1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Jaeger's hold & bark. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Dog Shows & Events' started by ultimatek9, Jan 22, 2007.

1. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

Jaeger's hold & bark. Any suggestions?

Here are some pictures we took of Jaeger yesterday at training. We are working on teaching him a hold and bark. Jaeger is now 9 months old. His grip has really improved over the past couple of months.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. I think Jaeger is coming along really well. Please let me know your comments, suggestions, etc.; anything that you think I should be doing differently. A couple months ago I was told to "post" him, which I did, and it really improved his strike and grip. So let me know. Thanks.

2. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Re: Jaeger's hold & bark. Any suggestions?

pretty dog....looks like he is really getting a hold on the idea. :)

3. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Jaeger's a handsome boy. Very happy to have seen him in person.

4. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

Just curious ... did he start full out bite work before he was done teething? Just asking because you said you started a couple of months ago. I think age here is a factor in the training. JMO

Are you working and playing with him with a jute as well. If not you may want to do that, it may help

Looks like he is really having a blast that is great.

Are you working with a trainer or on your own? Is this your first dog that you are doing bite work with? Did you work on his obedience commands and get them solid first? Looks like he has nice eye contact in the first pict on his sit stay

5. Attila

Attila Guest

He sure is a large dog. That should ward of some trouble right there. I have never trained a dog in this mannor so I am not in the know of it. I have had dogs of other breeds do so naturally. Being protective that is. I didn't have to train them to be as such. Do you have to switch up the person that gets held? Seems that the dog shouldn't know the person and that the person is alternated with others. But that is just my thought on it. I know in martial arts we spared with various people to learn other styles of attack and how to deal with people of various hights and weights to develop a well rounded defence and attack for those differences.

6. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

Really nice pictures. I'd be very interested in hearing more about the theory of bite work (re. Atilla's questions). Are you going to show the dog, I mean compete with him? Or are you training him for your satisfaction and amusement? I'd love to see more pictures and hear more info. Thanks.

7. Michele

Michele Guest

his markings are fabulous....nice looking dog

8. jaredbmw

jaredbmw Pup

Hey UltimateK9, are you ultimate k9 as in www.ultimatek9.com???

Jared

9. Re: Jaeger's hold & bark. Any suggestions?

Pretty dog. I dont like Schutzhundsport.

10. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

whats not to like?

11. simms

simms CH Dog

I like schutzund, however not for the APBT.

Ultimatek9

I have to ask, Why are you doing bite work with a pup? Just cause you want to train, doesnt mean that that animal is a canadite for that type of training.

You cant properly evaluate an animal for this type of work under the age of 18 months to 2 yrs!

That being said for all breeds.

12. simms

simms CH Dog

Nice website!

13. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

SchH is more than just bite work. It is a lot of obedience and also tracking. APBTs can excel well in both those areas pretty easily IMO if they are sound.

As for bite work and APBTs, not all are cut out for it and it has to be treated like a game for them IMO as a well bred APBT is NOT going to want to go at a man. It pretty much has to be all about the sleeve. I hope I am explaining it correctly. They can not and should not be trained like for instance a GSD or Rottie. APBTs are not guardian breeds so the training makes a huge difference. You can totally ruin a dog with improper training IMO. No I do not do it. I have however researched and watched it and have friends that do it with their APBTs and compete. It is quite interesting.

The bite work and protection aspects are not a sport you should take on lightly or train for on your own if you are not experienced with it.

I'm not against the sport overall . But I just don't think all dogs are cut out for every aspect of it

I also feel pushing pups too soon is not the best way to start

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2007
  14. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

Jaeger was started on burlap tugs when he was 12 weeks old. I am doing training using four different decoys. One of the decoys has been training police and military k9s for 25+ years. Another has been training protection sport dogs for over 10 years, and has titled 5 or 6 of his own. The other two are apprentices. I am probably also going to begin training Jaeger with another guy that is world renouned for his work with sport dogs.

I have done all of Jaeger's obedience and control training myself.

Actually, Jaeger is friends with all of his decoys. The theory is that your dog will react even you are attacked by a friend.

I am hoping to compete Jaeger in several sports including: agility, obedience, weight pull, and protection. As far as protection sports go, he will probably be competing in PSA, ASR, K9 ProSports, and French Ring.

No. My dog training business is named Ultimate K9 Companions.

15. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

I have shepherds that I do protection work with,,,but every event that I have been to and entered the pitbulls always win. They are awesome at this stuff. I do more of a street protection venue,,,I want to know that my dogs will protect when they aren't in a ring and will bite without a sleeve,,,I think its better control on a dog,,especially these shepherds that are very intense

16. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Schutzland-great sport. Bite-work, is as I understand, the epitome of training.

Love the sport, even for APBT's, but I cannot with a healthy concience look at the bite-work photos and think of what others not in the know see. Maybe its a bit unfair in my thinking, but a bunch of backyard idiots with unstable, "attack-trained killers" ruined it for me. Of course, there are bad apples in every bunch, and people could say a few idiots ruined it for any sport our dogs compete in. The diffrence, imo, is people aren't posting pictures of dogs-fighting, or other things which could be misconstrued in todays age, on such a public forum, where countless other prying eyes can view it.

Just my 2 cents, as an outsider, putting myself in the disallusioned publics eye.

17. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

I see your point. The media would have a field day too watching an APBT do bite work, but the control it takes to do it properly and the way the training is done is just phenominal when done correctly.

Yes, there are however the BYT the Back yard trainers who like BYBs have no clue and ruin it for everyone though.

LOL I'll have to post picts of some of my little ones on the jute playing very young. I think setting an early foundation is very important for all training.

Just you had asked about opinions and said his bite was getting better and I was trying to say of course it is his adult teeth are now in making the grip more comfortable for him ... I should have made that more clear.

Sounds like you both make a great team and are having fun with the training

Do the trainers you work with have experience with APBTs? It is nice that you are using different people to get different perspectives and tips.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on hiw things go

18. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Thats odd, all the people I know who do Schutzhund like to start checking out the dogs at quite a young age. And that goes for the people they train with too. My only gripe with the sport is those people who just concentrate on bitework and ignore the foundation in obedience or ignore the tracking. And I agree about letting the public see bitework without seeing everything else that goes along with it. The Schutzhund people are very afraid that the humaniacs are gunning for them as well, and I'm sure they are right.

19. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

People who want to do Schutzhund may look for pups young, they should be bred for the purpose, and litters CAN be sifted through for possible dogs for the work. But sleeve work is almost never introduced until the animals reach full maturity.

Here's a good site for any and all info related to this kind of training which should ALWAYS be done by a professional!!!!! www.leerburg.com The few cases of dogs who actually KILLED their victims were dogs who were half-a$$ protection trained by people who didn't know what they were doing, but they read a few books... so...

20. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

There are those people that are not sure what they are doing and can ruin it,,but,,I do know a guy that bought all the leerburg tapes and trained his dog off the tapes,,,didn't work with any people that "knew" how to train and he actually did very well with his malinois. I am not good at following book lessons,,I have to watch and learn from people that have been doing this along time.