1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Inside history

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Bailey, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Bailey

Bailey Pup

I've been researching as much as I can about the sport of matching dogs from the Golden days and I have a few questions that some of you may know.
    Why was it neccessary for the dogs to be bathed? How could any poisons be put on either dog without causing it to affect the dog itself, right? Also did any dogmen have any rituals or traditions they did before they matched a dog? Just wanting a more to get more in depth to the history of the sport.

If these questions are inappropriate then I apologize.

2. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

The dogs were bathed to remove any foul tasting substances or poisons. Unless the dog was biting itself... No, it would not be affected.

3. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

The dogs were washed to get any foreign substances, which may possibly effect the show, off of them. No, putting something on a dog doesn't effect the dog that is harboring the "rub", all the time. There are many "rubs" which cannot penetrate the skin, but will rest on their fur, causing the other dog to taste/smell/ingest it during battle. There were also "rubs" which in small doses, over time, caused no ill-effects to the host, but woulf effect the other dog. Hell, there are "rubs", where no chemicals were put on the other dog what-so-ever.

Some of them are so vile, and sick, it makes me furious thinking about them. I will absolutely not tolerate anyone giving out any names of products used in a rub, even if its a simple household item. If your intent is to educate someone to protect them against it, take care of your own dogs, and yard, and think about who is watching, and may be getting some new ideas.

4. Thank you, I am sure most of us appreciate this post. I know I do!

5. Bailey

Bailey Pup

Are there any stories of any rituals or traditions old dogmen had?

EDIT: My post may have been misinterpreted. I was not and I am not asking what poisons were used or could be used. I'm simply asking if any substance used would've effected the dog in which the substance was placed on. For an example some things that may come in contact with our skin may burn it, cause a rash, etc,. You answered my question in your first paragraph. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I know you didn't ask for any mixtures, just wanted to make sure no one posted anything which may help out some low-life looking for anything to help their sub-part animals out, while discussing rubs.

As for rituals, a keep is pretty much a 8+ week, daily tradition. Done with more precision, like clock-work, then most athletes go through.

Over in America, you don't see any gawdiness used for tradition too awful much. A place like Japan, you will see it more frequently, with the dogs dressed up in traditional outfits upon entering the box.

7. Attila

Attila Guest

I am glad you thought to mention that before some one did post anything of the sort. Good job. I have to spread more love before I can give you points but you deserve them on that for sure.

8. Bailey

Bailey Pup

I would hope no-one is dumb enough to post that info, especially on a public forum. I hope not many people know it.
    Anyway
    Was a keep used for more mental or physical preparation or both?