1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Iron...dog...????

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by BLUE8BULL, Apr 25, 2014.

1. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

With all the new supplements/vit's,,out there we all(should)know the good and the bad...off useing them...for example iron supp's:which too much of can be dangerous...so whats peoples view's on iron as example,,,r-cell and other products...off when to use and when not too....???????????????????????

2. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

don't give too much, just little bits. If you're feeding a good dog food it will have all the vitties added in already so if you start adding vitamins and supplements on top of what is already in the dog food the dog could become ill....called vitamin toxicity. If you are feeding raw then you can add some supplements in but again in moderation. When the dog is in keep its a different story but even then you don't want to overload the dogs system with too much supplements as they can be dangerous to the dogs metabolic health.

3. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...that's true...kw...good brand foods have all the vit's/etc...but when a dog say like a grey hound needs a little xtra for the race/etc/etc.....it's important to get the right balance...it is so easy to get caught up with all the brands of supp/vit's ....it is knowing when and if the need to use.....?????

4. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

The Greyhound guys have their own special foods specifically formulated for Greyhounds and they add all the necessary vitties in. A dog gets all the necessary stuff out the food, you don't want to block the kidneys up with overdosing on vitamins. You got to be care full what you give and the amounts you give especially with vitamins like vitamin D which can kill a dog. Less is more, more is less. A dog in keep will need vitamins added to his feed but you got to be real careful with the stuff, can be dangerous if overdosed. Its also important to use vitamins that a specially formulated for dogs and one should be careful never to give vitamins formulated for humans to a dog.

5. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...yes thats right,,there can be major differences with human+animal vits/supps,,,,,,

6. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

This is manufactured especially for working dogs:- Dog Bloom Supplements and Vitamins then you also get your blood builders and creatine supplements but you shouldn't give too much of it. A dog can metabolize most of what he needs in the form of creatine and building red blood cells from red meat.

7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Very true.

8. illiam09

illiam09 Pup

I'm sure dogs are just like humans at the micro level. I learned in sports nutrition last semester that males shouldn't take iron because they have a high affinity (attraction) to iron. Supplementation could cause serious side effects. While females could benefit from iron due to menstrual cycle = (lower affinity due to bleeding etc..).

Hope that helpa

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

9. illiam09

illiam09 Pup

Also b vitamins and vitamin c are water soluble so those you can give every day.
    Usually all the other vitamins can be given eod or more. Due to them being fat soluble (these vitamins can be stored in fat for days/weeks before being used)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk