1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How to start conditioning?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by freakfingers12, Aug 31, 2010.

1. I wanna start conditioning my dog, and can someone please teach me more about the feeding part? How much should I feed? She around 20kgs. And HIIT, I saw a member here mentioning about it. How do I practice HIIT with my dog? I used to train HIIT and I know its very intense and tiring so I'm not so sure if my dog will be fine with that or not.

2. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

You dont have to really focus on exact amounts of feeding until you know the desired weight your dog will work best at. I would recommend keeping it simple until you get more experience working the dog. If your dog is not over weight, then maintain the same amount of food and just start walking as frequent as possible until the fat and muscle start to burn and tone. Once you get the dog to the weight or look you prefer, then start focusing on feeding specific amounts to maintain the desired weight you want. As the dog gets into better shape, start incorporating more exercises into your routine. JMO

3. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

^^^ Yes everything Purepit said, take it slow & keep it simple, because a dog can easily get injured & that will only set you back. Most importantly before you start your conditioning regimen, make sure your vet gives him a clean bill of health, nothing's worse than working your dog with underlying health problems, parasites, etc. Good luck and have fun with your dog :dogtongue:

4. Ahh, thanks for the tips. So I was thinking, how much exercise is enough exercise? She's around 1 year old. And how do I start having her dragging chains?

5. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

If she's that young, just stick to walking and running around at the park or something. Me personally, I don't do any strength training until 15 months.

6. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Hit the trails around your area...walk a hour in the morning and hour in the evening! (If time permits of course!!) Its good for the dogs senses and allows a young dog to experience many things including other wild animals you may come across!

YIS

7. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

GO SLOW.. REAL SLOW YOUR DOG IS YOUNG STILL. I am pretty ne to this but i would use this as a guide, read through it all and use common sense. Best thing i heard said in this is a dog can be conditioned many ways its all up to the conditioner. I say get your dog walking 2-3 hours a day and then start adding running 5 min at a time with rest between till you can run 30 min at a moderate pace and have the dog recover the next day and ready for more. Then you are ready to get serious! I would say 2-3 months of walking at the age of your pup with 2-3 hours of walking a day and you should have a pup that would be hard to hurt.

youwww.riospitbull.com/the_keep.htm

8. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

at that age walking n playn everyday shuld b all the exercise ur dog needs.at 16-18 mnoths then more walkn,running,sum treadmill,n a lil spring pole.i wuldnt do much strength training.but thats just me

9. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

I might get the dog on a mill now just easy and let it walk. I waited till about a year and my dog would not go near the thing. With my second pup i put him on at 6 months and he is all good to go and he is a lazy bully. The one that wont do it is a pit bull.

10. I walk her twice daily, for about 1 1/2 hours with ocassional runs and jogs, and finally use the flirtpole if she has any remaining energy left. I intend to let her try dragging chains once she hits 18 months actually, sorry for the lack of information. How did you guys introduced the chain?

11. kalenhcc

kalenhcc Big Dog

Ive never done anything with chain work but some weight pulling. Very slow process you cant jump into it to fast. Im sure chain work is the same way. Walking jogging flirtpole and springpole are the best basic things you can do for your dog for exercise imo. I add in some fun different stuff around that though. Good luck with your dog.

12. Ricky1969

Ricky1969 Big Dog

feed the dog carbs and protein the same stuff the body builders uses before you walk and after you walk the dog so there muscle can recover right after the work out !!!alot of folks work there dogs and wait till feed them like hour later what do you think there Muscles are doing till they get to eat not good and even after they eat it still takes awhile to get into there system not good for the dogs at all

13. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

I was told it's a good idea to give about a teaspoon full of plain yogurt before a work out? Also I thought your not suppose to feed right after a heavy work out? or is this just towards walking that you can feed them right afterwords? because I will wait until she seems to have calmed down and then will feed.

14. Ricky1969

Ricky1969 Big Dog

no food after the work out but you dont want them to sit there after the work out and let there Muscles get hurt the Carbs and whey Protien mix is given right after the work out so there muscles will hold up till they get to get real food every body got there own ways of working there dogs this just is the way I was told to do it as a starter . I only do Adba fun shows with mine though :cool:

15. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

feeding before walking is not a very good idea

16. popper

popper CH Dog

dont feed a whole meal after a hard workout , just what we gym rats calla post workout shake but make it for your dog... should be light with no fat and only protein and carbs to replnish any gylcogen and protein loos in the muscle.

17. Ricky1969

Ricky1969 Big Dog

yes no food before the workout just the protien and cabs what the body builders uses and the same after they need some carbs for the work out and some afters

18. Ok I am very familar with the protien an carbs for humans. I think it will be a good bonding experince also for me an my hound to hit a protien shake before a walk.. I like to mix it with milk should I give it milk or mix it with water:dogdrink:.. I dont want him to have the shits but I guess his stomach will have to get use to it. What about test booster?? LoL the last one was a joke....

19. The only thing I can say for draging a chain is to get them use to having something following them so they dont get spooked.. also i see alot of ppl fail at it because they put there dog on a sled with wieght an walk in front of the dog an try to call it.. I have seen the best is too walk next to them with a leash like you are walking them. an have some one push the cart so they know they can pull it.. Its all about out smarting the dog let him know he can pull any amount of wieght..

Even when comp pulls a dog was unable to pull it on its own they will push the cart so the dog can make it down the track so it hasnt failed.. obviously it doesnt count but it gives the dog confidence.... just some f.y.i later down the road

20. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

To know how much to feed you must weight your dog several times a day...what do you feed? Kibble? Raw? or both?

YIS