1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Impossible 2 house break!!!!

Discussion in 'Obedience Training' started by AncientKulcha, Dec 3, 2008.

1. AncientKulcha

AncientKulcha Big Dog

I got a little 4 month old bitch that has a crate. She's in her crate about 5 hrs a day. I have a female in da house dat just had a litter so i have to keep her somewhat isolated. when she's not in da crate she'll try and squat and i'll catch her and direct her outside so no accidents but in da crate outta no where it'll be wet. I bathe her as soon as i see it usually morning, she get's no water after 4pm, I clean her kennel out thoroughly each time and i bet as soon as i walk back in there itll be wet again!!! any help? 4 months is a little early for a chain setup in my opinion but i've been wrong b4.

2. AncientKulcha

AncientKulcha Big Dog

and another question how do you clip 3 week old puppy nails? I read somewhere you could clip young puppy nails????

3. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

Use finger nail clippers.As for the house breaking...I'd take the pup out once an hour for a couple days then once every 2 hours...until youre up to once every 5 hours or so.
    Sounds like the crate you have her in is to big...I'd get one that just gives em enough room to move around.
    Or go to Lowes or Home Depot and get her a small enough chain not one thats to big for her.She'll be fine on a small chain set up.

4. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Is it possible that she might have a urinary tract infection? That would cause frequent urination. Maybe your vet could get a clean catch sample and look at it and see.

5. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

i put my pups on chains for an hour a day at 8 weeks. then up it one houre for every week older they get i add 1 1/12 hours of chain time. cuts down on barking and chain breaking. i would recomend this for animals that are projected to be inside at all times due to unforseen circumstances. its much eisier to chain break a pup then a 5 year old dog thats never been outside. just rememeber shit happens and what used to be reasonable may no longer be a option and your dog may be on a chain in someone elses yard and well and if he dont show well or what ever there not gonna keep a barking ass dog out in there yard that they cant keep on a chain.

Food For Thought

T-OUT

6. AncientKulcha

AncientKulcha Big Dog

Cool finger nail clippers and i'm assuming the quick is just like in grown dogs?
    I've got her in a crate for 10-20lbs dogs and she's 11lbs, she has enuff room for her food and water dish and to lay down. should i really get a smaller one?

That's what my wife suggested so i went to my vet and he said she was good?

Are there any other medical possibilities?

7. try giving food and water at the same time ini the same bowl. dont leave her with water at all times and dont put her back in the crate untill she has used the bathroom. if possible walk more often. and a 4 month old pup can only hold its bowlels a few hours

8. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Good thing you went to the vet first. That is the very first thing I would have done. If there were any other medical possibilites I am sure your vet would have mentioned it.

I have a little female that is basically the same way. Luckily my husband works not 5 minutes from the house so he comes home at lunch and lets her out of her kennel for 30 to 45 minutes. At first her tried walking her out over to our play yard so she would potty. That wasn't working, all she wanted to do was play. So he turned he loose in the front lot alone and she would do her business. Then he can walk our older male to the other play yard. We don't do chain set ups because we are surrounded by woods and devious neighborhood kids. Not to mention people steal dogs around here. Our dogs go in a 7ft fenced yard attached to our house for potty time and across the yard in another fenced yard for play time.

Hope you get it worked out. Our little bitch is better than she was but still is not completely potty trained yet.

9. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Young pups, like 4 mo. old can NOT hold it very long at all. Take her outside and when she goes, praise her to high heaven and treat. If you catch her starting to go in the house get her outside, and when she goes outside, praise and treat.

Do NOT punish her for going in the house other than NO! if you catch her in the act. Dogs and particuarly pups that age live completely in the moment and if you punish her after the fact she'll have NO idea what she's being punished for.

10. AncientKulcha

AncientKulcha Big Dog

ok thanks everyone i'll try some of these methods. we had her set up like i've done every pup in tha house. i go to work at 6 and i get my lunch at 10. my wife goes to work at nine and gets a break at 1. so she went out at 6, 8, 10, 1, and i get off at 230. i usually just leave food but i'm learning everyday each dog is different!!!!

11. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

I agree you have to take them out alot when they are young. They can not hold it that long. I took my dog out every 20 minutes to teach him to go outside and praised my ass off when he went. You have to be patient especially if they have an accident. For a few weeks my dog was house broken but if he played with another dog in the house he would forget he had to go and all of a sudden would start peeing when he couldn't hold it anymore. So after that I would stop the playing every 20 minutes or so and take him out.

I also think her crate is too big. It doesn't seem right that she would go that often in the crate if it is the correct size. Good luck.