1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Is the APBT right for you

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Deep south, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Deep south

Deep south Big Dog

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2 height=27>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]

</B>[/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]By evaluating the dog's breed and background as well as your home and lifestyle, you can assure your family of a fun and loving companion. [/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1][/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Steps: [/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]1. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Consult a veterinarian, who can provide useful advice on a breed's behavior and temperament as well as potential medical problems. A vet's opinion is apt to be less biased than that of a breeder, who is trying to sell a particular breed. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]2. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Consider your daily routine. Are you or someone else home often enough to care for a dog? If not, consider adopting a more independent pet, such as a cat. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]3. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Think about your family. Do you have young kids in the house? If so, be sure to choose a breed that generally gets along well with children. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]4. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Evaluate your living environment. Is it rural or urban, an apartment or a house? A Chihuahua or Yorkshire terrier may love your one-bedroom apartment, but larger breeds need more room to roam. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]5. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Supplement the information you receive from a veterinarian with further study about different breeds. For an overview of breed characteristics, search our site for eHows on specific breeds or check the pet section of your local library. Talking to dog owners can provide additional advice. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]6. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Decide whether you want a purebred or a mixed-breed dog. If you plan to show or breed your dog, then choose a purebred. If not, keep in mind that mixed-breed dogs can be just as loyal and lovable. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]7. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Decide whether you want a puppy or an adult dog. Many wonderful puppies and adult dogs have been abandoned or given up to animal shelters or breed rescue groups, and adopting a pet from one of these sources may mean saving a life. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]8. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Ask the seller to tell you about particular habits or personality traits the dog exhibits. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]9. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Ask the seller about the parents of the puppies when visiting a purebred litter. Be sure that each parent belongs to an entirely different family and has been screened for common genetic or inheritable diseases. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Tips: [/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD colSpan=2>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Be aware that the average life span of a dog is 12 to 15 years, depending on the breed. [/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD colSpan=2>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Adopting an adult can save you from the surprise of not knowing what the size, appearance and disposition of the dog will be as it gets older. [/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Warnings: [/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]It's not fair to the animal to adopt it and then 'return' it if you decide things aren't working out. Do your research and soul-searching beforehand, and once you've made a decision, try your best to honor the commitment[/size][/font]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. Classic

Classic Big Dog

This is a poor choice ...IMO

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]1. [/size][/font]</TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Consult a veterinarian, who can provide useful advice on a breed's behavior and temperament as well as potential medical problems. A vet's opinion is apt to be less biased than that of a breeder, who is trying to sell a particular breed[/size][/font]

..most vets are like the ASPCA and will tell you pits are not for anyone !
    I do have to add that there are too many people who own them that should not !
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Choosing to own an animal is a COMMITMENT ! Like having a child !

Unfortunately too many folks in society today will abandon their children when the going gets tough.

3. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

true there are many vets & SPCA people who do not beleive that the apbt is a dog fit for society. a prime example was on Animal Planet last night on their show about the Miami Animal Control. the head guy last night stated that pit bullsl, no matter how trained & obedient they are or how nicely they are raised, will one day turn on you. In is words all pit bulls will one day "snap". He said it's in their nature. (Animal Planet has not heard the last of what I have to say!)

However, not all feel this way. Where I work there are 8 vet & 22 vet techs. 6 out of the 8 vets owns a apbt or an apbt mix. 17 of us techs own apbts or apbt mixes. There is only 1 tech who hates the breed (said all should be killed), but he owns Great Danes who the rest of us would never trust. I also work with the Louisiana APBT rescue. I would say that 3/4 of the state's shelters call us anytime an apbt comes in to see if we can go get in. I myself have recieved 2 dogs from area shelters that were the victims of "street fighters". Although covered in scars from head to toes, the shelters called us anyway to give them a chance. we all know what can happen if in the wrong hands. We also take in dogs from surrounding states. As for the ASPCA in New York, they don't dislike the breed b/c they adopt out more APBTs than any other SPCA organization.

4. animal planet is a bunch of garbage

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I agree with you on that one, texas. they definitely don't help anything.

6. its just a bunch of wrong info..........especially the miami ones..............they tell so much bogus sh!t, its not even funny

7. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

yep, I have actually been sitting here thinking of calling the s.o.b.'s out on that comment. I just don't know how much good it would do. How ignorant & foolish sounding could they get. I don't watch that show, but it was on & was on the computer & didn't feel like getting up to change it. However, our rescue has 2 dogs from Miami-Dade county so someone needs to stand up for them.

8. BlueCrush

BlueCrush Banned

Animal planet should edit out any all of those neg comments. People like that are putting our breed down

9. i emailed them once and never got a response back..............i think they should at least hire people that have some sort of knowledge on all breeds of dogs

10. pit stop

pit stop Pup

Personally, I do not believe the American Pit Bull Terrier is for "everyone" It is not a dog suited for inexperienced dog owners, timid owners, over aggressive owners, or just plain old stupid people.

There is a responsibility that comes with owning a dog with the potential of the APBT. A very large part of the problem we are currently seeing is due to people who have no real understanding of dogs in general starting out with an APBT. It is like giving your 16 year old a 500h.p. Ferrari the day after he gets drivers liscense. Too much, too fast.

JMO

Pit Stop