1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Is it illegal to have treadmill work mill?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by grave digger, Mar 27, 2010.

1. grave digger

grave digger Top Dog

I will like to have a mill for my male but is it illegal to have one i was told no but then again i don't know so do any one know?

2. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

depends on the local laws.

3. Jelet

Jelet Banned

Call your animal control if you got and ask(call from payphone.. so they dont know who you are.. and try tracking you down)

4. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

i was thinking of also calling from a payphone. I want a tread mill badly but am scared to get one. How does a regular treadmill, by regular i mean one created for humans, compare to a treadmill for dogs?

5. Jelet

Jelet Banned

human grade treadmill is a set speed. with a dog mill such as carpet or slat. the dog sets the speed... it can go as fast as it wants.. or as slow as it wants..

6. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

you can fuck up a dog on a human mill. i don't see how a mill would be illegal ? but i been wrong before.

7. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

In the usa it is not illegal to own a dog slat mill, tread mill, or whatever. Some states like PA it is illegal to put the dog on the mill and bait him to run it with another animal. Baiting is illegal. So I don't suggest you run the dog on the mill in your drive way or back yard and have another dog facing off with him to get him to run faster. Do that in private like any else you do with your dog.

8. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

if you got a lab and a mill its ok but a pitbull and a mill its fighting material.screwed up but true.

9. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

ed faron said they work great in his book, but he said you have to "modify" it for a dogs needs.

10. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

The reason it can screw a dog up is because the dog can't run at his own pace. It is harder to read the dog and see if he needs rest or increased distance and speed. Another reason an electric mill is bad is your just picking your feet up and the mill is moving your feet. You run a mile on your electric mill and go outside and run a mile. There's a big difference. Your using the strength in your legs do move you.

11. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

makes sense, good point!

12. If you have a place to put it without anyone like the neighbors seeing it, then you will be ok. If you don't have the space in your basement or somewhere else, don't get one. You are asking for trouble nowadays.

In some municipalities it is illegal. In the others, it is considered dog fighting paraphanila in the very least.

13. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

In some states yes.

14. geezuss

geezuss Big Dog

as someone in another thread says blame it on cesar milan.... he runs all his dogs and promotes this to get their energy out atleast thats one good thing hes doing

15. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

I understand the difference between a mill created for a dog as opposed to a mill for humans. I just wanted to know the advantage/ dissadvantage. I want a colby mill but I'm worried with all the stupid animal control and aspca. I was thinking an electric mill would be a safer bet.just like when I use a flirt pole, I always wonder if some idiot is gonna call animal control on me and I'm gonna lose my dog. Even while handwalking I think someone might call just because I have a pitbull on a long leash. I let him walk ahead of me and let him pull.

16. shortbedder

shortbedder Big Dog

If you can find one of the old Jane Fonda mills they were free wheeling (you had to walk)
    see am at yard sales.

17. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

do more people prefer slat mills over carpet mills?

18. grave digger

grave digger Top Dog

Do any one know if its illegal to have one in Michigan?

19. roe1880

roe1880 Big Dog

Id like to know if anyone knows if either slat or carpet mills are illegal in NYC's 5 boros... imma start building 1 of each & dont want to spend the money or time if its gonna 'cause me a headache later...

20. It is not illegal. But, it is considered dog fighting paraphanila. If you have a mill, a pit and chains, they think you are conditioning a fighting dog. That is the general consensus in NJ.