1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hyperextending hock joint?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jrpitdog, Apr 3, 2013.

1. jrpitdog

jrpitdog Pup

Noticed one of my young dogs hock joints goes past vertical when walking. She seems like she in no pain. I have felt it and she dosent seem to mind. Anybody have this issue before? Is it hereditary?

2. What your dog has is referred to as slipping hocks. It is not good, and will seriously impede the dogs rear drive. In the grand scheme of things you have a pet and not a working dog now. Working it will only cause the dog more problems.

3. jrpitdog

jrpitdog Pup

I actually came across this Double Jointed. This is exactly what my dogs legs are doing, its only when shes walking slow and fully extended.

4. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

My chihuahua has that, it looks terrible :(

5. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I am pretty sure like BOogie said, that it is a slipping hock.

6. ABD456

ABD456 Big Dog

Yip slipping hock. So that means not serious weight pull, no serious high jump, basically no serious work for the rear legs that includes heavy landing else you will be risking serious injury or possible lameness

7. The dumbasses in that thread don't know wtf they are talking about. It's slipping hocks and is a serious issue for a dog that is meant to work. Convince yourself otherwise if you want, but just like always the dog pays the price in the end.

8. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

lol double jointed lolololol

9. jrpitdog

jrpitdog Pup

yup you guys are right, slipping hocks. I have never had a dog or even seen a dog with this issue in the 10 years with these dogs. Well that settles the question of breeding to her :( Thanks for the info guys

10. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

As far as i know its a under divelops jointcase/socked. In milder cases it thussend have to be a problem. muscles tendons and Attachmends can cary a lot of the stabilety needed for the under divelopmend. But it stays a weakness in the stifel frame . 80% of the driving force of a dog comes from the stifel..PS breeding should be NO problem if your breeding OUTSIDE her bloodline