1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

jumping the fence

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by thedude04, Aug 1, 2007.

1. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

as the title stats im having a real proplem with gunner jumping the fence its been going on for awhile his a house dog so the only time his in the back yard is when im there but he love jumbing the thing its about 7 feet high and on a hill but that doesnt stop him so i got a tie down and have been useing that to let him out if he doesnt go the bathroom on are walks but that thing is super annoying we cant put him on that and bbq or hang out in the back yard with out gettiung taken out i got the scar to prove it lol does any one have any suggestion on a good way to maybe breck this happit or maybe a way to help deter this behavor o ya and tyhere are dogs on all sides of use but the fence he jumps the dogs never there but thats the only on he jumps he wont jump the litel 5 foot fence and all the dogs are boys no females

2. koening

koening Top Dog

Well maybe there is something interesting beside that fence , and thats why he jumps . You can try a little obedience , put him on a leash and take him to that fence. When he try to jump, you pull on the leash short , to give him a buzz and say NO , stronglly and not yell at him. Do this every day for about 5 min , and praise him when you go to the fence and he is not trying to jump it . If you can't break him out of this, then it's better to put him on a chain outside for the time he has to stay out.

thedude04 likes this.
  3. 440rider

440rider Guest

This shouldnt be an ongoing problem. It happens one time and you solve it. Dont let him in the yard while your grilling and when you need to let him outside put him on his spot or walk him...problem solved! Chain set-up/cable run is the best.

4. MajorPain

MajorPain Big Dog

I don’t know what to do. But I definitely know what not to do. A few years ago my old neighbor had this problem. His dog would jump the fence or dig out of it to play with my dog. His answer to the problem was to put barb wire around the top and bottom of the fence. And this dog not know what barbwire was went right though it. It was not a pretty sight. The dog got huge gashes all over and the owner refused to take it to the vet, the cut were never cleaned and maggots got in them eventual the dog died. I felt so bad for it. I left notes on there door that dog needed vet attention. I also called animal care and control a few times.

5. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

if he is a house dog keep him in the house.when he goes outside have him on a leash don't let him run loose in the backyard.problem solved.if you want him to have outside time to run around safely get a axel bury it in the middle of the yard and attach a chain to it and he can move around all he wants and can go past what limit you have set.very simple solution that you can aquire very quickly.

6. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

thanx for the advice koening i well try that see if helps at all i do understande where every one eles is coming from but i enjoy my dog hanging out wiht me and my friends when where back there and i would really like to get to the point to where i dont have to worry about him jumping or taking any ones legs out with the tie down i do keep him on a tie down but he gets all tangled up in the lawn stuff i would put i car axel down like suggested but people would flip if i tore my yard up like that but very good points all around thank you any other suggestion would be great also

7. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

question i have for you is if it is your property and you secure him in your backyard who gives a shit.hell even if it is in your front yard it is still your property.what are you more concerned about pleasing your neighbors and being politicaly correct or containg your dog the right way.

8. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

There is always the electric livestock fence as long as you don'y have any small children running around. Run 2-3 lines at various heights. After he realizes he gets shocked when touching the fence he probably won't do it anymore. You may want to check your local zoning ordinances as it is banned in some residential areas.

9. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

old timer im sorry i didnt quit understand your post and what you ment by it please excuse my ignorince please explain further if you have the time

10. dude,

please don't think i'm being a smartass, but if you think you're going to get to the point where he won't jump the fence you are living in a fantasy land. you may think you are at that point one day, but soon as he sees something he really wants it's gonna be all over and too late. now what happens after he goes over remains to be seen. does he get hit by a car? kill a neighbors cat or dog? or worse scare some postman or something and get pepper sprayed? which could lead to hard telling what. the simple fact is you are asking for trouble leaving the dog out there now, or in the future. either take the advice of a tie out, or don't let the dog run lose in the back yard please. there's enough bad stories about our dogs already and i'm sure you don't want to be the next headline. ;)

11. dogged

dogged Big Dog

Fence jumping is a very difficult behavior to break. Rather than working on how to get him to stop, I would work on preventing him from jumping at all. Either get him a good tether set up, or take him outside leashed.

12. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

no you dont sound like a smart ass i think your guy kinda misinterperted my post thow i do use a tie down right now i wanted to know if there was anything i could do to not use it when where out there i do understand where every one is coming from thow belive me i dont want my dog to be one of those dogs more then you guys do trust me lol i was more just wondering if any one had any any luck with a certine type of excurise in traing them not to do it i love my dog as much as you guys love yours and i wanted him to be able to enjoy the back yard when we have people over but thank you all for your idea and insite on this matter and my postwomen loves him lol

13. First of all, if your chain set up were right, then there should no tangleing up, in or anything....
    Secondly....The axel is the best way to go....It does not tear up your lawn in anyway.....I promise...we have 13 in our backyard and you couldn't tell they were and when we took them out you couldnt tell that either....
    I am sorry, but it seems as though you are looking for an answer to only suit you...instead of the truth....
    The problem is very simple.....
    Either tie him up AWAY from your GRILL SPOT perm..with the right set-up
    take him out when need be on a LEASH...never without....
    Teach the poor thing some obedience...

14. right on! well i think as long as you are out there and have a good command,COMMAND being a key word there, over your dog i wouldn't see harm in letting him roam the yard. i do it with mine all the time. it's just like having little kids. you gotta have eyes in the back of your head. :) now if your main focus is bbq'ing and drinking beer, maybe not such a good idea.....lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
    thedude04 likes this.
  15. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

you said if you put a axel down in your yard people would throw a fit.so i assumed you meant the neighbors so the question i had was if you owned your property who cares.you can't worry all the time about being PC sometimes you have to do whats best for you.and if it is on your own property who cares.

thedude04 likes this.
  16. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

electric fence is cheap,,, and trust me it works,,,,run u a line around the top and bottom and no more diggin and no more jumpin,,,,

$50.00 total at TSC if it's that much

17. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

thank you for the advice i should have stated that i live at home wiht my mom
    (i know 22 living at home hate me for it lol but theres a good reason) and she would be the one flipping out my bad i should have said that lol but that would be a good idea so thank you for it. ya he just started his obedince classes just got done wiht his frist one so fearlessknight MY POOR old thing is learing obedince but thanx for taking time out to reply and boogie i couldnt agree wiht you more one min there doing one thing and there next there doing something eles i have to start growing those eyes lol but thank you for all your advice it was very helpful and bbq and drinking and a dog that jumps feince lol your righjt prople not a good idea. ghost1 i well look in to those fences and see what they have for a set up but i heard that they dont have as good of affect on bully breeds is it ture i dont know but thats just what iv heard

1 person likes this.
  18. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

hey i never fault someone for staying at home getting their life on the right track.you say 22 like it is old,wait till your my age and you will see 22 ain't as old as you think.i would rather hear a person staying home a little longer than being on the street starving and the like.22 to me is still somewhat of a young person not a child but not quite a adult either.now a question i have for you is do you have a nice tree in your back yard where you could wrap a chain around to keep him in there but without him jumping the fence and hanging himself ? those work to if they are in the right spot.

19. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

i do have a few apple trees and one is all by its self i didint think about that (forgot to look outside of the box) and the only reason i keep him so close to the house is for my mom when im not home she can put him out wiht out having to walk him in the yard. i would way rather have it in the middle of the yard but she like the fact that she can go to the back door tie him down and let him out but you would have to know my mom lol about what size do you think is a good lengh for a tie down im at 50 yards right now but it doesnt give him alot i have a pretty big back yard its a wierd situation iv never had to deal wiht fence jumping its scary bc i dont know what i would do if he got out