1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Huge Morel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pitbulld0gs, Apr 29, 2018.

1. pitbulld0gs

pitbulld0gs Top Dog Staff Member

Anybody else hunt the fungi? We went out for a bit this morning, all we found was bases that someone already picked.

31300818_1714405885265374_6208253232116924416_n.jpg

The Keep Book likes this.
  2. kiwidogman

kiwidogman Top Dog

How do you prep those? Assuming you eat them?

pitbulld0gs likes this.
  3. Holocaust

Holocaust Match dog

Rinse and fry

pitbulld0gs likes this.
  4. kiwidogman

kiwidogman Top Dog

Sliced thin & fried with bacon?

CarolinaScratchKing likes this.
  5. Jacob

Jacob Top Dog

HOLY SH##. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A DAMN MUSHROOM LIKE THAT. ITS A MUTANT. ONLY IF THEY WERE THAT BIG AND MAGIC

F.D. and pitbulld0gs like this.
  6. Holocaust

Holocaust Match dog

We coat them in breading and fry them whole along with catfish usually. No slicing. Just bread and deep fry.

The Keep Book, F.D. and pitbulld0gs like this.
  7. kiwidogman

kiwidogman Top Dog

Just a few minutes in the deep fryer, like the fish? Always interested in new food & drink.

Hope I'm not thread jacking. I love food & am blessed to be able to eat what I want, when I want. Mid 40s & 180lb. Put it down to being active all day, everyday.

pitbulld0gs likes this.
  8. Carolinacur

Carolinacur Big Dog

That is a huge morel....

pitbulld0gs likes this.
  9. pitbulld0gs

Not thread jacking at all bro, they are one of the best mushrooms to eat which is why we pick them. You can eat them whole or slice them in half. Breaded and fried in a pan with some oil is the best! It's up to you what you eat them with, some times we just eat them by themselves... I get on FB this morning and see my buddy found some, i know he wasnt hunting the same area we was, i took my daughter out of school today to go hunt again hehe.

10. pitbulld0gs

Might be the biggest ive ever seen...

Nice little batch my buddy and his wife found.

31682439_158194881684760_4383732626351980544_o.jpg

11. Holocaust

Holocaust Match dog

You shed hunt too?

pitbulld0gs likes this.
  12. Carolinacur

Carolinacur Big Dog

I shed hunt. I’ll send a picture of my collection when I get home. I also do a lot of arrowhead hunting.

I’ll do anything you can burn one and then burn up some time. I really enjoy a good treasure hunt of any kind.

pitbulld0gs and Holocaust like this.
  13. Holocaust

Holocaust Match dog

I had a friend up north who trained a mounain cur to sniff out and find shed for him. We used to throw them to the dogs for chews. They're great defangers for hunters too.

pitbulld0gs likes this.
  14. Holocaust

Holocaust Match dog

He also would take a sack and hitter and get blitzed doing so. I miss running bank poles, guzzling a case of beer and smoking a 1/4 a night in hitters lol.

I don't have anyone here to go "rednecking" with.

pitbulld0gs likes this.
  15. Carolinacur

Carolinacur Big Dog

Iv got a pile of em. Could have used a dog this year. was lookin hard for the other half of a very nice 8. Once spring happens and the woods fill out things get a lil challenging.

That sounds like a fantastic time. Nothing like a little woods adventure. Give me a shout if you end up in the area. Got a lake through a nice patch of woods behind my house and the crappie are biting.

16. pitbulld0gs

Crappie are biting then the shrooms are up! I always use the crappie bite as an indicator that the shrooms are popping.

I think i over did it a little yesterday lol, i didnt want to smell like stinky pungent flowers all day with my daughter so i ate a little concentrate and we went creekin. Wound up asleep by 9 last night and im hung over today haha. Them concentrates will get ya lol, a dose about the size of a piece of rice is usually plenty for me but i ate two pieces yesterday :))

17. pitbulld0gs

I don't but the older i get and the more i enjoy the woods these days i may start, even if its only for dog chews. I mean ive always liked being outdoors and in the woods but now that im older, i enjoy it even more.

18. The Keep Book

The Keep Book Reclusive Misanthrope

OK, there are huge black morels Morchella elata here in CA but that thing is by far the biggest Morchella I have seen of any species. (I am guessing it is a yellow morel Morchella esculenta.) Pitbulld0gs, how do you preserve them? Morels are among my all-time fav edible fungi, along with Cantharellus cibarius, Boletus edulis and truffles.

FWIW, I slice morels in two lengthwise to check for invertebrates before sauteeing them in butter. I want to try stuffing and deep-frying them. That particular specimen, I could likely stuff with a whole chicken cut into chunks (as opposed to stuffing a chicken with the mushrooms). Of course, my doggone mouth is watering from reading this thread.

kiwidogman and pitbulld0gs like this.
  19. The Keep Book

The Keep Book Reclusive Misanthrope

A lousy shot of an awesome book: the back cover of Mushrooms Demystified showing author David Arora with some humongous CA black morels. IMG_20180605_091859.jpg

pitbulld0gs likes this.
  20. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Eggs..cracker crumbs...fry in butter.
    That is a huge one

kiwidogman likes this.