1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting Article on currs

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Chef-Kergin, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Attila

Attila Guest

I didn't say anything of the sort. However I don't care for a dumb as a stump dog. If it isn't trainable it isn't my kind of dog. If it is uncontrolable I don't like it either. You do what you wish. Those dogs are fitting for some people just not me. There are way too many dogs in the world not to have what you want in one. Every one has a flavor they breed for. Dumb isn't one of mine.

2. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

bahamutt & abk, thanks for keeping your debate civil ;)

i'm still waiting for someone to start bickering, whining, say they had their feelings hurt, etc. and for the thread to get locked (j/k).

anyways, thanks for your input guys!

3. WWII

WWII Banned

I don't think anyone wants a dumb dog. LOL......I just meant the scratching point. If I came across a phenomenal dog that would do anything and everything, but seemed to be at wits end when taken to the corner, I don't see a problem with breeding it. A dog can go non-stop, no turns, no sound, no anything, but not scratch. But if scratched into by another dog, will keep on doing the dang thang. Know what I mean?

4. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

IMO a dog who doesn't scratch is a cur & had no dog drive. The only reason it is fighting is out of self preservation.

As a side note, years ago I once had a dog like you described WWII. A hard mouthed monster who would go like the devil. But if parted, & taken from her opponent (or if the opponent was taken from her) she would just stand there w/ a confused look on her face. I bred her one time & all her pups were the same way. I planted her & all her pups save one, which went to a pet home.

So none of that stuff for me, thanks. I'm like Attila. I want a thinker.

5. Attila

Attila Guest

Yup, I understand what you're saying. That is very different than going into play mode. Every one has something personal they are looking for in a dog when they are developing their own breeding program. Their own unique taste. If at all possible I try to stay out of other peoples business. Unless they are doing something really stupid I wont say much. I may not agree with all they have going on but I tend to take it as their own taste and it is fine if it does not exactly match my own taste. Some people I just avoid all together on that stuff. Some are a danger to them and any one that comes into contact with them. We must keep in mind that we are talking about events of over 31 years ago. At that time I was a yard hand, not in charge of breeding or much else other than tending to the dogs and other farm animals. I was hell with a shovel and a rake. lol I kept my mind on what I was told in lessons and in what to do. I suppose I turned out some place in between My mother's dad and my fathers dad. Both were into the breed. I got the pleasure of hanging out with both of them and tending to their dogs. I am the oldest on one side and in the oldest group of the other. None of my cousins at that time gave a hoot about dogs or doing much work. I didn't give a hoot about them and playing bullshit games. I fished, hunted, loved dogs and worked the farms. I used to weed gardens and what ever I could to make money. I don't know why I was like that, I just was. Always have been. I found it boring to go into town and hang out, play pinball and waste time and nickels on the pinball games. Standing there looking stupid, smoking and trying to look cool. While they were doing that I was making money and taking the girls out on a saturday afternoon that they were trying so hard to impress during the week doing nothing. Can't buy gas doing nothing, bumbing cigarette off of those that worked and smoked them. Most them boys still aint worth a shit just like their daddy. Any way back on track. I took a little of what both grandpa's taught me and developed my own mindset on how to do things. I think I was blessed to have been the way I was and to have two grandpa's that liked to have me around. I miss them terribly sometimes. I just like a dog to perform as expected. Every one has something they expect and will accept. That goes for most things in life.

6. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

See, we do agree on something. I said the same thing in post #14. Go smart dogs! :D

7. Chopper

Chopper Big Dog

u dont want one to go straight into play mode because by the time its in serious mode it might be to late =o

8. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Bahamutt, in response to one of your previous posts "Why do you want a dog that will scratch into a down dog"? The nature of the sport, done by Cajun Rules, is a scratching contest. If your called upon to "scratch to win", and your dog wont go across, you may very well lose-with the better dog. Sometimes its necessary to scratch into a dog which appears down, a dog thats not a finisher might just take the count, not because he doesn't want to fight, but because he thinks he's already won (and in reality, he has won the fight, but hasn't completed the technicality needed to seal the deal).

Also, being a "finisher" can help keep your own dog out of trouble, during the contest. If you have a dog who will stand over the other dog, ignoring him until he moves and fight for 30 seconds, and stop again....he may be allowing his opponent to recover and catch his second win. Everyone wanted a dog you could go in with, and wouldn't take any chances. In, out, and home while taking as little damage as possible. Gameplugs are fine in theory, but if you don't have to bring home a shockey dog, all the better. Gameness first, and foremost, but if you don't have to bring home a badly injured dog, its better for you, and the charge-obviously.

ABK-"Bo" did quit, however, its many times said "Vindicator was the only dog who could of made Bo quit". That may be true, but, he quit. Rascal quit twice. Running hot, or not, he quit in my book. If standing, it can make an attempt to scratch. Dogs bounce across on their nose, shoulders, on 3 legs, 2 legs, whatever....there is no excuse for a dog quitting on all fours. The only exception to this rule, is a dog who is in shock so bad, it in all honesty, probably doesn't know where its at. If anyone has ever seen a dog in shock (no, not in a dog-fight, just any time...) they are disorientated, mentally-retarded, nauseous and sick, more or less a Zombie. We had a pet who went into shock a few times, from undetermined genetic problems. He was the sweetest dog, perfect pet, rock-solid tempermant human-wise, but if you grabbed him while in Shock, he would nip at you, and look at you scared with glazed over eyes. Looks like cataracs (sp?), some dogs go into shock so bad they are not only ruined mentally, but literally cannot see.

9. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

Isn't that what was said about Blind Billy? Or was it that he ran hot & couldn't see his opponent....

10. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

They said he ran hot & couldn't see & was counted out searching for his opponent.

12. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

From what I understand it has always been a scratch-to-win sport. Before Cajun rules there were Artmitage rules & before that there were rules based on English boxing rules. All required a dog to scratch. So Tudor's dogs all had to scratch & even our pit bulls' forefather, the bull baiting bulldog had to scratch during bull baits. So scratching to win is nothing new to this sport.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  13. Agreed, but I will leave it at that.

14. blingz

blingz Pup

"bahamutt99 Since I'm not into matching, I can safely say that I prefer that kind of temperament"

You do not have to match your dog to be into pitbulls, but you have to appreciate that these dogs are working dogs and are purpose bred. Pitbulls come in different sizes shapes and colour, however the only trait that seperates a pitbull from anyother breed is its ability to express gamness and its fight drive. if you do not want your dog to posses these traits, then you have not done your home work on this breed. Its like a wanting to have a shower without getting wet. if you want a dog to use for agility or obidience, then why not buy a dog that is specifically bred for that function?

ABK likes this.
  15. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Scratch is bred in. Take a game bred pup cock him back and let him go. witch way does he run? its simple NO Scratch, NO Breed.Yis J

16. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Good post blingz! I only wish I could have articulated myself as well!

17. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

My dog is bred to do all kinds of things. Why the heck can't I compete with what I have? Are you saying I should stop what I'm doing, send her back to the breeder, get myself a brand new dog? (I guess I should get a seperate breed for when I do weight pull, too.) Would it be better if I had to drag her off every dog that ran up to her? I realize some people like that, but saying I haven't done my research is rather presumptuous.

I'm sorry, but these attitudes that suggest these dogs don't belong in anything but the box are what is going to prevent the breed from ever moving forward. If the only thing they're good for is fighting, then why does the breed even need to be around since their primary purpose is illegal? I guess we could all move to Japan or somewhere. Or we could perhaps attempt to respect what each other does. I don't give people shit for being dragged all over the shows by their hot dogs, so I don't deserve shit for training my dog not to do that.

As far as leaving the breed, if there are no APBTs, I'm no longer a dog owner. That's it for me.

18. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

No sweets do as you wish with your dog. I thought we were talking about Currs that wont scratch. Not your dog that you love and show. Its cool you are a good happy owner and you seem like you have a handle on things injoy your dog. Yis J

19. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Thanks for the kind words, TripleJ. I'm rather embarassed to admit that I'm letting people get under my skin. I agree to disagree on most things, but when I get told that I'm uneducated about the breed, or that I'm doing wrong by training my dog, that gets my fighting blood up. It reminds me a lot of the blog I wrote in July about how we all need to respect each other for the good things we do for the breed, not hyper-analyze our differences. :)

20. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

ALL pet pitbull owners NEED to be the best owners. They are the one the other side sees. Take care Im going hog huntin Later. J