1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Irish Jerry's GR Ch Weehunt

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Marty, May 11, 2009.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

4th Match:

A seasoned dog, Weehunt by this time had gotten much better about his working ability and I was able to out him up pretty well. I met Devine in the mid-starter area and only a few gathered for a three match show. Charles Gray had a female matched and he kept the crowd entertained before and after the matches. During the weigh in, Baker Davis, who was elected to judge the contest was asked who he thought would win. Baker , being reluctant to make a prediction just said "Its hard to beat an old seasoned dog."

In less than three months after the win at Leo's I turned Weehunt loose on another opponent, who looked alittle spooked. Weehunt drove him into the corner on the initial scratch and the dog started turning and snapping. Weehunt, with his style of adjusting, also started to turn. I called several turns on the opponents dog, but didn't get one recongized. I called one on Weehunt and did get it recongized. After a quick handle Weehunt again drove the red dog hard into the corner. Another quick handle and I could not believe the red dog made a straight scratch with his tail down between his legs. I released Weehunt just before he got there and Weehunt got a stifle hold and shook hard. The red dog found some space between two spectators and jumped out. In :06 the match was over and Weehunt had another win. The red dog had won his first match in over an hour but couldn't stand the heat Weehunt was putting on and gave it up in 6 minutes.

Weehunt had a small cut here and there, but as far as he knew he really hadn't been in a match. The late Earl Adam was putting on some shows in Tennessee during this time and gave me a call saying he was looking for a 38lb male that could be ready in three weeks. He told me the original opponent had gotten off the chain and into a yard fight and that he was facing paying the forefit. I told him I had one tuned up and ready. Weehunt had lost his upper holder in his first match and over half a lower in his third. I never let it bother me that he didn't have all his teeth; he had something that meant alot more than big teeth--big heart.

2. Marty

Marty Guest

3. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

The person who wrote that article (Mr.Jeep aka the late TM) was a know it all from Canada that NEVER did dogs..Fake as a 3 dollar bill..What he wrote was false..

4. Marty

Marty Guest

Grand Championship:

We rolled into the motel at Mount Eagle in time to feed for the next night's battle. After we arrived I was introduced to our opponent who asked me several questions about my dog. He told me his was a 1X winner that was 4 years old. I told him I had a 4x winner 1 year old.... hahaha....Actually Weehunt was almost 3 years old at the time but it was unusual for me to talk about the match with my opponent before the match took place. So by giving a few more ridiculous answers to his questions, he didn't ask anymore. I didn't really mind talking to the man, but I was probably just as nervous as he was. The next night by fight time I'm sure he was aware of the age, record and winning style of Weehunt. My friend Buddy Creech who made the trip from South Georgia was asked by someone from up North how Weehunt was able to win so many fights, this was in Tennessee before Weehunts fifth match. Buddy who had seen Weehunt go a few times, was slow to respond to the Yankee's question. Buddy said "Well I've seen him go a few times." The northern fancier said "He must be rough and a good wrestler." Buddy shook his head "No, not especially." Looking puzzled the Yankee said" Well how does he win?" Buddy said "He just knows how to win by God... thats what he does the best." Buddy, who was dogman of the year about 1980 is still around and has dogs from time to time.

This red dog was from Ohio and was a smart fighting dog, reasonably rough and had a good mouth. Weehunt had been in the pit so many times he knew where he was and was looking for his opponent to come to the pit. When I turned Weehunt loose he crouched low and ran hard to meet his victim. When the two dogs hit in the middle there was a lod crack and I felt something hit my shirt. I quickly brought my hand to my chest and caught a large piece of tooth. I showed it to the referee and a spectator or two and they all asked which dog lost it. My response was "Probably mine, but it doesn't matter. Weehunt is used to fighting without teeth."

The first handle was 20 minutes into the match, I checked and Weehunt had lost only the top holder. This left him with one lower holder and a half of a top one, but both were on the left side. Weehunt would start to shake the dog and sling himself loose from the dog. He seemed to realize he could no longer hold a dog and began to chew him with the left side of his mouth. Buford Adams said, "He knows he don't have any teeth on the right side and watch him chew with the left side." At :58 his opponent was unable to scratch.

he was now.... Grand Champion Weehunt.

5. Marty

Marty Guest

The Longest Match:

Weehunt was an old veteran now and had won his Grand Championship before his third birthday on October 12th 1977. He had lost most of his teeth by this time, but I knew he was a fighting dog so again I began to shop his weight. Rodney Robinson from around the gulf coast had a 6x winner that they were proud of and the weight was close enough, we decided to go for it. I remember several details of the match and also a potential bettor that asked if he could walk with me as I walked Weehunt out before the match. I knew the man and I agreed to let him tag along as I walked my boy GR Ch Weehunt. I don't recall the guy's name but he asked me what was Weehunt's longest match. I answered "it was a while back, his first one.... it went 1:28 why?" "Well I'm trying to decide which one to bet on. Did you know his opponent has been over 2 hours twice?" "No.. I didn't know that." I responded with great surprise. "Well good luck Jerry. I had decided I am going to bet on the more experienced dog." I smiled and thanked him. As we got back to my station wagon I told someone to go find that guy and bet him some money. They soon returned and said he wouldn't bet but $20.00. I said "Well, that figures after all that careful consideration."

The match went 2:21 with our boy winning his sixth match and making himself the winningest dog in recent history to have that many wins with no losses. The Going Light Barney dog had won 8 matches but only competed in the "Dixie Den of Death" aka DDD, he had stood the line at :36 or thereabouts. Weehunt won his the hard way, all of them in Dixie. Weehunt won his sixth match when he was about 3 1/2 years old. The total time of all six matches was over 5:30. His roll time before he was matched may have doubled that. I honestly believe he could have won a few more if he had lived past the age of 3 1/2 years.

6. Marty

Marty Guest

The Final Chapter:

There are ups and downs in the life of any great athlete, be it animal or man. One of the saddest times I can ever remember is the day I came home and found the results of a terrible kennel accident. Weehunt had escaped his pen and killed two dogs. One was a small male, 33 pounds match weight. The second was a female about his size. He had enough left after killing the female to jump Buck , aka Blue Boy, a son of Bullyson.

I had bought Buck from Maurice after he had lost to Butcher Boy in 1:10. There really wasn't much fight left in Weehunt at this point and Buck took him out and had consumed all of one rear quarter of him when I came home from work.

Buck who sire the great Cherokee Chief then went on to win over twenty fights many of them not reported and were "off the chain" matches. Buck was a 47 pound dog, Weehunt a 37 to 39 pounder had no chance. Weehunt was bred only two times producing a 5x winner called Joe from one bitch and a 2x winner, Wilcox's Flim Flam, when bred to his half sister Gross's Sassy.

Weehunt was one of a kind and I feel sure that he would have been just as good of a stud dog as he was a fighting dog if he had lived past his prime. All his matches were a matter of record and reported to the Journal and to Pit Dog Report. He remains to this day, the winningest son of CH Honeybunch and one of the winningest dogs of recent history.

It was a pleasue to own this great dog and I hope to own another one some day as great as GR CH Weehunt.

~Irish Jerry

7. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Good post,Marty.I always find the stories about the old dogs really interesting.I never get tired of them.

8. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

likewise:D

9. preme

preme CH Dog

thanx marty