1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting words from Bob Stevens- original use of game dogs an "anachronism"

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Jefferson, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Jefferson

Jefferson Big Dog

Interesting words from Bob Stevens- original use of game dogs an "anachronism"

In an article in the new ADBA magazine Bob Stevens talks about how the original use of the game dog is an anachronism. He says that on the first page of his article. Later in the article he makes it clear he thinks the original dog game is outdated and a thing of the past.

That PO'd me on one hand. But on the other hand he has a point.

He is pushing protection work now and apparently has a book coming out about that.

What are your thoughts on this?

Is the original use outdated? Should people that enjoy the original use shift to something else? Or is Stevens just being a moron?

2. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Re: Interesting words from Bob Stevens- original use of game dogs an "anachronism"

Bob is looking for a new market for PB.Back in the 80's he was associated with some top dogmen. Now was he a top dogman? You have to ask yourself that question.I don't believe Bob was a top dogman ,he hung around top dogmen.Bob tried all different phases of the dogs to make money.Back then we had a nick name for guys that jumped from one thing to another A Yuppie.He would advertise how to condition your dog ,you send him your dog and he will put it in shape and send the dog back to you with a keep/nutrition plan for a fee.When that didn't pan out he advertised hog hunts. Later it was selling matches on film.Now its protection work .

3. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Re: Interesting words from Bob Stevens- original use of game dogs an "anachronism"

Trying to make em manbiters huh. Well good for him.

4. Jefferson

Jefferson Big Dog

he also said it was ok to take some dogs off leash in New York City if they were well trained for protection work, as they would be obedient and stay by your side. I think that's insane.

But what do you think of his claim that the dog game is an anachronism? I think its unfortunate, but probably true.

5. mr. piff

mr. piff Pup

walk your dog off the leash(especially an apbt) in NYC and its a goner if they catch you. I dont care if its well trained for protection or whatever. by time you get thru with the paper work and get to the pound it just might be lights out permanetly

6. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

I think in many places we humans have become "TOO civilized" and yes, for those places (like the USA, England, Canada, etc) it probably is true... But there are countries (and rural parts of other countries) who still understand the way of the world as it should be, that strength(or other features of merit, such as speed in greyhounds) is something to be tested for and bred on. In some cultures it is thoroughly ingrained in the nature of the people, not unlike bullfighting in Mexico (which is a far more barbaric practice IMO but one that will probably go on for a very long time where it is a celebrated sport). So really even in some places where it is illegal, it is highly regarded and not likely to end any time soon... and in those places and to those people I am sure it is not thought of as inappropriate for our day and age.

7. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

He has a point, the original game is done and over with. Enjoy your dogs for what they are no point losing them and your freedom over some illegal bullshit.

8. 1916

1916 Big Dog

He's got to pay for that house by the lake somehow......lol....

9. allaboutpitbull

allaboutpitbull Big Dog

well in his defense he has always liked schutzhund he has a hole chapter in dogs of velvet and steal but bite work is more than just bean man biters it’s really about the dog turning him self over to you 100% the dog give you complete control over him i do bite work with my pups helps build drive and bite for sure never really get in to it completely but when they are pups i do a lot of the training a working schutzhund pup would do which is really nothing more that what a bulldog pup would do just about having fun and building up the pups confidence

10. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

The original purpose of these hounds will never fully die out. It will just go back underground where it belongs. :)

11. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

you want protection go buy some guns.

12. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Schutzhund is one thing, real protection is another... got nothing against working a dog on a bite sleeve, Schutzhund dogs aren't real protection animals... it's if they're really using bulldogs for protection that it'd bother me, don't they have enough image problems?

13. old goat

old goat CH Dog

these dogs have no business being trained for this work . everybody will be doing it . just like bullies . that's to big of a dog for a human to handle . leave the bite work up to breeds that it was meant for . and if you know b/h then you know that picture makes him look good .

14. As we like'm

As we like'm Big Dog

Totally agree with your point of view 'old goat'...

15. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

To each their own Old Goat. Schutzhund isn't work, it's a sport. Same as dock diving and weight pull. I don't see a problem w/ it...

16. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

If u are going to do bite work use a GS,Rotty,Neo, or any other protection dog but a Pit.Not a good idea period.Personally I don't need a dog to protect me I have a gun.Ok I get it to a point about Protection Work being a sport and stuff.Its not for me.But if u have a Pitbull that is protection trained and it bites someone good luck in court.You will be lucky if they don't throw u in jail.

17. old goat

old goat CH Dog

these dogs where bred to bite and hold and work it good . no other dog will hold that long and not let go . you need to see what they can do and then you might try another bred for that work . our dogs have a bad enough rep. . they don't need any help . they lie everytime you here the media talking and reporting on them . and the biggest myth ever about the dogs . they can lock their jaws . no they bite and don't want to let go .

18. hardluck

hardluck Banned

. "What happens in the dark though eventually comes to light" and as you said im not trying to lose my freedom lol. in developing nations it will survive, but in our developed nation it has a mininmal chance as a true game dog for the years to come. i think he justs wants to prove the dog as a very versitle dog with shultzhound work. i just hope if anyone does these events they are smart with their dogs and responsible. if not i really dont like the topic of sleeve work with these dogs at all..

19. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

A protection trained APBT is bad. And can get you in trouble and the whole breed in trouble. A Schutzhund dog don't know s*** about actual PROTECTION. It is a game for those dogs. If they actually were in a protection situation the majority of them (like probably 75%) wouldn't know what to do and would cur out. Or get really hurt because in Schutzhund they teach the dog to take hits from a "weapon" (that doesn't even hurt the dog, just makes noise) whereas in Protection training, the dog learns to avoid hits and attack the hand holding the weapon. And they (Schutzhund dog) wouldn't bite anyone who didn't have a bite sleeve on (UNLESS IT WAS AN UNSTABLE DOG IN THE FIRST PLACE...). Because in Schutzhund they teach them to focus on the SLEEVE. In Protection work they teach them to ignore the sleeve and go for the arm. For instance if a Schutzhund dog grabs the bite sleeve and it comes off the arm the dog gets its reward and it stops the "attack", it's the sleeve it wants, not the person. If a Protection dog is holding the bite sleeve and it comes off the arm the dog drops the sleeve and goes for the person's arm again. Really different stuff.

20. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

No, this is possible.
    Before the leash laws I often even didn´t have a leash with me as the dogs have been well trained and if I gave the command "heel" there would be no way that they didn´t follow this command.
    It´s a matter of hard training and discipline but this could be done!

Cliffdog:

A well trained Schutzhund is by far not a manbiter, it´s like telling everyone who does boxing or martial arts is running arround and looking fpr fights.
    Schutzhund is the best way to keep control on your dog even in situations that ususally could fire a dog up.
    Even in a situation when a dogs drives are called out he is used to listen to your command!
    I kept more than one Schutzhund trained APBT and they have been outgoing and friendly even with strangers but under absolute control in tight situations because of their training!