1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Irish Staffords

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by beanieman, Jul 19, 2009.

1. blanch

blanch Big Dog

i think the reason people not from britain have the view that all staffs are fat stumpy show bred dogs is because the only dogs that would get imported to their countries would be show dogs,especially in countries that allow apbt's because why would you go to the trouble to get an athletic working staff when you could get an almost identical but bigger dog with an apbt?
    again just my opinion

2. calikeith

calikeith Big Dog

thats a incredible dog for sure.

3. Boerlady

Boerlady Pup

Ok,most kennels may have the irish staff for work,i dont know .But Farmer boys kennels had irish staffs,and i can assure you they did not hunt their dogs,nor did they have bulky show dogs.
    The website STAFFORD-TRIBUTE (doesnt exsist anymore) showed alot of pictures fighting rirish staffords and had info on battles.

4. Atomic Dog

Atomic Dog Big Dog

5. BustaH

BustaH Top Dog

6. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

7. matty

matty Big Dog

I know the website well, what im saying is "irish staffords" was really a term used by puppy peddlers etc my boy Riff is just bred worker to worker he has some beanie stuff in there but also some kc stock, they are some lines of staffords that have a little apbt in them or english bull terrier but these crosses were made so many generations back they can now be considered pure imo.

8. calikeith

calikeith Big Dog

One thing is certain,psycho and stormer were both mix breed dogs,weather isb is a peddler term our not.and just to verify i love those dogs alot,seem much better than you typical staff.

9. Boerlady

Boerlady Pup

10. OnTheRocks

OnTheRocks Moderator

As far as I know the term was introduced by Maurice Dann when he imported working Staffs from Ireland to the UK. He needed to differentiate his dogs from the Staffs already present in England. At the time there where not any working staff lines about in England either. When the market became apparent for this kind of dogs, a lot of people of course started to label reguluar English Staffords as "old type" or "working type". Where there is money there is shady people!

The term "Irish" is as good as it ever was, most Staffs bred for their ability still are heavily influenced by the Irish imports! Altough some people dont like the term, since it has been dragged in the mud by various peddlers and pedigree breeders.

Most of the Irish lines altough became so inbred in the 1990´s and early 2000´s that their working abilities where compromised. Therefor there was a need to cross in other strains. Most of the blood tried where not up to the same standards as the proper Irish blood. But some of the crosses worked wonders, others did not so well.

Personally when I am in the market for a pup. I want a high percentage of traditional Irish blood. If there is an infusion of other lines I just want it to be a slight portion, only to loosen up the inbreeding.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2009
  11. jmc

jmc Pup

on the rocks your complety right, M Dann was the first to call them irish staffords when he was importing his dogs in the 1970's 80's in my oppinion he imported some of if not the best working dogs around to the uk, and paddy sorry to hear of your loss your bitch was very well bred, a bitch i have hear is out of ffb's stuff also

atb

12. beanieman

beanieman Banned

Thanks, she was a nice one too.
    What kind of dogs from the ffb are behind your dog?
    You can let me know in pb if you like.
    But thanks again you're the only one who lookt at her breeding the rest just started hammering about the name.

13. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

14. BustaH

BustaH Top Dog

15. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

Thank you Noway

16. TASOSCHATZ

TASOSCHATZ Big Dog

Nice dogs, not fat or stocky. The problem is not with your dogs but with the ones winning the shows, that look like XLight bullies, and are also promoted by other means (purina I think has a breed specific series and the staff photo says it all).
    If you look at "irish" dogs, or whatever everybody wants to call them I don't care, you will notice that they tend to have more leg, higher weights are common and their looks resemble game pits.

17. depends on what staff you got ???????????????

18. homer39

homer39 Banned

a staff is a staff, they cant compete in the fast line unless theres a cross in them. sorry but thats it

19. peppapig

peppapig Banned

when i was only started in the dogs the term "irish staff" meant that it was a stafford x pbt.......i still use it in that context.....

20. madboy

madboy Big Dog

my say is ,"the irish staff" aint nothing to do with modern day pits but shore has something with the "sbt";)