1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

I need Kennel Runs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by MinorThreat, Jun 25, 2008.

1. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

2. texas_dogger

texas_dogger Big Dog

try tractor supply i think they have some AKC brand kennels that look pretty good for under $300 thats what they were last time I checked.

3. game_test

game_test Top Dog

that is a damn good price im actually kinda pissed, i just bought another one like that for 419.99 it might be a little different mine is real heavy duty but that style of kennel is the way to go.

that roof isnt safe though.

4. hmmm, I may need to get one of these for the two brats

5. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

That's a pretty good price. It says it is 8ga. wire, which is stronger than 9 guage chain link, except that I dont know how the wire is welded. If it is just a spotweld, it will not be very bullet proof. To show the difference, go and look at how hog pannels are put together. You can go to lowe's and get some security pannels for 52 bucks each. they are 16 foot long, which 2 of them is enough for one of the runs, then you'd need about about 5 or 6 sticks of 1 7/8" galv. pipe, you can get seconds at a fence company for about 15 bucks ea. then you will need two sets of hinges, also get at fence company. good thing about building them yourself besides being stronger, you can put a 16" high lip at the front and a smaller gate. Also if you build it, build it to where the gate will hit the top and bottom of the pipes so that no matter how the dog hits the gate, it wont open. Then just get a chain and snap to keep door shut.

so you are looking at less than 250 bucks and having a stronger pen, as the security panels are 6ga, and not spor welded, but solid welded. You will want to put a stronger lid on the setup, and if you do make one, make sure to leave about 2" on the bottom to spray poop through. Hope this helps. After the welds, spray cold gal over the welds and it wont rust.

6. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

menards has nice quality kennels at fair prices. not sure if the winter weather is a factor in your area. they have some with snow doors, others have 32 inch full gates, others full open like the sams club pics.

have em in chain link or welded wire, available in different gauges.

check em out.

7. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

you could get a quote from a local fencing company. i had my kennel runs made up down here 6 months ago. it worked out to be right around $10 per linear foot installed. worth a shot

8. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

I looked on loews web site couldnt find security pannels are they called something else?

9. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

My pups are mostly indoor dogs but they do 2-3 hours outside everyday. They are getting old enough that I need to constantly supervise them and having one tie out and one kennel run looks like a good option.

10. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

here is a pic of what i have....
    [​IMG]

3 runs, 5'wideX60"longX6'high each.
    all told it was $2500

11. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

wow, and your dog never jumps out of that or climbs out?

12. game_test

game_test Top Dog

thats what i was thinking, mine would be out of that in a minute headed to the next one to scrap! too dangerous for my dogs!

13. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

yeah wouldnt work for me I have magnum with wire fencing on top of mine and tarps with bungee for shade just trying to go cheaper...have a options plus kennel the ultra line it is 9 gauge and it is nice too but they are at least 600 each.

14. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

for ME there is no need to top- the dog on the end is almost 12, the middle dog is blind, and the dog on the other end is trained well enough that he will not try to get out. he gets ample time on the springpole( on the big oak tree on the right) to get his energy out. it should be noted aswell that they do not sleep out there- this is just a daytime setup for these dogs.
    and bottoms of the fence are concreted-so the dogs cant go under

15. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Dont know about the lowe's web site, but they are here at the store. Go to your lowe's and if they carry hog panels and such, they should be there with them.

As to the kennel racer, that is a nice amount of room for them, nice place. At that price, what ga. fence are you using? My dogs will chew right through 11 guage like paper, and 9 ga. wouldnt stand either. At the least I would have to put a hot wire on top. With that much space, I may would even put a cable run off the ground. Man, that's a nice shop you are building there!!

16. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

17. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

That is a really nice looking set up, Rally. However no amount of training would stop my last 2 dogs from wanting to scrap. Heck, both got into fights just a week or so before they died, one of old age, the other had to be put down because of neurological problems.

That is a good set up if you have a big place and have at least a degree of supervision if you have hot dogs.

18. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

I am thinking of getting the Best in Show from sams club...I have sniffed around and their price is way better than anyone else's.

Since I will only be using the kennels for short semi-supervised periods (feeding, if I want to leave the dogs outside while answering the phone, etc.) could I get away with one of the cheaper set ups?

19. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I wouldnt try it. Better safe than sorry, know what I mean? Besides, you'd hate to spend some money on a cheaper set up just to have to spend more to replace it. It would only take a minute to tear up a cheap pen.

20. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

I use run of the mill Kennels. I do re-enforce the sh*t out of them. With more fencing and hundreds upon hundreds of Plastic Zip ties lol.