1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a good spring pole?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by idgie, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Advice is a useless thing to give, when folks don't want to sit back and understand the advice, very good post Miakoda!

BB

2. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Big Dog

Like I said, you take chances just stepping out your front door each day! Do accidents like this happen? Sure they do. Do they happen often? Of course not! You could lose your dogs working them on hogs. Guess what? You do it anyways because the dogs enjoy it! Go tell your fairytales to someone else. Who said anything about a dog locking their jaws on a springpole? Surely you were not talking about me when you said that. My dog just won't let go until I give him the 'OUT' command. I do not swing my dog carelessly off the ground for personal enjoyment. He swings all by himself from the force he hits the bite surface with. A broken canine? Wow! What type of bite surface was the dog biting? It's hard to break a canine tooth, and once again, things like this are not the norm.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2005
  3. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Haven't you realized yet that I think 5 yr olds are more educated than you? I don't care what you think & you don't even own a gamedog, so again what makes you a pro on this topic? Buy a gamedog, live with it for years, gain some experience, then come back & post your "opinion". Until then, no one is listening. Also, I take every precaution available for my dogs safety. It's a shame you cannot say the same for your Staffie Bull. Pity.

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

i apologize for double posting, but idgie, to answer your question in another way, there are many, many talented people on this board who could create a nice springpole setup for you at a good price. give some of these guys a try, & you won't be sorry. :)

5. dora

dora Big Dog

Blitzkrieg
    well your dogs are yours ....you can do what you want with them but if your dogs are hurt it is because of irresponcibility (as you yourself so generiously say to others) as you compaired a parent with his child....a parent and a dog owner are the same...it is up to the parent to protect that child from harm.....not put them in harms way!!!

6. JEEP

JEEP Big Dog

yea it is true... i would never let me dog get hurt by using the swing pole... its just like you hanging onto a 10 foot tree branch...

7. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

I've seen them thrown twenty feet through the air from springpoles, landing brutally, only to jump right back on and do it again. Unfortunately, I've witnessed a number of injuries as well. I've found broken canines to be too frequent with younger dogs, but not much of an issue in the older ones. I had quite a few youngsters leave a broken tooth stuck in the rope or "hide," regardless of whether their feet were on the ground or not. For this reason alone I swore off springpoles, even though I've since learned that a dog's teeth aren't fully set until around the age of two, in most cases.

8. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

The spring pole on ebay is too expensive!!! Like many people above said you can make a much better one for about 15-20$ just go to lowes or home depot. Here is another forum that shows directions and pictures of what supplies to use and how it looks when it's finished.... http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12496
    Hope this helps. Now as for the biting surface it all would depend on your dog. At first i was using a rope for biting surface until one of my dogs started pulling himself up as far as he could go and then swinging in circles, crazy dog! LOL! Luckily he didn't hurt himself, but i changed the biting surface to a wheel barrel tire(one the has no metal used in it) and of course it is taken off the rim. Now we don't have that problem w/him climbing up. Whatever you choose good luck and be careful.
    devin