1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Is 8 months ok for a training collar?

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Ju_13, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Ju_13

Ju_13 Pup

I rescued my red nose a month ago, the shelter said he was approximately 7 months old which makes him about 8. Is it ok to start with a weighted collar at this point? I want it for both building a little muscle but also tiring this active pup out. I've read that under a year you still want to be cautious.

Thanks for any opinions and advice

2. Tiznow

Tiznow Big Dog

Please don't put weight around the neck of a dog. It's not okay for building muscle or for any other reason.

3. Ju_13

Ju_13 Pup

tanks for your reply. Why do you say that? They make them specifically for dogs, and they are sold on many dog websites...

4. Tiznow

Tiznow Big Dog

Common sense tells me that a dog's NECK is not a weight-bearing structure.
    There are lots of ways to exercise a dog without putting weight on it's neck.
    Exercise and activity should be fun for a dog, not a burden.

A dog's neck is not supposed to be all muscle-bound anyway. You want it limber and "reachy".