1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Jaeger's hold & bark. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Dog Shows & Events' started by ultimatek9, Jan 22, 2007.

1. simms

simms CH Dog

Re: Jaeger's hold & bark. Any suggestions?

What I'm reffering to is a touchy subject...again I do like schutzund as a sport. My first bulldog was accepted by a local club at 6months of age....lol:rolleyes: I'm not calling out Schutzund and those that are active in canine sports.

my concern is with those ameture trainers that will take on any type of dog for any type of training.
    More so than not, these trainers are training animals that are not suitable for the particulars of bite and gaurd work. Inturn the creation of a dangerous animal.

Nothin worse than a cowardly type dog that has been trained to bite

2. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

pitbulls have an uncaney sixth sence for protection if known how to properly train one,,,my dogs will bite if need to but i have never had that issue but just the fact of knowing they will handle business makes it easier to sleep at night

3. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Only thing I have to comment on is that the dog has the prong/pinch collar on wrong.

It's a pet peeve of mine. :)

4. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I hear ya on that. Although there are trainers with great reputations within a days drive of where I live who do Schtuzhund I wouldn't work with them because they use to much compulsion in their training, even with Bulldogs. But the local folks I've seen who don't even work with a major sanctioning body really scare me. And then there is the issue that most are used to working with Malinois instead of APBT's and the two breeds are wired so differently that its not a one size fits all situation but they still want to train the APBT's like they were shepherds of some sort.

5. dogged

dogged Big Dog

Foundation work is done very young. I started my Boxer and have worked previous dogs starting at 8 weeks of age (on burlap rag). Everyone trains this sport differently, but in my club we do 100% PREY work until the dog reaches maturity and can be properly evaluated before doing defense. You can ruin a dog faster than you can say fiddle-dee-dee if you put him in defense before he is ready and before you're sure he is sound of mind.

Couldn't agree with you more. Sadly, there are people who will train any dog to bite if the price is right. They give bitesports a bad name.

Back on topic...Jaeger looks like a nice dog. Best of luck with him and HAVE FUN. ;)

6. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

Good posting :)

7. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

Well said, and it saved me the time.;) and Thanks.

Just figured I would include this link to make you feel better.
    http://game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19705
    When protection training is done properly, the dog becomes more reliable and controlled. Unlike "natural" guard dogs who can be unpredictable. I witnessed a Belgian Shepherd (at the fair) that "alerted" on a handicapped man I am guessing because of his unsteady gate and his cane. On the other hand, Jaeger enthusiastically welcomed attention from the guy and smothered him in kisses. Weird.

If you are refering to the way Jaeger's prong is so low on his neck, there is nothing I can do about it. It is so tight that can barely turn it when it is at the top of his neck. Unfortunately, his loose skin causes it to walk down his neck. I reset it a million times during training, but there isn't anything you can do about it when you are in the middle of a scenario.