1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Job for Cane Corso

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Julez, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Julez

Julez Big Dog

I know that this is a APBT site, but I was curious..

I have a Cane Corso that I got to watch the family/house after we had SERIOUS issues with a homicidal/suicidal, drug fueled x-boyfriend of mine. Any way, the dog is about a year old, and needs a "Job"... He is unpapered, but a beast of a dog, with quite a bit of drive, and more than a little aggression. He knows his basic obediance, but I was wondering if there is anyway of going about training a dog in protection-type work, without a "helper"? Or any other suggestions on what he can do?? He is an excellent watch dog, but I have never trained a dog in bite work, and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips??

2. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

I wouldn't train a dog in bite work or anything close to that unless I had someone experienced to show me. I doubt it can be done by an inexperienced person without a helper. I may be wrong but I don't think people who train in bite work want an excessively aggressive animal.... But I'm sure someone will chime in. Maybe there are some local clubs you could join for the training?

3. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

You should get with an expirenced shutzhund trainer never attempt to train a dog in any sort of defense traing or bite work alone. Like C said you should find a local club that works with your breed of dog. I have a girl friend who does this kind of work with her dogs and she knows a lot of trainers in different states if you pm me where u are located I can call her and get some names for you of good clubs in your area. Most clubs have guest passes and will allow you to visit with your dogs and work with some of the other club members and trainers before you join.

4. Julez

Julez Big Dog

I will have to look into. I've always wanted to learn how to do it.

5. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Lot of obedience and hard work involved has your dog had any formal obedience training yet? That's really important going in how old is the dog?

6. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

There are some members that have these ban dog type, search it out. They were also training in this work. Could always turn em loose on a hog or other game animal. I do not know a lot about the crosses, but they are HA for sure. I was on APBTchannel on youtube and was watching some videos...some monsters. this site also has a sister site for those type of dogs..

7. CCDINO

CCDINO Pup

I have 4 corso's and i train pp work. I don't recommend doing it your self. You'll cause conflict with your dog and have handler aggression. That's why I don't work my own dogs! Search you area for an experienced helper/decoy.I'm not talking anyone that puts a suit on.corso's are defense driven dogs so the work has to be balanced from prey and defense. I let some trainer that didn't know corso's screw my oldest male up... Be careful

8. hardluck

hardluck Banned

i would recommend for you to get a .38 or a .357(if you really hate him) concealed weapon. that will do the homicidal/suicidal, drug fueled x-boyfriend in. and if it is legally concealed you will get away with it too if the circumstances are with in the boundaries of the law. sounds better than the guard dog idea to me because even if the dog attacks the intruder and is not trained properly to let go and only knows attack the intruder can have the right to sue. the gun is all around safer imo lol.

9. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

10. AGame

AGame CH Dog

wow i didn't realize you had so many sister sites

11. Julez

Julez Big Dog

I've done obediance with him. He deff needs more advanced stuff. As soon as our weather straitens out I hope to work with him more. From the info I got, I don't think I will go the protection route.. atleast not untill I learn more about it. Like I said, I had never done it, and didnt know anything about it really.. The obediance stuff I know. So I might just pound on that. I dont want to screw him up. He is a great dog.

12. Julez

Julez Big Dog

Oh, I have a .45, just a little big to conceal.. lol

13. hardluck

hardluck Banned

hahahaaaa lol good for you everyone should have a weapon. i think that was the ex military coming out in me. well good luck

14. Julez

Julez Big Dog

haha my Daddy was a Navy Seal n a boxer, n my boyfriend is a Marine... I got schooled a bit...

15. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

They are a all purpose dogs but many people use them a gard dogs becuz of there size

16. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Talk to lee robinson- hes the one u wanna talk to about dogs for guardwork

17. puredingo

puredingo Pup

That's easy for you to say, try living in Australia where you need a license to own a godamn BB gun!!...This used to be good country once apon a time.....