1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hypocrite......

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by DryCreek, Mar 23, 2007.

1. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

yes i agree the dogs owners should be held respponsable fot letting their dogs roam,there's just something about the whole story that doesnt sound right,a little to cliche

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2007
  2. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

Yea I agree. And that is why I do not let my cats outside. To many risks. FIV FELV, URI, other animals getting ahold of them, cars. AC. THe vaccine for FIV will show a positive FIV test so you do not know if your cats has it or its from the vaccine, also the FELV vaccine is only about 80% effective.

I have 1 declawed and 1 kitten that is not. I just had to PTS 1 of my cats because of health reasons.

But even if you let out a cat in a fenced back yard you are still putting that cat at risk of getting out. If cats can climb trees they can get out of the fence. But IMO letting your cat out is irresponsible. But again thats my opinion. When you let your cat out you are accepting that risk that it may not come back alive. Even if it was her fenced in yard. Animals get in and animals get out.

If you want your cat to go outside build an enclosure.

But it boils down to an irresponsible dog owner. And I do feel for her.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2007
  3. toby'smom

toby'smom Pup

I don't think banning the breed is fair, but perhaps they need to have some guidelines for keeping PB within city limits. All in all, it was the dogs who left their yard and caused the trouble. Where I live, it wouldn't matter what the breed was, if it was unattended and loose and did that, the owner better get some hip waders cuz' they'd be in some deep caca.

4. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

i think most cities do have guidlines for all dogs that wouldve prevented this situation,the problem is idiots who dont follow them wouldnt follow pit-bull specific guidlines either.

5. toby'smom

toby'smom Pup

That's true enough, the owner didn't do anything when there had been a complaint about his dog prior, so he must not have taken it very seriously. By the same token, the city had a chance to insist he do somethng about it, and they failed to do so either. It's a lose-lose situation.

6. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

See I like kitty cats. And until I joined this forum and until I talked to my neighbor (who had her neighbors' cats pooping in her flower beds) I never considered that letting cats be "free spirits" might inconvenience anyone. So how are we all gonna be responsible and let the dog lovers and the cat lovers co-exist with happy and healthy pets?
    Actually, though, although I like kitties, if I had to chose, I'll have dogs.

7. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

I think cats should be under the same laws as dogs,laws such as not being alowed to roam freely.Alot of people who let their cats go all over the place are just like people who let their dogs do it.They have no respect for other peoples property.For some reason though,it is acceptable for cats.My neighbor has about five outside cats and they annoy the hell out of me.They poop in my rock garden,the get in the dumpster at night,they walk all over my car,they get into fights at five in the morning,they sit by the window to drive the dogs crazy.But its okay because they are cats.Could you imagine if i took my dogs to her yard everyday to poop?cat owners just need to take resposability for their animals.

8. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

How many places are there where cats are required to be registered and tagged like dogs? What about charges/fees for roaming cats picked up by A/C compared to dogs? I think cats should be regulated the same as dogs.

No matter what type of animals you own, cats, dogs, goats, rabbits, cows, horses.....they should be contained or restrained properly on your own property.

The way I look at it, if it gets off your property and out of your control, all bets are off. I tell you, if I could have caught the cow I found on my front lawn the other week, my freezer would have been full of steaks LOL.

This post was NOT started so people could bash on the woman about putting her cat outside, it was posted to point out how easy it is for BSL to start in any neighborhood. I looked at the breed she owns and was blown away. Boston's can be holy terrors with other animals for goodness sakes. It's a terrier isn't it? LOL

All it takes is ONE irresponsible owner to allow an incident to happen for BSL to rear it's ugly head. Not all people are realists about animal behavior. They take it very personally when they lose an pet.

9. simms

simms CH Dog

................:)

10. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Man that dog looks like that ugly ass woman, poor dog.

11. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

Twenty years ago I would have felt that anyone who suggested keeping cats restrained was a fool. But I have become more tolerant and considerate as I have grown older and have lived in houses closer to others. We have to respect our neighbors and have some consideration for them and their gardens and lawns. Obviously the "pit bull" owner didn't care what his dogs did. The owner let the dogs run around. Good post about how easily BSL can be started and how many people confuse dog aggression or prey drive with human aggression. There is also the point that two or more dogs are a "pack" and will behave differently than a single dog.
    Of course the lady is upset and is going to use any arguement to support her position. I have had loose aggressive dogs in my neighborhood and I , too, feared for the neighborhood children. Kids don't have much sense or judgement and may very well run up to strange dogs and , of course, their faces are right at tooth level.
    Many parents let their kids run wild through the neighborhood just like many irresponsible dog owners let their dogs run loose. I suppose all here read the post about the child who had her lip ripped off by the golden retreiver? The Mom wasn't watching her kid. It's just a tragedy.
    So look Dry Creek, you make a good point about animals being restrained on their own property. I think the golden retreiver was chained on his owner's property, so it was just a lack of sense and responsibility on everyone's part(The incident with the child and the golden). Apparently the Boston Terrier lady had her cat in her fenced in yard. How big was the fence? It doesn't say. But we know it is going to take a special fence to contain a "pit bull".
    As for me, I am super cautious and careful with my dog and I wish I had known many years ago what I know now, because I was not always so conscientious. Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes when you exercise poor judgement. It is human nature to blame others for one's mistakes, hence the woman's desire to ban "pit bulls." It could have been GSDs or Dobermans who jumped her fence but it wasn't. They are up for their own special BSL so we should really try hard to make people realize how serious it is to let their dogs(of any breed) run loose.
    I recall several members of this board reporting how their dogs got out repeatedly. These owners are putting the whole breed at risk.
    You are right Simms, this breed isn't for everyone. I would even venture to say that dog ownership (of any breed) isn't for everyone.

12. vena

vena Pup

one thing i can say is that i hate roaming cats. there arent any laws on cats roaming loose where i live, or at least i dont think there is. I always find them on my truck leaving paw prints after i just washed it. I've even found a few small scratches from them. really pisses me off. I think the owners of the pit bulls are at fault. i see some people jumping on her for leaving her cat in the back yard, but what if it would have been a shitzu or min schnauzer. it could have been the same exact story. i have heard many storys similar to this that has happened to personal friends of mine. one of my friends had a min schnauzer and the pit bull next store ripped off his paw through the chain link fence. another friend had a german sheperd and he was killed by the neighbors pit bulls. this is why we have to keep our dogs on chains or in kennels. i always wondered why most pit bull owners would keep their dogs on chains. I used to think it was cruel. I now understand why. they are escape artist and extremely animal agressive. to be a responsible owner you cant take a risk not haveing them on a chain.

13. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

This cat was not roaming. This cat was in his own yard. And while cats are not really ones to recognize yard boundaries, I doubt this cat could get out of the yard - it weighed 21lbs, which is huge for a cat & he was no doubt quite overweight (look at her Boston!), so I doubt the cat was a proficent runner or jumper.

As for why the dogs ran, it might have something to do w/ the guy who was going to beat them w/ the shovel!

I myself own 4 cats, none of whom go outside. Now, when we lived on a farm & had no nearby neighbors who the cats could bother, I let them out. But now I have several neighbors (who ironically let their dogs run at large) so all my cats are strictly indoor cats.

As for laws, there are laws in almost every city about roaming cats. So don't tell me there aren't any cat laws out there. In fact, some cat laws are stricter than dog laws! For example, in one town the owner of the cat is subject to a $100 fine for the first time the cat steps on a neighbor's property & a $500 fine for every time thereafter!

I haven't heard any dog laws like that! maybe if they started slapping dog owners w/ $500 fines each time their dog got out, we'd have fewer dog-related incidents.

JMHO ...

14. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I apologize as I feel I took this thread off topic. I certainly do NOT blame the cat owner in this incident if the cat was indeed in the owner's own fenced in backyard.

I just assumed everyone knew my stance & how much it pisses me off to hear stories about people's "pit bulls" roaming the streets & causing problems. But alas, assuming only made an ass out of me. ;)

And I'm all for a $500 fine the first time your dog gets out & a $1,000 PLUS having your dog taken from you for good the second time it gets out. If your dog gets loose once, I understand it can be a freak accident. If it gets loose twice, your an irresponsible owner who did nothing to correct the problem or you just don't give a rat's behind.