1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How much to feed?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Phillip, Oct 7, 2009.

1. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I agree, he's a pup and I would not worry about it right now. Cute though...

2. He looks great...I'd say just make sure he's full, if he looks like he's being overfed what's the worst that would happen? You cut back his food lol
    I was worried for a while my pup was heavy, but as he got older, he's been leaning out.

BTW I've been looking at the ingredients and comparing this is what I came up with-

TOP BRANDS TO FEED WITH BEST NATURAL INGREDIENTS:
    Great Life
    Solid Gold
    Innoca/ EVO
    Newman's Own Organic
    Timberwolf

TOP WORST BASED ON GRAINS & 'DRAINED' NUTRIENTS/ CARBS:
    Eagle Pack
    Bil Jak
    Nutro
    Nature's Recipe
    Diamond
    Canidae

DogFoodProject.com - there are old posts but very helpful in showing you what to look for and avoid when shopping for dog food

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I have used TOTW for about 7 months now, and I feed my 44lb 9 month old pup, 2 cups a day and my 38lb 3yr old bitch gets the same, the pup is a beast an looks like hes conditioned 24/7 and my female stays about 2lbs heavy (she actually gets 3 1/2 cups a day right now because she is nursing pups and she looks great), both dogs are worked regularly (well the femals hasn't due to the pups, she's been put on chill mode till the pups are welped) and my vet complements me every time he sees my dogs as to how phenominal they look, several times a visit.

4. AGK

TOTW (Prarrie Blend only) is rated as a class 5 dog food, higest classification along with several other brands, while it just makes it in to that class, it still is a top dog food (kibble). Timberwolf and Origen and some others others are not sold everywhere I have never seen either brand here and TOTW is only sold 2 places here. Theres a link on one of these threads with some real good info on how they rate dog foods and the break down of the classes, you just gotta do a lil research.;)

5. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Amen to that AGK. I had fed most of the top foods due to a dog with allergies. For the money, TOTW is def. the best I have tried. Stools are good, dogs love it, can swap among the different formulas without stomach upset and they love the variety. Plus like you said, they look amazing!

6. TRUEPITS

TRUEPITS Big Dog

My experience was that my dogs since they are so active they lost alot of weight with TOW compared to Timberwolf I would feed tripple the amount that I did with Timberwolf. The coat of my sable bitch was not as shiney as she was in Timberwolf...Another thing also what started happening and which afried of mine which switched to TOW also since it was cheaper teeth of dogs were not as white I give my dogs now on top of kibbles meaty bones once a week to keep their teeth white. But overall my experience with TOW was horrible for the next might not be...But from my experience Timberwolf I fed less my dogs were full coats were shiney like glass and their weight I was able to manage better with Timberwolf...

7. TRUEPITS

TRUEPITS Big Dog

brat you have seen my lil sable bitch KAli she pulls? she has some serious allergies ever since she was a pup she is the one that I have to build a great diet on...My other dogs can eat rocks and they are great...Well ON TOW her coat went dim, went lighter she was flaky. It was hard to manage her weight My dogs were pooping a lot more I think because I had to feed them a lot more usually for me when I have to feed a dog a lot more to me there is more fillers in that food especially if I'm feeding them so much and they are still losing weight and are hungry. TIMberwolf organics I fed them one small bowl a day...They were incredible condition, everyone that saw my dogs asked what I used...The only downside of Timberwolf is they are pricey taht is why i did decide to try TOW...but didn't even want to finishe the bag I threw ti away and went back to Timberwolf Organics. I have also tried Canine Caviar which was equally godo to Timberwolf their prices retail is high as well compared to TOW...and Yes timberwolf is harder to find...But so far out of all the dog food I have tried form eagle pack hollistic, to TOW, to Diamond Timberwolf and Canine Caviar are still top of the list...

8. mindogg

mindogg Pup

9. Phillip

Phillip Pup

Thanks everyone for your responses.

With 1.5cups of TOTW in the morning and 1.5cups in the evening, he Poops 3 times a day and each one is huge (full grown rottweiler size huge). How much are your dogs pooping a day?

10. Hello Phillip! I saw the picture of the pup and can tell he is nice an plumpy! IF he was an adult, i would have said it was a bit overweight. I suggest you continue feeding 1-1.5 cups 2x day until he reaches a year or so. Then gradually cut his feed until you notice a tuck in his stomach.

11. AGK

They empty once a day, the stools are no where near the size of rottweiller stool, more like 2 or 3 turds that are less than the size of a U.S. dollar bill, solid consistancy, good color (if there is such a thing for shit....lol) But I only feed once a day 9:30pm. I get up at 6:30am to get ready for work and let them out, they do there thing on such a routine that when 9:30pm or 6 -7am they start acting up as if they know what time it is. But, different foods effect different dogs differently.....lmao, if that makes any sence to you.

12. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

Handsome pup,he looks pretty good but if he is going that much he is basicly shittin money ;) Cut back a little maybe a quarter or half cup each feeding.Keep your eye on him and his energy level.Also you can add spoonful of plain yogurt,he'll love it and it aids in absorbition.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2009
  13. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Forgot this as one off the BEST...Orijen/Acana by Champion Petfoods!

YIS

14. jamminbce

jamminbce Pup

Im feeding orijen 6-fish right now and Im scared to get off it. Zero to little shedding and my dog doesn't scratch like she used to. I started her on wellness but the hair-loss, shedding, and itching had me wasting money at the vet. Oh yea her muscle tone is crazy and I only walk her , fetch, and light flirtpole work.

15. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

wow I havent had to experiance any problems like this but I have noticed that dogs that get hotspots it normaly is a result of its genes the same with the mange

I say this because Ive seen times where a litter of went to seperate yards

and a few of them lost all of their hair some of them didnt
    all were healthy and fat kept in clean conditions

never thought food had any thing to do with it

16. jamminbce

jamminbce Pup

I went to vet to get scrape and came back neg. So I switched to the orijen and no more hotspots. She was shedding a ton every day and I never really thought anything of it. I brushed her every day also. Since the switch she hardly scratches and very little hair compared to before the switch. Her breath stinks like fish but I deal. Her energy is great and little poops. I think Im stuck cause now if I switch and sysmptoms come back It would feel like starting over.

17. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

The Orijen is one I haven't tried. I heard the Innova Evo is good too. My bitch still gets hot spots every now and then. If I am feeding it to only one of my dogs, I could afford to check it out. The store in my area that carried the Timberwolf went out of business so unless I order online I can forget that one. I had her on raw for a while and probably didn't do it quite right and overfed. So she is a little fatty now. And her exercise level isn't going to improve because gun season is right around the corner here for deer and the bitch will suck a turd back up in her throat practically if she hears gunshots. You might get a pee out of her and then she runs for the house.

18. Phillip

Phillip Pup

Yesterday I decided to try something different.

After reading this: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pic...8&blobtype=pdf (thanks Rocky)

and this: http://orijen.ca/orijen/ORIJEN_White_Paper.pdf

along with this forum and talking to others, I decided that not only was I feeding my guy too much (3 cups a day of TOTW) but that TOTW might not be all that its cracked up to be.

I decided to go with Orijen Regional Red. I liked the fact that they actually list their calcium and phosphorus. I was not a fan of Diamond and they make TOTW. Lots of the stuff comes from China. Orijen does not freeze any of their meats and has their own hormone free farms (so they claim).

Now before I get flamed, this is an experiment for me and I will let you know how it goes. My dog has had the same food since 8 weeks and I know its good to switch things up. I am also dropping him down to 2 cups a day and will monitor him. I could eat my words and find out that Orijen is crap and TOTW is better? We will see.

Thanks to all for the PM's and Replies on this thread. :)

19. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Good choice...:)

YIS

20. jamminbce

jamminbce Pup

Def start on the low end. I feed 2 cups and she's doing great.