1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

judgeing and breeding to a cold dog...??????

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by BLUE8BULL, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Let me translate what blew8balls is trying to say LOL

He is saying that he is a green (or blue) newbie trying to learn all he can by asking these questions. LOL

2. old goat

old goat CH Dog

!0 x ^^^^^

3. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

.......the answers speak volumes for 99% of ya's..........clueless

4. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I bred one cold bitch early on in my career, and that's been a hell of a long time ago for real. My criteria was that she was cold, white and deaf, and damned tightly bred. She came from an incredible litter. Her parents and the dogs around them also did, as were her grand parents and their litters from where they came....and so on back. I thought, "Why not try it once". It happened to work like mad. I have dogs that are multiple times her to this day.
    Now, do I recommend it because it worked so well? ABSOLUTELY NOT. First of all, that criteria pops up ever so rarely. Second is that over a little time, one should have accumulated at least one or more good, proven brood bitches to never have to even consider it. I haven't since. I won't in the future.

While nothing is cookie cut, and I won by putting my chips on 00 that one time, it should be avoided as a practice, and breeding by proof has always shown to be the best method.

So, now that I understand your question better through all the bells, whistles, horns and fireworks, Blew 8 Bulls, there is my answer. LOL

5. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...well thanks tdk......it was'nt hard...lol........personally like you say,as a rule i would all-ways..try and breed to a proven...but there has been a few good reports of some poping up out off cold bitch's,,(never used one)..i notice it is more likely to be done to-day....as say ya would not hear much about people doing it say 30 year back/etc/etc...it would have to be very specical circumstances .............ya need to put a-lot of taught into it before doing it all-right.....

6. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

Blue, there is also a difference in breeding to a cold bitch and breeding to a cold bitch that you heard good things about and producing.

7. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

I have a feeling that many people dont know what a real cold dog is!. othen confused with a RANK CUR wich is a compleat diferend animal. . I have bred to cold bitches a couple of times and all of them produced AWESOME to say the least. Mind you they where supurb bred and had littermates that where outstanding.... Have talkt to the known legendary oldtimers of the past in my time. and most of them agree that Cold bitches produce very wel. and they have NO problem breeding to them. Not so long ago I had G Hammonds at my place and ofcours we talk buldogs. I askt him to give me some more and deeper toughts about his way he lookt at it. And he said Big-D its a freaky thing that cant be realy ecsplained very wel ,But i Think its dubble dead gamennes!. I askt what do you meen. He said sins a cold dog is not running of and is not showing cur signs but also thussend fight back. Its like walking in a arena to a sirting death with your arms wide open more ore les saying here i am kill me!!!!!!!!!!!. without a fight ore flight mode in your system. Altho we cant call it gamennes ... your stil showing a overload of caracter. facing and walking towards your death wth a smill on your face not defending yourself.. i think its death gamennes twice over.

One thing is for sure 8 out of 10 times these kind of dogs produce ecseptional dogs.. Now you the forum exsperds who didnt bred dogs for 40+ years who have not put out dogs the world over and who havend walkt that path. who didnt breed as mutch CH GRCH and ROM dogs like the man above and others like him who are genuin breed builders that elivated our breed to higher standerds. Are you going to argue with him and those like him and the others who been there done it and are still doing it breeding awesome dogs. And make fool of yourselfs in saying that a cold dog is the same as a cur!!!.

last year we bred to a stone cold deaf bitch she is a littermate to hammonds Race Horse Haines She is ecstreamly tight bred and the signs are showing she is producing very wel .. There are plenty of top producing cold dogs in pedigrees today lot of people dont know of. here are a couple of them known dogs of the past that where stone cold where ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [152] :: (SHIVAR'S) LOPOSAY'S BUSTER
    ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [30013] :: ROCHE'S COLLEEN I belive not sure that ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [386] :: WILLIAMS' SATIN LADY williams Sating lady was a cold bitch as wel. And she was Plumbers CH Alligators mother , and his dad was said to be a cur dog.. and we all know about Alligators Littermates and there legasy.

I have NO problem breeding to cold bitches as long as i know where they come from who bred them and if there littermates are upto par and are producing..
    Another ofthen missed understoot thing ore freak of nature ofset is that some dogs when fooling around against another dog refuse to fool around with a second dog!!. and are to focused on the first dog. they wine and cry against that second dog. Now get that first dog back and they go at it again......
    now tell us is he a cur!! ore is he ore she showing us some kind of weard un ecsplained resesive gene ore what ever... It is not just Game ore Cur in this breed. there are strange variables. and some of them like a Cold dog produce better then plenty a star quality dog around.

8. keystone

keystone CH Dog

do your home work conjo

9. keystone

keystone CH Dog

a bitch shows how to produce .
    a male shows how to fight
    test of the family is time .

BERT SORREL

10. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...LK...it's what would be your first choice....GIVEN the situation ariseing...where ya have the choice,,,an example is two litter-sisters,,i know one which is cold (was given time to prove other-wise,but would jus not use what it had),,now the two sisters were bred to ,the cold produceing better quality than the sister,which also produced good...as a rule a-lot of people won't..but what i'm saying..would'nt rule it out....so maybe a-lot off taught should be done before passing over certain dogs...

11. PlugUgly

PlugUgly Big Dog

nice Limey. Don't know about calling that double dead gameness but overall yea

12. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Limey, I think more people than you may think (especially those who are not just pet owners) know what a cold dog is. What I would find to be more accurate is that many just don't know WHEN to call them cold. I know of idiots deeming a dog cold as early as mere 8 month old pups, and at about every age between that and up to as old as 5 years. That may be extreme forms of patience.

There is also the fact that anything can happen/transpire. I personally know of a bitch from many years ago that was owned by two different well-known dog men, and produced some very well -known, quality dogs including one quite famous one. At the age of over 5 1/2 years, they took her to the box just to prove to someone she was cold.....and she started up like flash paper, and with a vengeance.

While this is an unusual, call it rare situation, it just goes to show that not only is it not cookie cut as to when to label a dog cold, it also is a fact that many don't know what is a sensible time frame for which to do so. So, if by saying most don't know what a cold dog is, you mean they may not know what one displays in the box to show it, or.....they don't know when to call one cold, I agree with you, but if you mean most actual doggers don't know what one even is, I wanted to clarify the gamut of situations which do play into that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
  13. old goat

old goat CH Dog

limey that was a hell of a story you got .

14. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I don't think anybody ever questioned the fact as to weather a cold bitch can produce. That's an interesting theory as to a cold dog being some sort of brave feat or something. There's always going to be a multitude of opinions on styles and ways of breeding. But my question to a person that feels that breeding cold dogs is okay because they have produced, what's the point of the show? And secondly do you really think it makes a difference if its the male or female that's cold? I know that a lot of people have bred cold dogs and curs and have produced good dogs but if improving what's on your yard is the goal wouldn't it be more productive to breed solid dogs? Just me thinking

15. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I agree and have stated so in my prior posts on this thread, Cage. I think the exception proves the rule simply by being the "exception". I totally agree with you.

16. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

.....lol.....

17. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

True, I was just wanting to hear the views on the topic really. I've heard others that stated that you learn how to fight from your daddy so it didn't matter about the bitch.

18. Not true,,,,,,,,

19. keystone

keystone CH Dog

stay in controle of your bitches.

20. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...bang on tdk...some-times people are to quick to label a dog cold...what ur saying is true it happend many years back to a friend,and i,,were made liars out off it..lol...there's no need to be extreme with patience,but some is all-way's better......good q..ing...cajun-b....how do people feel when it comes to a dog or bitch cold,,in a breeding...???????????????