1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Insatiable thirst!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by luge, Sep 10, 2009.

1. luge

luge Big Dog

just wondered if any one else has encountered anything like this lol

i leave fresh water out for my dog all hours of the day, he seems to drink regularly if i leave him to it and is ok with it.

however!!! as soon as it is running low i refill it, and as soon as he hears me and see's me put it down he charges over like a bull and acts like he hasnt had a drink for weeks!!! he gulps the entire lot down more or less, sometimes to the point of throwing up a little bit after! (and i use huge feed bowls) sometimes i have to pull him off to try and calm him down a bit.

its really funny to watch and im not worried about it tbh just wondered if any one else has power drinkers like this and if theres any reason for it??? :D

2. Is the dog dehydrated? Have you done a skin-pinch test?

I had a dog act like that when his kidneys were slowly shutting down on him.

3. luge

luge Big Dog

:eek:oh god no! lol im worried now you have said that! yeah i have and it returns to normal as it should - quickly. he is only 18 weeks so i hope to hell that its not his kidneys shutting down!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

4. Gamebull

Gamebull Pup

My girl used to drink crazy like that when she was younger, from my experience don´t let the dog drink so much that fast, it can get a digestion court(I hope I said it right Lol), that´s what happened to my dog.

5. It's not a likely occurance....just sharing my experience.

6. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Ever thought about Canine diabetes... Here is an article that I found....

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-6167988213978292";google_ad_width = 180;google_ad_height = 90;google_ad_format = "180x90_0ads_al";google_ad_channel ="5878910303";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "339933";google_color_url = "000000";google_color_text = "000000";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT>google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);</SCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Canine Diabetes Symptoms/Treatment

Diabetes mellitus is more common in overweight dogs, but insulin tre

© Charla Dawson
    [​IMG] Aug 13, 2006

Canine diabetes is a common diagnosis in dogs. The definition and treatment for dog diabetes is outlined along with the symptoms.

Diabetes is a common ailment in dogs, it seems to be more common in obese dogs and there are some breeds that seem to be predisposed to diabetes mellitus, those breeds are: Poodles, Schnauzers, Keeshounds, Cairn Terriers, Dachshunds, Cocker Spaniels, and Beagles. A diagnosis of diabetes sounds scary, it is scary, but it is not a death sentence. Diabetic dogs can live for years once their blood sugars are regulated. Don't feel that diabetes equals euthanasia, because it doesn't have to.
    What is diabetes? Cells in the pancreas make the hormone insulin, if the cells stop producing enough insulin or if the cells in certain body tissues become resistant to the action of insulin, Diabetes mellitus will be the result. Diabetic animals are unable to control their blood sugar, they have hyperglycemia (blood sugar is to high). The cause of the disease is a mystery but chronic pancreatitis and heredity have been suggested as possible causes.
    Symptoms: Symptoms include but are not limited to: Drinking more, urinating more, weight loss, increased appetite, dehydration, and sudden cataract formation. If diabetes remains uncontrolled the animal may become ketotic - cells begin to use fat as fuel for energy production, ketone bodies then begin to accumulate in the blood. If your dog is ketotic it may have these additional symptoms: depression, weakness, vomiting, rapid breathing, and the breath may have an odor of acetone to it. If your dog has any of these symptoms see your veterinarian immediately.
    Diagnosis: Diagnosing diabetes is done through a series of blood tests and urine tests. Your veterinarian will want to check your pets blood sugar, normal levels for a dog will be 70 - 150 mg/dl, a diabetic dogs blood sugar will be greater then 200 mg/dl. Your veterinarian will check your dogs urine for glucose, a diabetic dog will be spilling glucose into its urine. These tests are necessary to rule out other diseases that have similar symptoms to diabetes.
    Treatment for Diabetes: The treatment for diabetes in dogs is similar to the treatment for diabetes in humans, through diet and insulin therapy. Your dog will need to be kept on a strict regimen of feedings and insulin injections. Your dog will probably be switched to a diet that is high in fiber and complex carbohydrates, like Science Diet w/d or r/d, your veterinarian will probably recommend a diet to use.
    Ads by Google
    Vetsulin - Shop Now
    Everyday Low Prices on Pet Meds Porcine insulin zinc suspension
    www.vetmeddirect.com</SPAN>
    New Dog Diabetes Help
    Learn How To Reverse Diabetes With A Lab Guaranteed Natural Formula!
    VetIonx.com</SPAN>

This kind of a diet will help avoid elevations of glucose after eating and help with regulation of blood glucose. Insulin therapy is done through injections that are given under the skin. Insulin needs to be stored in the refrigerator, if exposed to direct sunlight or warm temperatures it can become damaged and ineffective.
    The insulin should be rolled gently in your hands (never shaken) before each use. Insulin is drawn up in syringes that are made specifically for that type of insulin, generally you draw up more then what is needed and tap the syringe (just like on ER) and expel any air that is in the syringe. Make sure what is left in the syringe is the exact amount of insulin prescribed with no air. The injection is made under the skin, first tent the skin with one hand then insert the needle horizontally with the other hand making sure the needle does not go through your tent. Push the plunger in and remove the needle. The syringe used for insulin has a small needle, most dogs are not bothered by the needle at all.
    Change your injection site with each injection. If you give the injection in the same spot your dog may start to build up scar tissue and the insulin will not be properly absorbed by the body. Do not reuse your syringes, you could cause an infection, also do not use syringes that have been washed with cleansers. Your veterinarian will teach you how to give the injections and how to properly handle and store the insulin.
    Additional Information: Your dog will need regular blood glucose checks to ensure it is properly regulated. Your pet will need insulin for the rest of its life. This does not mean you do not get to have a life outside of your pets diabetes but you will definitely need a schedule. It helps if there is only one caretaker per household other wise it may get confusing as to who gave the insulin, also a lot of families mark on a piece of notebook paper or a calender when they give the injection so they know whether or not they gave it. Sadly this disease is deadly if left untreated.

Read more: http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/canine_diabetes#ixzz0QiRlXiVG

7. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Probably not it but I found it interesting!!!!!

8. crazycooter

crazycooter Top Dog

mine is the same way when i first put the bowl down she will go nuts and drink half of it then stop and if i top it off she will drink it down again. It's almost like she has ocd and has to only have half a bowl. lol I think it is funny but that is my 0.02 paso

9. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I believe there was a thread about this a while back but couldn't find it. Sometimes it's the kind of food you feed. Certain kinds of protein can cause them to drink more trying to process it.

10. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Thanks for posting that, I was going to say it might be diabetes and that is one of the first symptoms. We would get dogs in at the pet hospital all the time where the owners found them collapsed over the water dish. And when you talk to the owners they say they noticed an increase of water intake. Also the post about the kidneys is a good one too.

IMO that is one symptom that I would take the dog in to the vets and have some blood work done.

11. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

He likes the fresh water.

I've had several dogs that, if they know they will soon be getting fresh water, will wait. Water gets stale, stinky and slimy, especially in hot, humid weather -- and they like fresh water as much as we do.

Dreamer

Edited to add: A vet check for something like diabetes wouldn't be a bad idea, I agree. They can check kidney function on a basic blood panel along with the diabetes check.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009
  12. TASOSCHATZ

TASOSCHATZ Big Dog

Another theory is that dogs are social animals and an almost empty bowl brings you close to him, at least for sometime.
    Vet check always a priority etc etc.

13. BustaH

BustaH Top Dog

I think its part to do with his age, hes grabbing grabbing what he can atm. as long as his play/excercise activity looks normal I wouldn't worry too much though if it continues to persist maybe best to get him checked out.

14. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

I would have some blood work done to rule out diabetes or possibly something else. :) Better to be safe than sorry.

15. TNK

TNK Pup

Might look into who your pack leader is round there,;)

16. luge

luge Big Dog

???

i have had dogs all my life there is only one pack leader im my house and he walks on two legs not four,;)

i spoke to the vet about it last time i took him in, and she said not to worry for now, its normal for the amount of exercise i give him,

saying that i am not ignorant enough to beleive every word a vet says!!! so its a thing ill be keeping an eye on, after the great advice that was given on this thread about potential diabetes etc etc. :D

17. TNK

TNK Pup

Its not what the dog is doing,its how he is doing it.
    Think in the lines of food agression,do you see a possibilty in that context?
    I had a few off an on that would challenge everything,they always tested my position.

Note I said challange and not contest,while in the zone coming off "work"
    is the dog beating you to the water? trying to drink it all himself etc.

Would you be confident enough to con"test" the dog at ground level @ the water bucket :D
    They dont have rides like this at Six Flags for a reason ;)

Its all about really knowing your animals :)