1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How to start conditioning?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by freakfingers12, Aug 31, 2010.

1. I feed raw.

2. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Feeding should be done within 30 min after a hard work out. The feed should provide predigested protiens and carbs to make the nutrients available quicker. If you're aiming for a specific weight you should weigh the dog and then feed immediately afterwards.

3. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Check PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. rikjd

rikjd Pup

Id use water personally, milk takes ages to digest, so maybe start with water then mix in a little milk over time so the dog gains a tolerance. Anything is better then nothing and this way you can experiment and find what your dog works best with.

5. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Don't give your dog milk.

6. Trelos

Trelos Big Dog

Been told the same thing. Not to sure why though,think it gives em the runs.

7. rikjd

rikjd Pup

could you maybe use puppy milk or condensed milk? i know your not supposed to give dogs mik due to them not being able to digest it etc, like i said personally i would just use water, i know bodybuilders who dont use milk and still get the main benefits from protein shakes etc.

8. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

When i was a athlete i would just take my sups mixed in water. On the dairy note though what is it that makes dairy bad for dogs and is it really. Also what is the deal with chocolate.. i was on vacation this past week and got a few dog cookies dipped in white chocolate. i figured it was yogurt but when i asked she said no its white chocolate and it is fine for dogs its the dark chocolate that is the problem. I also heard it is just the caffein that is the problem but then people give there dogs caffein so i am just lost?

9. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Ow and with a dog how do you get the fat off the organs and the insides. I suppose it is just like with us... a good low fat diet, count the calories and long long steady runs or bike rides or the gay machines at the gym that any self respecting man will never step on.

10. punch650

punch650 Big Dog

so can i use a bike to run vs walking?

11. Yas

Yas Big Dog

Counting Calories: The energy balance theory

Why it isn`t a good way to look at things: Food stimulates hormones - different kinds of foods stimulate different kinds of hormones.

Insulin is responsible for reducing blood sugar and for storing fat.
    Glucagon is responsible for raising blood sugar and releasing fat.
    Carbs stimulate insulin more than any other food.
    Insulin inhibits fat burning.
    Insulin moves fat and sugar into the fat cells and keeps them there. Lowering insulin allows fat burning to take place.

Glucagon shifts metabolism into "burning" mode.
    Converts protein and fat into glucose.
    Releases fat from fat cells for use as energy.

Protein:
    Stimulates metabolism (thermogenesis)
    Stimulates glucagon
    Is very satiating

Carbohydrate:
    Generally has the highest effect on blood sugar
    Has the greatest effect on insulin

Fat:
    Does not stimulate insulin

The percentage of fat in the diet has no connection with any major health outcome, including obesity.
    If a diet of almost 90% fat was eaten, cholesterol numbers would probably drop because there would not be enough insulin around to power the cholesterol making process. In humans a diet high in fat and carbohydrate eg. a donut - virtually guarantees high cholesterol and high triglycerides.

Basically means a low carb diet is much better than a low fat one.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
  12. TASOSCHATZ

TASOSCHATZ Big Dog

Recent studies on human subjects sugest that when three popular diets' outcome is compared (low fat/high carb, mediterranian diet and Atkins diet) the participants in the Atkins diet lost more weight and had the best HDL / LDL ratio (the "good" cholesterol levels increased more than in any other diet). A bit off topic, but another study about egg consumption showed that as long as the subjects do not gain weight, the cholesterol levels didn't change, indicating that it is not the cholesterol content of eggs that causes raise of the values in humans but the increase in calories and the resulting higher weight.

13. show us a pick of the dog your working with .