1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Irony much? HSUS uncovers taxidermy tax "scheme"

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by LuvinBullies, Aug 15, 2006.

1. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Irony much? HSUS uncovers taxidermy tax "scheme"

Simms, you are gonna love this one...the best part is where they say "The Humane Society Uncovered...Scam"
    Makes you wonder where they were digging around when they made this "discovery!"

Closing the Trophy Tax Loophole

[​IMG] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]A trailer of trophies as tax breaks.[/font]

In a separate vote on the same night, the Senate agreed to close a loophole in the tax code that allows wealthy trophy hunters to deduct the cost of their expensive hunting trips. By donating mounted animals to museums—and phony museums, sometimes in hunters' own living rooms—hunters could write off airfare, guide fees, licenses, permits, skinners, trackers, shipping, taxidermy and more.

"The phoniness of this kind of donation called out for congressional action," said Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa. "Thanks to the Humane Society of the United States, we're taking the tax cheating out of taxidermy. I'm grateful for the group's diligent work in exposing this scam in the first place and then helping Congress shut it down."

The bill that passed, under Grassley's sponsorship, limits claims to the cost of purchasing a donated trophy on the open market. Under the bill, trophy hunters must include "comparable sales data" in tax forms claiming donations. [​IMG] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Price list for mounted animal trophies. Click to view PDF.[/font]

The HSUS uncovered the scam in a two-year investigation that found trophy appraisers over-valuing trophies by including the cost of trips.

"There's certainly nothing charitable about shooting rare animals and calling your living room a `museum,'" said Michael Markarian, HSUS executive vice president. "We're grateful to Sen. Grassley for shooting down this safari swindle, which will save the country millions of dollars."

The Senate trophy tax provision, which mirrors a bill passed in the House of Representatives in late July, is part of the Pension Protection Act, which passed 93-5. The president is expected to sign the bill. [​IMG] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Ad for appraisers. Click to view PDF.[/font]>

Senate passage of the two bills represents a hard-fought victory for animals and their advocates. The HSUS will continue to press Congress on several other animal protection measures in September when Congress returns from recess. Measures topping the agenda include a bill to combat illegal animal fighting, which has already passed the Senate and now has an almost unprecedented 316 co-sponsors in the House, and a bill to end horse slaughter for human consumption, which is scheduled for a vote in the House Sept. 7.

The HSUS is hopeful that legislation to require a bittering agent in antifreeze to prevent poisoning of animals and children, to stop the interstate pet trade in dangerous primates, and to shut down pay-per-view Internet hunting will see further action this year.

"We had great victories for animals just before the August recess, but we have more challenges ahead as soon as Congress returns after Labor Day," Pacelle said. "We need to keep pushing to make 2006 a banner year for animal protection legislation."

2. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Re: Irony much? HSUS uncovers taxidermy tax "scheme"

Tax-evading taxidermists...this countries real problems. :rolleyes:

Not murderers

Drug Dealers

Rapists

Pedophiles

Terrorists

Etc Etc..

THIS is what we elect these folks into office for, to waste their time passing laws like this so they dont have to face the real problems and actually do their jobs.

3. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Hear Hear! As I've mentioned before-all inaugural speeches should go something like:
    "We got our asses kicked by the street gangs and the dope cookers, but we sure showed (Tax evading taxidermists, Pit Bulls, asprin toting middleschoolers, etc.) who's boss!"

4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Aint that the truth....I think you need an addition to your sig line ;) LOL

5. simms

simms CH Dog

I second the motion.....add to your sig!

6. Re: Irony much? HSUS uncovers taxidermy tax "scheme"

i also think it should be added to your sig.

7. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Done did, my friends. Done did...;)

8. Attila

Attila Guest

I'll drink to that. lol in the signature. I don't know about ya'll but I include my travel expenses in my tax write offs too. Not to would be stupid.

Maybe they ment to say that th husus uncovered a scab.

9. Attila

Attila Guest

Well it is safe to say they wont be giving the head away now that it wont give them the breaks like before. Good thing they got those game hunters down. Now I can sleep at night. lol what bull schiester.