1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

I we are all APBT lovers... but what else you got?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Diesel, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

What other breeds of dog has caught your attention enough to get you to have one? maybe its a mutt that stole your heart, or a show champion that caught your eye... just curious what other people have at home.

Me personally I have a few american bullies and a Fila Brasiliero, a large(VERY) guarding breed derived from Mastiff, hound, and bulldog (possibly some great dane as well). He is a great dog i was initially attracted to the breed for its natural guarding ability and unparralelled devotion to thier families. The phrase "Faithful as a Fila" is absolutely true.

Here are some pics of him with Diesel, D is a big pit in my eyes... lean he will go 90ish pounds, but is currently about 100 (getting fat because he is older, slower metabolism, winter time so we are less active, etc)
    Kaz at about 3 months old-
    [​IMG]
    about 4 monhts
    [​IMG]
    4 months 2 days
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    5 months old
    [​IMG]
    6 months old
    [​IMG]
    7 months
    [​IMG]
    9 months
    [​IMG]
    1 year

Here is Kaz now at almost 2 years old and a little over 170 pounds... He isnt done growing yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

nice looking dogs, i would just get them proper collars ( lose the spikes)

3. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Nice dogs. Do you protection work with the Fila, or is he just a guardian house pet? They look big and intimidating for sure, but how's their speed? I'll stick to my future pocket rocket Malinois :)

4. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

i've got a 15 week mastiff/great dane i recently took of a friends hands, couldn't take care of him. I've owned rotties and boxers in the past as well as bulldogs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

my boy harley r.i.p but was my fav dog of all he was dingo/sherad/apbt that boy had no fear and very smart,could be taught any thing.[​IMG]

6. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Right now I have a doberman, I have had different breeds of dogs over the years.

Other dogs I have are mostly hunting dogs. I have a mountain feist, Couple mountain curs, Some plott hounds, Redbones and some walkers.

7. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

Rallyracer- Thanks, I rather like the spiked collar, however its just a photo prop. Most times They are collarless, or they have training collars with a harness. That is the only spiked collar i own, and i only have it because i made it. I have lots of different collars, leather, nylon, 1 very expensive studded one, prongs, slip collars, martingales, harnesses, etc. I switch them up often... but thanks for the comment.

BringBackup- I decided early on that i didnt want to go too deep into "training" this dog. I have done lots of training on dogs in the past and i have felt like they kind of traded off the natural drive and ended up with equipment happy dogs. then it was double training to break that habit. Diesel has done lots of work, I have worked a Rottie and a Dobie in the past... all with great results. The most that i have done with this boy is bite tested to make sure that he would react to pressure and not turn. from there we work primarily OB, and some situational training. I dont really agree with bite sports... they are unrealistic. Personal protection training or street ring would be more up my alley, but again i decided against it.

Naustroms- what breed of mastiff is the mix? Gonna be a big boy, look at those mitts! great looking pups.

outrightmike- i had a dog like that once, a heinz 57 mutt, but the dog was a genius. the most intelligent and responsive dog i ever owned lost him at 5 years old to cancer, but he left one hell of an impression and some big shoes to fill. R.I.P. Harley

8. tony413

tony413 Big Dog

1. dogo argentino i may have some pics but they are off my cell phone :( i need to buy a camera.

2. the florida cracker cur one of the best damn hunting dogs i've seen in a while

3. the catahaua leopard dog.

9. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

i curently have one APBT and one dog you could consider a bandog, both of them i work, the bandog has HD so it now resides by my gf side at all times. i m really focusing on my APBT dog until i at least put a sch1 on him. In the future i will more than likely get a malinois as i have come close already, and posibly a donovan.I'm not a huge fan of the matif breeds, the bandog i have now will be the last LARGE dog i own

10. mw9661

mw9661 Pup

Diesel your fila looks great! I do love the filas they just look so unassuming but when called upon they show how selective breeding has put them right up there on a level of deffence with the the CO and Boerboel. Have you had to explain his "Ojeriza" to anyone yet lol ;)

Below I have put some pix of my boy stamford (boxer) from Italian working lines on the sire side and mainly show and sch. on the dams side. He is so animal aggressive it's unreal never barks just puts his hackles up and goes into "kill" mode lol. He is absolutely amazing with the kids and people he knows, he is good with women strangers but is not too keen on me especially if they are in uniform. He hates police lol I didn't even make him like that he just decided on his own (or maybe he could just feel the tension thru the leash! lol).

Attached Files:

11. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

I forgot to comment on my Fila's speed. Obviously he isnt as fast as a 60 lb dog would be but you would be blown away at how fast and agile he is... especially for his size. we go to a field a few times a week to make sure his exercise requirements are met, he is fast. I used to run track and i cant outrun him, i cant even come close. he lows past me with ease or will pace me and start to hop and tease me. When i do take him out to train with me everyone comments on him. Its just very atypical to see a large dog that has the type of energy or endurance that he does. He plays with my younger bullys and literally runs them into the ground. They will be trying to ind a shady spot to rest and he is bowing and barking at them for more. and i do not have lazy dogs around here. All of my dogs do something. Here are some more pics.

This is Ro, he and Caspian were the main two that would run together, they seemed to really get along well. Ro is a very lean and clean dog, great working ran with me on a almost daily basis, so he is in very near peak condition at all times.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Aasiya- also a clean and lean dog that works and runs. PHENOMENAL prey drive on this dog... i cant express it in words. She has changes more than one persons perceptions when it comes to american bullys and their potential for work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Playtime!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I better stop myself... i have thousands of pics i could do this all day long easily, lol.

Tony413- How if your Dogo? is it an import or did you buy domestic. I did some looking around when i got my Fila, very impressive breed. But with so many non-working breeders getting ahold of them i wondered if they are still maintaining thier drives here in the states. The CLD is a staple down south and i know that that breed is capable of, never heard of your other breed, which is great i love a reason to research. Thanks for sharing your yard.

WHeezie- Do you have any pics of your bandog? what is the foundation of it? Most consider Diesel a bandog as well, If i had to guess i would say Corso mix... he is a little too clean to be a Neo mix. Interested to know what you might have.
    Mals have a great following for a good reason, they are a great all around breed of dog. they are small enough to be crazy fast and mad agile, big enough to be more than just a nuisance in a bite situation, super smart, and HIGH drive. That drive part can be problematic in some dogs but as long as the dog has a job where it can let off some steam i hear amazing things. I actually hear a lot PDs are looking at them as well.

mw9661- AH YOU KNOW THE BREED! Thats great and you nailed it, thats the biggest reason that i dont pursue SCH or ring sport with him. there are too many exercises that directly conflict with the dogs natural drives. For those that dont know what ojeriza is (and havent googles the breed yet, lol) it is a natural hatred of strangers, and its not some storybook fairy tale. i brought him home at a little under 10 weeks old... and it was 2 full days before he would let me touch him. i had never seen a puppy that did want to be petted and played with, but he had no interest in being touched by anyone that wasnt us. he would approach visitors and sniff them out to get a feel for them but as soon as they tried to et him he would walk away. But its the way he would walk away, he didnt run like he was scared, he did duck his head and tuck his tail, he would just turn and walk away. Over the last two years I have seen his ojeriza first hand and can verify that the trait is alive and well in the breed.
    That is a good looking dog! love boxers, but its so hard to find ones that havent been watered down by the show breeders. glad you got a boy with some fire in his belly. Thanks for sharing him.

12. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Big Dog

blueticks, and chihuahuas. My wife also has some bullies.

13. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

to this day one of the best dogs i have ever owned was a littl 0 pound dobie bitch. they really are "velcro-dogs". her name was Brianna and she was phenomenal, she wasthe first dog that i really worked and her bond with me was amazing. she was amazing. its a damn shame what happened to that breed, its making a slow recovery but with almost no breeders focusing on drive withthem finding a good one tempermentally speaking is hard. any pics?

14. mw9661

mw9661 Pup

I have seen vids of filas proving their ojeriza before and they are something else when they are pissed lol! Is it cafib that does the tests if so how do they go about deciding to test? is it a case of the owner taking the dog to them or the breeder is part of an organisation that means when the breeder produces a litter they are tested automatically.

I have met a bandog before that was 50% FILA, 25% presa, 12.5%pit, 12.5% dutch shepherd. He was big but not massive and he was SERIOUS. I met him in Ibiza this year and he scared the sh*t out of me lol. when I went to shake his owners hand (friend of a friend) he just let out a deep growl and glared at me lol sphincter was clenched and I retracted the offer of a handshake.

Cool pics thanks for sharing.

15. Barkada27

Barkada27 Pup

great looking dogs you have.. aside from my APBT's, I have a dark sable working GSD and an Olde English Bulldogge.

16. mw9661

mw9661 Pup

Here are some pics of two dogs we used to have but have had to give them to close friends with nice big houses away from prying eyes ;)

Both were taken away from their mother too young, one (the light brindle dog) was taken away from his mother at 3 1/2 weeks of age and when we found him he was in a small cage with a much larger ADULT american bulldog being thrown around like a chew toy as and when it pleased the AB. The other one was in the same house but kept seperate as they had "high hopes on him being an ace!". Anyway we took the pups from the nobhead who didn't have a clue, gave them loving homes with nice long walks everyday (most days they would come back with some sort of vermin in their mouths!) and they turned out great. They used to fight every now and then but only when they were bidding for attention. We had an indoor pool at our last house and the darker dog (rex) pulled out my friends nephew when he got stuck under the water in his rubber ring "saving his life" (my friend was right behind rex in jumping in). Any way I personally don't think they are true bulldogs 'cos of their size but having said that they was only bred for one thing so who knows? I'd like to call them bullies with attitude.

Attached Files:

17. Barkada27

Barkada27 Pup

here's a pic of my Olde female..
    [​IMG]

18. Barkada27

Barkada27 Pup

here another one of my girl, Toni, at an APA charity weight pull show in PA a few months ago.. and another of us trying our hand at some conformation showing at a Rarities show in NJ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, Your Fila looks great. I always hear those are some serious, take-no-crap dogs!

19. tony413

tony413 Big Dog

theres a really good breeder down here in west palm beach florida, he knew the brothers that created the breed :D. so he has a good knowledge of the breed, but he also sales every dog with a contract, some of the terms are you cannot "fix" the dog because if anything happens to you he has first rights to the dog. also he outlines a pretty good feeding diet. the breeder is also available for questioning should you need some help or advice.

also the florida cracker cur is rare in the southeast an i only know of 2 guys that currently breed them but they are pretty common in the hunting parts of florida.

20. BA08/15

BA08/15 Big Dog

I don't have an apbt (yet!) but beside bull & terriers I'm into hounds and sighthounds. My first dog was a galgo espanol x podenco bitch, easy to train, very smart and swift, lively outside but very calm inside the house and with a taste for all kind of garbage...
    I miss my girl. That's her licking yogurt with style ;)
    [​IMG]

This is my mum's galgo espanol bitch Sassa, spoiled rotten and a hell of a hunter (if she was allowed to...). Not as obedient as my Diva was but those dogs were never bred to be ;)

[​IMG]