1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by cheese, Oct 24, 2006.

1. never did use bikes,or cars,or atv's i just got out there and hand walked em then as they got in better physical condition i would hand walk em and let em run on the treadmill.to me conditioning a dog and heavy machinery have no place together,either you or your dog or both of you are going to wind up hurt.

2. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I think what most of your mistakes are if you guys are falling off the bikes is using a regular mountain bike or racing bike! We use a low BMX bike where your knees are bent and you are low to the ground......so that in cases of emergency you can plant your feet right away if need be to save yourself!!
    Roadwork is truly the best natural exercise for your dog but I don't think if preparing for a show you can really work your dog by just walking them!

YIS

3. diggit

diggit Banned

ya thats what i use a BMX. it works great! most my dogs take to it well too.....

4. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

We used to use bikes alot back in the day. Now days it's hard to do as most people and police think that your conditioning for the wrong reasons and sometimes will stop you for no reason. You can still ride a bike with your dog here but you have to be peddling and cannot let them pull you. This is a definate ticket for animal neglect here.

5. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

I'm giggling over here since I experienced the flip side recently: I sometimes use a golf cart to lead horses: to steady and gradually increase the speed of the gaited Horses I train, and I also use it if I need to get to a horse way out in the field, then lead them to the barn. Let's just say the possible Dog vs.Truck snafu might pale in comparison to the Horse vs. Go Cart episode I starred in. The Go Cart never stood a chance. :D

6. Attila

Attila Guest

That is as dangerous as shitting under a running brush hog! Too many variables that could go wrong and end up you or some one else running over your dog. Or causing great injury to the dog in event of a sprain or tear in a muscle. If it tripped you would first drag it some then when you hit the breaks it would sling it around some. 10-15mph doesn't seem very fast till you slam into the side of a truck face first.

7. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

Yea that was my problem, my bmx needs to be repaired so i was using my mountain bike. Once i can get my bmx fixed i can start using the bike again for road work.