1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

I lied!

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Brubaker, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Brubaker

Brubaker Big Dog

So as I've stated in previous post I'm a long time removed from the life of a dogman. Nosing around on this forum for the last month has definitely sent me down memory lane and quite a few stories and events come rushing back here and there. Some of which might be worth sharing and this memory made me laugh my ass off so here it goes. Keep in mind only 2 people in the world know this secret I held/forgot for years. Me and my ex-wife. The names of those involved will remain as such.

There once was a well bred pup. We will call him Black. Black was bred by an oldtimer in the south and sent to Mexico as a pup. The oldtimer in Mexico sent him to be raised in CA with a family member and he was raised in the house. Black grew into a smart and beautiful dog and was sent back to mexico for a show career in which he placed 1st at least three different times before returning back to the US where he was bred. If memory serves me he won three more in the states and was retired for stud where he produced well.

Some odd years later when Black was around 9 or 10 I was visiting his owner as I did often in those days. My last bulldog had just passed of old age and I was pretty much all but out of raising dogs and focusing on being a dad and career man. Well my friend thought this was no good and before the end of the night had talked me into taking care of Black as a house dog for the rest of his days. I put up a fight but I was actually flattered and honored to feed such an animal. He was bigger than I remembered now but still as beautiful as ever and looked like he was 4-5 yrs old. He was a serious looking animal that did not beg or show affection at all. He would just quietly stare at you as if he knew that you should be the one happy to be in his presence. Before Black and I left the oldtimer's yard he gave me a warning about Black. "Hey remember what I said! He is super smart and knows how to open and get out of everything." Ok I got it. Don't worry. He will be fine I said and off we went.

I had just started moving into a house we had built at the time and most of my "guy stuff" was at the new place. My cars, tools, toys, etc. where all down stairs and I had my "man cave" already finished with a bar, big screen, and living room set. Perfect I thought. He could live down here and watch the house until school is out and we all move in. All was well for about a month. I would spend a lot of time there and he would sit on the couch watching my big screen and pretend I wasn't even around, The perfect pet right. So me and a friend from work tied one on one night as we were known to do and instead of driving drunk all the way out to my wife and bed at the old house he dropped me off to spend the night with ole Black and I passed out on the couch with him. No big deal right? Wrong. My drunk ass forgot to lock the downstairs door and when I awoke It was just me and my hangover on that couch. Door open, dog gone! Keep in mind this was in a all american suburb type gated community and all kinda fears ran through my head. What the hell was I gonna tell my friend? Needless to say I couldn't find Black anywhere and a couple months later his owner called and asked how he was and to tell me he had a bitch he was gonna send to me to breed to Black even though he had been hit or miss for years. I felt so bad and for some reason, probably ego driven, I lied and said he up and died on me. I had never lied to him or any of my friends about the dogs before and him being the nicest of gentlemen never gave it another mention after that phone conversation. Man I feel like shit just typing this! Anyway Halloween came around and a ring at the door followed by a "trick-or-treat"! I opened the door with candy in hand and to my surprise their stood a princess and a cowboy accompanied by a black pitbull all with smiles on there faces. It was GrCh. Black! He had never looked happier! I asked the kids where they got such a beautiful dog as I rubbed on Black's head. He still didn't show any care for me as if I was a stranger and after a short talk with the parents in the drive way I left well enough alone and as far as I knew Black lived happily ever after 2 streets away!

Vicki likes this.
  2. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

Crissakes, that'd make a fine book. Truly. Potentially a veritable rollarcoaster of emotion there. All you have to do is stretch it out to another fifty or sixty thousand words or so. I'm not being flippant. I can see myself having written such a book maybe fifteen or twenty years ago -- a very fine book and one to be proud of.

3. Beatrix Kiddo

Beatrix Kiddo Top Dog

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that story, glad the pup found a happy home. Thank you for sharing.

4. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Its aight Brubaker no biggie , g4g lies ALL THE TIME. LMAO

5. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

lmfao!!!!!

6. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Great story, Brubaker. Thanks for sharing.

7. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Thanks for sharing Brubaker! I would have felt like an ass but I would have told him the truth.

8. old goat

old goat CH Dog

i would have taken the dog back and i would have never lied to him about it . kids and dogs man .

9. Brubaker

Brubaker Big Dog

Of course you woulda and I damn sure shoulda! lol But it all seemed to work out better for Black so the lie is only part I would change if I could do it all over. He was raised with kids and when I saw him standing there without a leash or anything to make him stay by there side, grinning ear to ear with his tongue hanging out I just couldn't pull him away from that. Not to mention what it woulda done to those kids. Knowing that's how it turned out damn sure made me feel a lot better about leaving that door unlocked! :)

10. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

That's exactly why I hate keeping dogs for others!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. old goat

old goat CH Dog

well you had the responsibility to get that dog back and take it back to your friend even though you lied and it . i will never see it as well the dogs was in good hands . but that's just me .

12. Brubaker

Brubaker Big Dog

Man if that family only new what that animal was capable of in a different environment! Hahahahahaah! Hell he was probably worth more than they made in a year. Especially down Mexico way!

13. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I agree goat, but as you say that just a personal opinion. I would have had to get the dog back and made things right. You can look at things both ways and I understand his thoughts on it, but I'd have atleast explained the situation to the parents and worked out a situation where my friend would still be able to breed to the dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. old goat

old goat CH Dog

it's not bit funny . that dog should have been given back to the owner . you didn't just lie you gave away his dog .

15. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...old goat..you know theirs more liars in this game than most...but i do understand what ya saying......but i also understand brubaker....hell that was a great movie...(brubaker)....."NOW...I WANT ME DADDYS DOG BACK".....lol...

16. Brubaker

Brubaker Big Dog

Trust me old goat if the dog was still that fertile he woulda never left that oldtimers yard. When I say hit or miss its more like miss. But don't think I haven't thought about it from that stand point. I do take it all with a grain because back then we were all from the "school of hustle" if you will. And I can assure you he had got the better of me and I of him through the years on other occasions. It was just part of the game as most of us saw it. And I don't just mean the dog game. But that's not to say that I was right by plain out lying to him. Like I said, that part I would change. Not the part about his new home. Thats is what made it worse. He was the type that woulda agreed and let them keep Black too if I woulda took the time to ask him. Live and learn.

17. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...prob;..all miss he was out to graze...at that age,and i say your pal knew that..

18. old goat

old goat CH Dog

doesn't matter if the dog was fertile . you did the wrong thing . i wonder what the guy in mexico would have to say ? and please never act like the rest of us would say oh yeah it was the right thing to do no it wasn't . i don't sale or give dogs away for this reason . how do you know the guy would of gave the dog to a little kid . most people i know would never give a kid a weapon new or old .

bgblok68 likes this.
  19. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Moral of the story> most people would rather lie then take the blame for there own mistakes LMAO

20. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I'm certainly no moralist, yet I believe strongly in many cultural decencies. It sounds to me as though one of your problems was that it happened on the spur of the moment, and you had little to no time to make a decision while thinking on your feet. You saw how happy the dog was and while touching you, you may have forgotten certain moral responsibility, given the suddenness of the situation.

You probably made a mistake based on miscalculation due to these things. In a lucid moment, I am sure I would have quickly gotten their address so I could have a talk with their parents. Given the kids were an age at which they still went trick or treating, they surely weren't old enough to be totally responsible for a dog of those credentials. Hell, many grown ups aren't that qualified. I doubt your job was to parent them and tend to their emotions, and a chat with their folks would leave that job to them, as it should be.

As I said, I'm no judge of these things. Just my take from what you write. I'm glad it all turned out well in the end. How many of us are without incidents in our life we wish we had to do over again? I'd say none of us.

I do know one thing about those things we wish we had to do over again. Thinking of them is proof that whatever it was.......we fucked it up. LOL T.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015