1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ivomec

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by hnelson, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hnelson

hnelson Big Dog

I heard of people giving ivomec to there dogs through the mouth and some skin poping them with it. What do you all prefer and how much

2. Icepick

Icepick Banned

First, let me state that I'm no vet, so I cant recommend you using it. I have heard of people using Ivomec at a ratio of about 1cc per 100#'s. I also heard that when used monthly, some people would dilute it a bit with water before squirting it directly into the back of the dogs mouth, because of taste. I also heard some people would just squirt the Ivomec on top of the dogs kibble at feeding time, and the dogs would just consume it that way. I also heard, that when injecting SQ, it does give the dog quite a burning sensation. I also heard that it is wise to make sure your dog is heart worm free before using Ivomec.
    Ivomec has shown to be dangerous in some breeds of dogs, I want to say Collies from memory. I heard it was pretty damn safe for bulldogs though.

3. pig mad

pig mad Banned

I give ivomec orally to my dogs once a month for heart worm at 1ml per 10kg was given it by a vet after my dogs tested posative to heart worm she said it is less dangerous to give a dog monthly treatment when heart worm is present than to give the wam bam treatment wich can be fatal to the dog i have been giving this to mine for last few years with out a drama even if you overdose the dog on it they just get kinda drunk looking hahahaha..
    Also over the last few weeks i have been treating 2 dogs orally for mange with the same product vet said dose at same rate once a week for 6 weeks and it appears to working a treat at week 5 at moment...
    If using for heart worm or mange i recomend it but i can guarantee it DOES NOT touch tape worm...

4. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

Give .10 or 1/10th of a cc per ten pounds of body weight. An example would be .5 or a half a cc for a 50 pound dog. Give it orally one a month.

5. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

I heard it was bitter tasting. lol I put the dose on a 1/4 slice of bread, let it soak in, smear a little peanut butter on it and pitch it to the dog. Easier than holding them and squirting in thier mouth.

6. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

Never had a problem giving them the ivomec

7. hardluck

hardluck Banned

i just squeeze the the Ivomec out of the syringe right onto the food. i never had a problem but i also de-worm regularly w/ other things besides ivomec.

8. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Don't dilute with water. It does state very bitter and the dog won't like it at all.

9. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Curious question, why not dilute with water after the Ivomec has been drawn from original container??? I've never diluted it, as I always just put it on the dogs food, but what is bad about diluting it with water? I know Ivomec is not water soluable, but all the water is doing is helping out with the bitter taste. It doesnt break down the Ivomec, nor does is effect the way it works right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

10. Icepick

Icepick Banned

I was always under the impression that Ivomectrin was only effective against heart worm larvae, or juvenile heart worms. I was under the impression that Ivomec had little or no effect on mature heart worms. I'm not a vet, pig mad so I'm not saying you are wrong. Maybe things have changed in the last few years.

11. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

The addition of water causes the Ivermectin to become unstable and degrades the solution. Better off sticking with the propylene glycol

12. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

"With the right dose's for the proper duration it can be effective against mature heart worms,"is what i was told lol.

13. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Does it degrade within a minute or two? I've seen people pull 1/2 cc of Ivomec, and then pull about 1cc of water into the syringe, give it a quick shake, then squirt into the back of the dogs mouth. Like I said, wasnt my method, but I would like to know. I'm not sure if I would even bother to order propylene glycol, just to make wormer taste better lol.

14. Icepick

Icepick Banned

After a quick google search, it appears that diluting Ivomec with water remains stable for about 48hrs. Seems people also treat birds for parasites using a very small amount of Ivomec mixed into their birds fresh drinking water. NEVER ADD WATER TO IVOMEC BOTTLE!

15. WTF is that even supposed to mean?

This has been discussed about 40 times on this forum. Use the search feature.

16. Icepick

Icepick Banned

I wonder if the words "can" and "could" would mean the same thing in that statement... The word "can doesnt really mean "will" lol.
    Heres a link that supports what I had always thought. Again, pig mad, I'm not arguing with you or your vet. If I were you, I may question my vet as to what stage my dogs heart worm condition is.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=610

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.