1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Is my dog a Pit? Pics inside (+ my introduction)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Monty_, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Monty_

Monty_ Pup

First I would like to start off by saying hello, seeing as this is the introduction area of the forums. Ive been reading these forums for a couple days now, and just recently came across an issue I would like to be solved. I didn't want to waste bandwidth and look like a spammer by making 2 threads within my first couple minuets of being here, so I thought why not just make a double whammy and ask a few questions in my intro thread.

Ok here goes. So yeah, I got a pup as a gift from my father a while back. He told me she was a Pitbull, so I should take extra care of her, and keep her well socialized, give her lots of play time etc etc... so yeah, I did that, and she has grown up to be quite a beauty. Shes playful, good with kids, and loves to swim :) For about a year (she will be exactly 1 year within a few days from now) I had been calling her a pit, and every person ive met who has ever owned a pit also sed she was a nice looking pit. I would be walking down the street with my dog, and people would stop me saying ... hey man! thats a nice pit you got there, you gonna breed her? You know, things like that. SO all this time I was just assuming she was a Pit bull.

Untill a friend of mine sed that she is NOT a pit. She sed that my dogs head isn't wide enough to be a pit, and that she once had a pit that was a in the line of champion fighting dogs. She sed that my dog isn't big enough, and I should feed it rice and beans to make it bigger... because thats what she use to do. (this is not an exaderation at all) Its exactly what she sed word for word. So yeah, that got me thinking...maby shes right... maby my idea of what a pit bull should be isn't the correct one. That is untill I came to this site, and saw all the pictures of all these really nice looking dogs, and non of them overweight with huge heads as my friend described. This is why I decided to post here, and be sure of what kind of dog I have.Altho my father always re assures me that she is defiantly a Pit, I want to be sure.

I would just like your opnions on my dog, and tell me what you guys think. I spent about an hour taking like 50 different pictures, and only 3 of them came out non blurry... my dog never stands still.

So here she is, my Doggy Shayla Tell me f shes a pit or not. (sorry for the bad pics, if you need better shots just tell me)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TIGER1

TIGER1 Pup

In My Opinion She Is A Pit Maybe Not An A.p.b.t But A Pit Dog, Another Thing Dont Breed Her Go Get Her Spayed.

3. CRG

CRG Top Dog

She could be but with out knowing how she was bred or a pedigree it's hard to be 100% sure. I would not take to much advice from you're friend seems she does not know much. There are plenty of APBT'S with the build of you're dogs without the wide head. She is a nice looking dog either way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008
  4. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Your friend sounds like she is talking about either an Amstaff or an American Bully, not an American Pit Bull Terrier.
    Since you don't have papers of your dog, there are chances that she is mixed with someone, but she looks like she has "pit bull" blood in her.
    Welcome to the group!

5. Monty_

Monty_ Pup

Ok cool

SO should I call her a Pit, or a pit mix??

6. poundAPBT

poundAPBT Big Dog

I would call her a pit bull.

The term "pit bull" is used so loosely these days... I don't think anyone from the pit bull community would take offense at all, lol.

Your pup is very cute, btw!

7. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Your friend may be referring to those bullies. The ones with hardly any legs, really wide head, you know, the deformed looking ones. You know the ones who look like they just left the Mexican resturaunt and can hardly move from eating too many rice and beans! JK....couldn't resist.

8. Jay671

Jay671 Big Dog

She is a good looking dog.

9. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

I'm sorry. She is a cute dog. I would not breed her though. And welcome to the site. I just couldn't get the rice and beans thing out of my head.

10. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

The fact that she had a dog from a "line of championship fighting dogs" that needed wide heads and was fed rice and beans to make bigger, should of been a good clue she had no idea what she was talking about, and only spouting misinformation other idiots had told her.

She looks good, pretty true to type, "pitbull". Theres many breeds involved in the "pitbull" classification. It's hard to say if she's purebred any of them, but she appears to be comprised of primarily "pitbull" blood.

No, there is no reason to breed the dog. Good dogs are everywhere, theres a surplus of "pitbull" dogs, and it's of my opinion strictly pets are not good candidates for breeding in these times.

11. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

GREAT LOOKING PUP! I'm glad to see that she looks healthy and happy with you.

Who cares if she is a pure blooded APBT or not? What's really important is keeping a positive image of these dogs. Even if she is or not pure, the general public will still consider her as a pitbull therefore it's up to you to make the best of it.

Don't worry about people telling you that she isn't a pitbull. What makes them think that they know what a American Pitbull Terrier is? Keep her happy and healthy that's all any dog can ask for!

12. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I could "look" at her and tell you, but I can't look at her and tell you !!LOL

13. Suki

Suki Guest

welcome. :)
    sounds like your friend needs a lil more education in terms of "pitbulls". without knowing who her parents are~not having paperwork and such on her, it's hard to say exactly what line/type of dog she actually is. but would i term her as a "pit bull"? yes, i would, due to basing my answer solely on her looks. a 'pit bull' is simply a generic term that encompasses several different breeds, and is confused with a LOT of breeds.
    check out this link: http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html
    MANY of these dogs "look" like "pit bulls", yet only one, actually is....
    so, see where the confusion lies?....
    you have a beautiful looking girl. without papers, one can only assume she's this or that. and with an already serious problem with over population regarding pitbulls, do us, as owners, and her a favor and have her spayed (which will minimize her risk of mammary cancer ;)) and help to curb the the WAAAAY too high #'s of pit bull euthansia, and over crowding in animal shelters across this country. :)
    How Long Before People Stop This From Happening? ~heads up!!!!!! VERY disturbing vid, yet sadly this is what happens when we don't spay and neuter our animals...
    so love her and spay her, and again, welcome to the forum.

14. Monty_

Monty_ Pup

Yeah I took that test thing to find out which is which. I knew which one was the Pitbull right off the bat. The smaller dog to the left (# 16) Also, I already knew the dangers of breeding. (in the process of getting my dog spayed) It is sad that an estimated 25 million animals become homeless each year. But one thing I didn't know about was the situation in the puppy mills that the video shows. Also, the image at the end is really sad, how they just left that dog, and threw him in the dumpster to die, while he was still alive..

Anyways, thanks for your help everyone.

15. CRG

CRG Top Dog

lol........ nice one

16. Howzit

Howzit Guest

She looks pure bred to me that main reason for me too say this and its only still a guess without definetly knowing the truth for sure is that she is a chocolate rednose color which is usually a inbred trait from two red/rednose parents.

17. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

I am sorry your dog is not a pit its a liger. NOW I sound like your friend dont I. Your dog looks like a pit bull to me and she looks very well at that and dont get cought up in the size thing bigger is not always better. Do you want a in shape nice looking dog or a big fatone. You should buy you a few stratton books or something for your smart friend. J

18. She's a good lookin pup!! She looks like a pit bull to me. But like has been said, without a reputable pedigree from a reputable organization, it's really difficult to tell whether or not she is pure bred. Judging from the look of her, I'd say she's pure bred, if not pretty darned close.:D:D

19. 0ni

0ni Pup

she look like a pit mix or a pitbull with not so good of a bloodline but if you realy want to know you can take her to your vet in get a Canine Heritage test done on her to be sure

20. ARAPBT

ARAPBT Pup

Thats a pit bull or a "Pit" as you call it. This breed has a huge type variation but any vet or animal control officer would say its a pit bull. Oh yeah, don't make a habbit out of hanging out with idiots. I would not feed the dog beans and rice either unless you like scrapping up shit with the consisency of pudding.