1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ivermectin for sarcoptic??

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by budboy88, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Like what?

A good folicle flushing shampoo will help too. I will ask at work tomorrow which kind is best.

The ivermectin and the antibiotics is all the vets I have worked for would do. And only use antibiotics if there was a secondary bacterial infection.

So you are covering everything. Goodluck.

2. DEATH-GRIP

DEATH-GRIP Banned

& after giving antibiotics/penicillin most likely ? be sure afterwards when treatment is over to give cottage cheese so the dog will reproduce the good bacteria back into its system !!

3. DEATH-GRIP

DEATH-GRIP Banned

heres a c/p from another dogman that use ivomes for mange quote It works! We had a bitch that had dem. mange, and you will want to get a skin scraping to make sure its dem. Sometimes young pups will grow out of it, if they are showing signs of hair loss. I would wait until your dog is atleast a year old. You can google the dosage for your weight of your dog, and I am sure you can find it, but we did it for 60 consecutive days, and I didnt notice a difference until the last few weeks of the whole process, so dont be surprised if you dont see results till the very end.
    60 consecutive days, Im no vet, but it worked for us, and our bitch is mange free. heres another c/p from another one ! quote - f it's done properly it works.
    give it daily and over the course of a few weeks work them up to 2x their monthly dose. do that daily for 2 weeks after the scabs are gone. EVERYTHING I POSTED IS TRUE & PROVEN TO WORK !!! LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE DONE IT !!

4. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

O.3 cc/ml per 10lbs every day,sounds more like the dosage at the peak of a demo treatment.Its not as hard as some people think to overdose with the ivermectin.I know some people gave there dog a 100cc's and it survived yada yada yada.But that doesn't mean its right,or that your dog will have the same results.Im not sure on the dosage,but that sounds a little steep.

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Yes with demodex it is used daily but we are talking sarcoptic a completely different mite. Which needs different treatment. You are confusing the 2.

I am not a dogger nor do I claim to be. BUT I am a Very good at my job as a Vet Tech. In my years I do have the hands on experience in treating SARCOPTIC mange as well as DEMODEX. Because they are 2 different mites they require different treatment protocols.

Side question you do understand how knowledge is aquired? Your post contradict themselves.

Cottage cheese will not do anything for a skin mite that they caught. Also cottage cheese and yogurt is for GI HEALTH. Not skin.

Again sarcoptic is scabies a contagious mite that people and animals can get by contact with an infected person/animal.

And Budboy ceph is one of the first things vets reach for when deaing with skin. Not Pen.

6. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

yea i know i told him to order fish flex, thanks for the help.

7. simms

simms CH Dog

I like to use pyoben and edtiderm shampoo in conjunction with lyme sulpher dips.

8. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Damn phone. lol I hit the letter and sometimes it types.

LOL I think some people are confusing demodex and sarcoptic. They both are considered mange but are 2 very different mites.

Also I would never wait till a pup is 1 year to treat for demodex. LOL I have seen pups damn near hairless and a pus filled mess at 4 months old. Imagine what they would look like at a year if left untreated.

You are quick to put down creditable veterinary resourses such as the 5 min consult. BUT cross post something with no link to the source. How does that make sense?

I am done. Budboy if you need anything else contact via PM.

9. simms

simms CH Dog

They are confusing the 2. These days to wait to treat demodex up to a year old is cruel and unesessary and can cause a person to get a knock on the door from the HSUS or local ACO. But then again most folks don't have a problem with breeeding a regular ol random bred dog who has it either....

10. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

I know ALOT of great products are no longer available due to DVM shutting down the plant. I LOVED Malaseb for certain skin issues.

But can not get it anymore. Pyoben is good but I am thinking about another one and for the life of me I can not remember the name. Chlorahex is another good one. Lime Sulfer is great for non specific skin issues.

I wanted to just add that ivermectin is used off label and not fda approved for the treatment of demodex as well as sarcoptic. That does not mean it is not used. Just FYI.

11. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

12. simms

simms CH Dog

what I love about the lyme sulpher is that at half strength dose it is safe to use on pups, kittens and is effective treatment for sarcoptic. sure your dipping them and it stinks like ass but it works.

13. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

LOL OMG Does it stink.

Budboy what they have In stock is what they have. Unless the reopened the plant. But just as of last week our distributors (sp?) were out still.

14. AmericanDogMan

AmericanDogMan Big Dog

OK my two cent's go to Vet and let them decide... Get good med from vet as well it's worth the little extra not to waste the money.

Vet for everything...NO... Can they cure Mange... "yes"

15. old goat

old goat CH Dog

damn cynthia , did you say cottage cheeze is good for GI health ? you also said that your vet said that parvo shots are good for 3 years after they are a year old . why do they want to give them every year ? a dog does'nt need a parvo shot after 2 years old . if it has a weak imune system they might have a sore stomach . but it want kill them . tell us what you bosses say about babesia . because the 4 vets i use did'nt know anything about babesia 10 years ago and they still don't know much . most know about it through me and the info i gave them . not picking on you just know that they are wrong sometimes .

16. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Actually it is the active culture in the yogurt and some dairy products that is good fo GI HEALTH.

If you kept up with the most recent studies regarding vaccines you would know that titers last longer than one year for Distemper, Parvo, Parainfluenza, Adeno virus. And not needed yearly. They want you to come yearly for the exam as well as some vaccines such as Lepto, Bordetella that only are good for 1 year. As well as heartworm test and fecal.

There is 2 types of Babesia gibsoni as well as B canis. I posted a lecture from the NAVC regarding Babesia from the leading vet in the field on here.

Your point about sarcoptic is? Everything I posted on here is current treatment and is used in Veterinary hospitals.

17. simms

simms CH Dog

Sarcoptic mange can be treated and eliminated. However Demodex is treated as out breaks occur. Some times you can manage a animal with oral ivermectin. If they are born with demodex they have it for their life time.

18. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Was thinking the same thing....Pen is somewhat obsolete (to me anyway) but I think he was refering the cottage chesse/yogurt for after the antibiotic treatment!

YIS

19. old goat

old goat CH Dog

but which test does he do for babesia when a dog comes in and is sick . because they are two . on animal planet on the Vick dogs they had babesia but did 'nt know what to do to save the dogs . they gave the wrong medicine and the dogs got better and then started losing them . all they had to do was google it and they could have saved some live .

20. DEATH-GRIP

DEATH-GRIP Banned

cynthia the cottage cheese if you red my post !! is for after giving long doses of antibiotics/penicillin !!!!!!! so the dog will produce GOOD BACTERIA AGAIN IN ITS STOMACH/G.I TRACK ,,, wtf who said anything about for the skin ????????????????:rolleyes: