part in it.

My Scrappy is very DA and I know if he ever got loose I would be in trouble. And because of that I do not give him any oppurtunity to do so.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  15. maximusflys

maximusflys Big Dog

Actually, from reading his previous posts he doesn't even belong owning this breed or any dog for that matter.

16. GAowner

GAowner Pup

Yes, we had some incidents in not keeping him contained properly. Thats no secret here as I got my ass kicked up and down these boards for it. I made the mistake of leaving him outside on an invisible fence. The fence worked well to keep him from leaving the yard and roaming, but did not keep him contained when fighting with a dog. We had 3 incidents where dogs came in the yard, they got into fights and of course my dog won. One he chased the dog home, an other they were tussling on the property line back and forth. That guy called AC and AC believed him and gave me a ticket. There was no hearing contrary to state law, or appeals process. The state calls it aggressive dog and the county calls it vicious so they sidestep the appeals process.

Basically hes vicious because he got in a fight with another dog in our yard and won.

I now know invisible fences are no good so lets not even go there. Maximus, if you read all the posts, you would see that I have done everything possible to rectify the situation. Better late than never

I have learned my lesson and done everything I need to, to keep him properly set up. Hes on a chain when outside solo and we setup a 100' foot cable run for supervised exercise. The family understands the importance of not letting him out by accident, closing doors etc.. Hes an inside dog. Sometimes in the early AM if I have a headache, I put him on his chain so he can use the bathroom or get some fresh air.

Now the new law says NO dog can be chained unless INSIDE a fenced area. I understand theres bad people who leave dogs chained wrapped around trees, no water, no shade etc. But this law is too broad and responsible owners (yes I consider myself a reformed, responsible owner now) are now in violation.

I guess its not really that big of a deal. I just have to put up a kennell fence now. Thats just more money and work versus a hole with some concrete or an axle setup.

Yes its the city of Dallas, Paulding COunty Georgia. Funny thing is if you live in the city limits, the rules dont apply. BTW, the rules posted on their site are the old ones. Heres a link to the new ones http://www.paulding.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=49131

17. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

Well, that's good and all that you are reformed, and we all know that accidents happen, but you've gotta understand that you gotta live with the consequences for past mistakes, even ones you've learned from.

18. gaowner,

i CLEARLY remember all your stories. don't you wish now you just would have listened after you posted the FIRST one?

anybody not properly containing their dogs...............USE THIS THREAD AS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU AND OUR BREED FOR IRRESPONSIBILITY. :( or if you go read all his other stories also.....:(

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  19. after reading this, im realizing not many people should be able to own a gamedog or any dog for that matter. maybe you should move to a neighborhood that doesnt have an association in control of your property....

bulldogger89 At The Lakes Knls