1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Inbreeding

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by PrettyPitPrinces, Apr 28, 2010.

1. I recently got my dogs UKC papers in the mail and found out that her mom is essentially her grandma. Like her mom gave birth to my pup's dad 1 litter before they made my pup. someone told me that it is normal...is it? because when i brought this to my vets attention she was kind of disgusted!
    Also, when I bought the pup i was shown a different pedagree so when i got this one in the mail i was PISSED!!
    any thoughts?

2. lqaddict

lqaddict Big Dog

Don't be alarmed, inbreeding is quite popular, and there are pluses and minuses like with anything else.
    And as far as what the shown pedigree vs the actual ped, I am sorry you fell a vicitim of a scam...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2010
  3. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

Inbreeding is very normal and is needed to preserve certain qualities within a line or family of dogs. As far as your vet goes, they spend there lives studying animal anatomy, many vets don't actually know much about breeding on a professional level. With that said, many vets don't know much about our breed specifically. Meaning, they have general dog knowledge, but may not know about common breeding practices. Every vet has a specialty weather it be horses, cats, lizards, goats,etc. You just gotta find a vet who is highly knowledgeable about APBT's. JMO

4. examples please?

5. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

it's done to double-up on specific traits that dog carried. whatever trait that is, you'd have to consult the breeder on that one.

6. lqaddict

lqaddict Big Dog

Example, you have a proven dog you want to breed, and it produced a pretty good liter.
    Your picked a proven bitch from your liter and breed to its dad to harden the line - that's a plus.
    Here's a hypothetical minus - you only breed your dogs that are on your yard, and all you have is inbreeding, you are not bringing any dogs from outside, etc. and if you are a "reckless" breeder and you will end up with halfassed dogs at some point.
    These are only examples, two extremes if you'd like.

7. thanks for the info! i appreciate it!*

8. rooftopdrop

rooftopdrop Big Dog

well ill keep it general as you dont seem to be a game dog girl. a breeder has a male that has a great temperment and great confirmation for his breed a show person or breeder wants to keep these traits in there breeding program so he is used in theyre breeding program. his daughter also has these traits so they are bred to reproduce the good traits. the bad part of this is not everybody that breeds or shows has the exp. to see bad traits or good ones for that matter or is not honest with themselvs and breeds theyre dogs anyway so the bad traits as well as the good are passed on. in a nutshell almost all show or sporting dogs are line bred to preserve the line and get winners. if you study peds of most show or working dogs you will see that about 80-90% are line bred. hope this helps you understand. as far as the ped swap the breeder did to you that sucks should have been honest with you.

9. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Inbreeding is a fine tool given the person who done the breeding actually knew what they were doing. Inbreeding is quite common amongst kennels because it concentrates the line, With that said though before a inbreeding should take place the person should know their stock inside and out. Reason being is good or bad when you inbreed it magnifys it, A lot of people equate it to humans and I think that is what your vet was doing.

If it was me and your vet was disgusted with such a common practice I would seek a vet who actually knows about animals and all that goes with them in the first place.

10. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

your vet may know about fixing them but damn sure don't know about breeding them. more then likely that isn't the only inbreeding in your pedigree. inbreeding is essential to this breed & has been done from day one. inbreeding is a tool & most of our dogs are inbred at some point or multiple points. im not going to explain all the reasons behind it or how it works because there are a lot of threads if you use the search button. most folks wouldn't want a dog that wasn't inbred at some point because that would be just a scatter bred dogs. if you want examples of inbred pedigrees look at "redboy" offspring or "bullyson" most of that stuff is heavily inbred with great success.

11. shortbedder

shortbedder Big Dog

You may have been shown only half of the ped. I would ask if your concerned. The inbreeding is common among the conformation crowd, it helps preserve the traits that win the UKC shows.

12. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

what is the problem?? theres nothing wrong with inbreeding thats how bloodlines are established and kept pure, and how good traits are preserved

13. websterz28

websterz28 Big Dog

I wouldnt care about the inbreeding, the issue that you should be worried about is the fact that sire is an unproven pup off a bitch who is probably of questionable or mediocre lineage(being that you have no clue about breeding or pedigrees)...

14. OutInCA

OutInCA Pup

Your vet is an idiot. :confused:

Your UKC dog may or may not be worth line breeding, or inbreeding. This is however a VERY common practice for any breed. That is, after all, how different breeds got here to begin with. As well as say deer in the woods.

Many breeds have health problems do to show stock inbred.

Direct inbreeding is best left to the pros.

Its semantics to a point.

In the dog world, some people call breeding to the grandparents line breeding. Others call in inbreeding. Father to daughter, half daughter. Brother to sister, half sister. Now that in inbreeding.

:dogstare:Myth:Inbreeding makes a dog vicious

I do no inbreeding. I have used line breeding to stabilize my line. ;)
    Pitbull Pics California Dog Breeder American Red Nose Pit

15. grave digger

grave digger Top Dog

This is funny when people ask me all the time about inbreeding and why its done, and the stuff that come's out there mouth wooooooooooooooow. Like inbreeding make the dog crazy or thats fuck up don't do that or thats animal cruelty you name it:p

16. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

PrettyPit: I wouldn't be worried one whit. Two of the best dogs I ever had were inbred. In fact, check this one out. How's this for inbreeding?

ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [55676] :: WEAVER'S TIGER.

And this dog has a weight pull title, is a CGC, is pointed in conformation under American AND European judges (Reserve Best in Show & Best in Show respectively), is a wonderful pet & is a serious bulldog. You really couldn't ask anything more from him. Yet he is not only inbred, but heavily inbred.

You see, all inbreeding does is make the gene pool smaller to lock in traits. However, since it does make the gene pool smaller, any little recessive nasties that were hiding in the gene pool are likely to be expressed. This is not the result of inbreeding, but rather it's the fault of crappy genetics.

Inbreeding doesn't create crappy genetics. It just reveals crappy genetics that was already there. Had you linebred or outcrossed it may have *appeared* that you got better dogs, but in reality all you did was hide defects that will only be expressed a few generations down the road.

I tell it like this: If you inbreed on a crapy line, the likely result will be crappy pups. But if you inbreed on a quality line, the likely result will be quality pups. So don't worry. Inbreeding isn't the problem. It's what line that you're working with in the first place that should be your source of worry. THAT will determine whether your pup will have problems or not.

Blessings & good luck with your pup!

17. MISSAPBT

MISSAPBT Top Dog

18. grave digger

grave digger Top Dog

nice abk nice

19. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

MISSAPBT: I'd say linebred on Sydney, but others may have different opinions.

grave digger:
    Thank you. :dogkiss: lol. I hear crazy stuff about inbreeding all the time. Most of it is just old wives' tales.

Blessings ...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2010
  20. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

EDIT: I wanted to add, PrettyPit if the papers you got were different from the papers you were shown, you might want to contact the UKC. They may have made a mistake & sent you the wrong set (it's been known to happen). Or the breeder may have indeed shown you a different ped b/c there is a stigma about inbreeding, esp. in the UKC. He/she may have been afraid of your reaction (which was well founded by your reaction).

If the former is the case, the UKC will send you the correct papers. If the latter is the case & you are really scared of the dog, you may be able to being a lawsuit against the breeder for selling you a dog under false pretenses & might be able to get another pup or get your money back.

But if the pup if off a good line I wouldn't even worry about it. Post a ped if you can & I'm sure a member here will be able to tell you if it's a line to worry about or not.

Blessings ... :)