1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Is owning 2 males good or bad?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by renoknight, Dec 21, 2004.

1. I'm just curious, and maybe a little concerned. My situation is, i have two males and i'm told this is not such a good idea. My males are father and son, one is two and the other seven mnths. Dad is very patient but son is verry testy, meaning playfull. They behave really well around each other nevery growl or barck at each other. However, whenever i mention this to other bully owners they tell me this is not a good idea. My question to you is " What has been your experience with owning two male pit bulls?". I would appreciate your opinion even if you don't own two males. Thanks gang

2. nc_pitbulls

nc_pitbulls Big Dog

depends.........right now i'd watch them closely......just for the simple fact that there the same sex , one day dad is not gonna feel like playing or even being bothered and gonna get serious and there you have a mess on your hands , so for right now i'd just watch them.....you might get a better answer from someone else

3. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

I agree - I would watch them very closely. It all depends on the dog, in my opinion. The day of "trouble" may never come, however it may come when you least expect it. Best thing to do is always supervise the situation, no one knows your dogs better than you do.

4. crossfire

crossfire Big Dog

In my opinion that is a ticking bomb even with superviese time together chances are at some point in time they will show their true colors. I wouldn't even keep two of the opposite sex together just because of the fact that these are "pit bulls" and people tend to forget that when they have multiple dogs together and then when one of their lights come on and you have a tangle the owners are quick to say they have been fine their whole life and he just snapped. To that i would have to say if you would have researched the breed and done your home work you would have known that these animals and tendicies and are not ideal for multiple pet homes with out being septerated. Sorry for carrying on, in short i wouldn't have two bulldogs period in a house together same sex or not. But that is my opinion and use it as you will.

yis

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2004
  5. Vador

Vador Big Dog

Let it be said that this male/male rule may apply to many breeds not just pits. But for obvious reasons since they are pits they're fight may be a bit more messy.

6. princess_koka

princess_koka Big Dog

I would watch them. A friend of mine owned father and son. One day they got into it really bad. Locked on each other and everything. She couldn't get them apart at all, she had to call her husband at work he was 45minutes away. When he got there they were still at it. He got the loose and rushed them both to the vet. The father lost a lot of blood. The son was okay, dad was messed up. ever since that happened they had to keep them apart.

7. JC-Pitbulls

JC-Pitbulls Top Dog

Keep them seperated!!!!

8. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

I have several males on the yard,but only one in the house.And all are seperate.I had a similar occurrance happen.I had my 10 yr old male and his 8 mos old great grandson in the house always.One day grandpa snapped at a pup and Blue just jumped him protecting the pups.Any time after that Blue would literally go looking for his grandpa everytime he got outside.He snuck to the back yard and got through the fence and jumped his grandpa.He went right past another male.He just had it out for the old man.A buddy that was here at the time luckily,couldn't believe he went past another grown male just to get to that one.

9. Deep south

Deep south Big Dog

I have 3 in my house and they all do fine (and a cat of wifes)but every dog is not alike

10. Marty

Marty Guest

You should never leave two APBT together never! especially unsupervised JMO JMO= Just Martys Opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2004
  11. Yung-One

Yung-One Big Dog

Bad idea to have to males in your house and you as the owner aren't sure if it's a good idea. A lot of the people I know always try and keep a male from their breedings, and they feel that everything will be fine because the animals are related. But the thing is the animal world is different from the human one. You have to realize that no matter how much time they spend together, one of them will eventually want to be the alpha male and that always leads to fights. Take care of them.

12. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

It all depends on how serious & commited you are to making sure that they do not even have the chance to get at each other. I have 10 dogs-7 apbts, 2 olde english bulldogges, & 1 shar pei/cane corso mix at & in my house. There are 4 males & 6 females. Due to having 2 dogs stolen in the past 2 years, I keep them all in crates inside my house when I am not home. When I am home, it's the old crate & rotate method. If you want to have them you have to 1)understand a dog's body language (most of the time there will be no growls or barks) & 2)be realistic in knowing that you may have to keep 'em apart i.e. 1 outside in the yard & 1 in the house & switch them out wi/out letting them cross paths (or keep them far apart on good reliable equipment) I have 2 males (a bulldogge & my shar pie x) who will go through a window to get at each other; & might I add they grew up with each other as pups. As they got older, they just didn't get along. So, they never, ever see each other.

13. Chopper

Chopper Big Dog

I dont think it's a good thing to have them both together because one day they are going to want to see who is the Dominate one or who's terrotory the house, backyard or etc is. I dont have any advice for you though sorry I couldn't help you.

14. Tom-R

Tom-R Pup

If you keep them seperate, the chances of them getting along when they are together get slimmer the longer they are apart. I have two males in the same household & they are 6 & 7 years old & still very active. They have "NEVER" shown any aggression twords one another Except when I first brang the puppy home. I spent alot of time training my first rednose before I planned on getting another & when the time came I had the puppy stay in the same room But in a cage so they could feel out eachother without confrontation. I always exersised them together & let them eat out of the same bowl. They played alot of tug rope, ran treadmill, & after they would always drink together & rest close to one another.

I always have people telling me that having two males is the wrong thing & one day, but at there age I dont think it will ever happen. I will post some pics soon, I have some video that I took last weekend, My friend & I had 6 dogs all together on about a 2-acre piece of property,aside from my 2 the other dogs were 6 mo to 14 mo.

Everyone will have different advice but the only one who will be able to make the choice is yourself as the owner. Do you want them to gether or not? If you do then you will have to take the time & be dedicated. You should be able to feel out your older dog as he will brobably be the one to take the first serious bite As the dog thats 7 mo is more in a playfull mood. just my 2cents

15. Chopper

Chopper Big Dog

Ummm no offence Tom-R but your crazy, you let them eat out of the same bowl and drink together. You better make sure you keep them as full as possible because on day some one will get hungry and If both are them are going to the bowl there will be a Rumble In The Jungle.[But this is just my opinion]

16. Tom-R

Tom-R Pup

no offence taken, like I said earlier, Alot of time spent training them to behave in the house & around children. These dogs live in the house with me & they know its a different ball game when I come home from work to exerse. They have always been around little cousins & especially my brothers baby who is almost 2yrs old.

I'm just saying it's not impossible to get two males to get along. Everyone has their own situations & different envionments to raise pets. Rite now I have a 5 mo old Henderson's blue, He gets along great with my older dog but the 6 yr old really dosent want to be botherd with the hyper pup. He puts up with the pup until the licking of the face, then he'll give a slight growl & a bark to scare him away or he will just walk away.

oh yeah, the bowl that they eat out of is always full, so they know that its not competiton when they get hungry. The dont eat at the same time in the evening but whe it gets filled in the morning they will be side to side almost touching each other.

17. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

the only thing worse than 2 males is two females!!:D

18. CRG

CRG Top Dog

i agree with that

19. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

hey Marty, where do I go to sign up for my JFO JFO= Jus Fifty's Opinion?

20. Marty

Marty Guest

LOL you just did hehe ;)