1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

It's not what's in your billfold, it's what's in the dog food

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Big River Kennels, Jul 27, 2004.

1. A lot of people name off name brand high priced dog foods they feed their dogs. I hear Iams, pedigree, purina, the list goes on and on. If you look at what the ingredients are, if it starts out with something other than meat, it is junk food. if you look at ole roy, it starts out with corn. alot of the brands do. The dog food you choose should be including the omega 3 and 6 acids..if it doesn't your dog suffers. This helps his coat and skin. When dog food is properly PH balanced, the stools shouldn't be clumped and hard, they should be soft, somewhat dry and fall apart easily as when a mist of rain happens for a short duration. The stool should not have a sharp offensive smell unless up face to face. If your pets' stools have odors or are not consistent with the above you should try using a brand such as Excalibu (yellow bag) about 14 dollars or green diamond for about the same price. There are many times I see people feeding their dogs table scraps, this is so hard on their little digestive system. Dogs are not designed to eat the type of foods we do. Keep your pet in mind the next time you see a stool or buy some dog food. The extra effort you do today could result in you prolonging your pet's life in the future.

2. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Excellent post. I've been gradually taking my pup over to a better diet and man you would not believe the results.

3. I think this is an excellent post too. Thanks, I have heard many good things about Diamond brand also a good brand is Purina ONE --- the first on the list is Chicken, (lg dog breed puppy formula) and my pup loves it. There is also glucosomine in there as well for the joints. I also give her pet tabs for vitamins (but that is it)

4. Nitrous

Nitrous Guest

Same here..

5. MTNDOG

MTNDOG Big Dog

http://www.iei.net/~ebreeden/kibble.html

this link may help some. I feed canidae all human grade meats, no corn, beat pulp, by products or any other fillers and it is cheeper than most other quality feeds.

6. hey mtndog, does any of these have the omega 3 & 6 fatty acids?

7. the only thing bad about purina is that is doesn't have the omega 3 & 6 fatty acids.

8. dbraun

dbraun Pup

I've thought a while before posting this, because I consider it one of my hold cards... but then I thought that most people who read these posts will never switch DF or try a better grade so here goes...
    http://www.blackwoodpetfood.com/BLACKWOOD_5000.htm

I used Canidaie for a while but was not at all impressed with the results as I was feeding a pretty high grade of DF prior to switching. Then I switched to this paticular brand of Blackwood, the 5000 series. This sh!t shows. It has its O3 and 6s as well as garlic, oatmeal and a variety of other "good stuff" in it. I feed about 33% less than I feed of the Canidaie, the dogs coats shine and their muscle structure is that of a tri-athlete. stuff is $2 less than Canidaie per 40lbs bag where I get it from.

Cost I pay is $31 plus tax for 40lbs.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2004
  9. MTNDOG

MTNDOG Big Dog

most of the higher quality feeds do have the o3's and 06 acids, my point in posting this is to help some people realize what good and bad ingredients are. I dont think canidae is the best food but all the feeds Ive seen that I consider to be better are more expensive. Most of the commercial dog foods have corn, beat pulp, wheat ect ect.. for the price canidae is great.

10. dbraun

dbraun Pup

I understand where your coming from, just in my experience I was not impressed with canidae, at least not the way everyone builds it up to be.

11. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

I just have my pup on a raw food diet. And she's doing great with that.

Attached Files: